Oppo Camp How do you feel about Daisy now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Was confident the window had closed shut by 2014, in fact earlier than that. But certainly didn't think the window would reopen in 2018. I got that one wrong.
Yep you did, apologies to Bucks I guess.

Don't necessarily have a problem with him like I did when he first deflected but I do cringe when I'm watching the scum these days and notice that he's always trying to play the tough guy. When there's a melee or a bit of verbal going on he's always right in the thick of it which is fine but if a game's on the line and in need of someone to stand up and find an extra gear then he's nowhere to be seen which is frankly a sad state of affairs when you consider he effort he used to give when he was wearing stripes. You think back to when he was with us and he would always be the one to want to get on with it and not engage in any bullshit and go and put his head over the footy. Personally I think he would sincerely regret choosing an extra zero or two on his bank balance over playing in a half decent side but as they say he's made his bed. To answer the question no I don't hate him but as others have said I barely think of or notice him anymore which is kind of tragic considering the footballer he could have become.

Yep, he’s a flog and a filthy sniper on the field these days. I know you’re meant to honour premiership players no matter what but he out of anyone, makes it very hard.
Honestly hate the bloke and I pity him and his pathetic career post Collingwood!

A Collingwood premiership player who played his best football for Collingwood. Had a very short but incredible prime of two years (10/11) with injuries robbing him of who he once was. And he was one of the best in the competition level special.

Collingwood's compensation of pick 11 for him was well overs.

Had his best and only passable season on performance with Carlton last year, prolonging his career.

If I saw him in the street I'd shake his hand, congratulate him on the 2010 flag and continue walking.

Yep you did, apologies to Bucks I guess.

You see I don't get personal when it comes to players/coaches hence no hate nor love. Just observations some right some not so right. Though I might make an exception for the likes of Kelly, Pert and McGuire but hate wouldn't be the word. Fair to say I'm not a fan of people who put self interest/agendas ahead of the club.

But based on your above criteria, maybe Bucks should apologise to me for 2014-17. Pretty silly stance/argument really, don't you think?

I wish Buckley all the best for the next 3 years and hope we win a flag or two. However, if we don't, I would like to think that after some 11 years, all parties involved will do the right thing and stand down. But you know what, I can't be sure they will.

You see I don't get personal when it comes to players/coaches hence no hate nor love. Just observations some right some not so right. Though I might make an exception for the likes of Kelly, Pert and McGuire but hate wouldn't be the word. Fair to say I'm not a fan of people who put self interest/agendas ahead of the club.

But based on your above criteria, maybe Bucks should apologise to me for 2014-17. Pretty silly stance/argument really, don't you think?

I wish Buckley all the best for the next 3 years and hope we win a flag or two. However, if we don't, I would like to think that after some 11 years, all parties involved will do the right thing and stand down. But you know what, I can't be sure they will.
Bucks wouldn't even know you are alive, let alone apologise to you

Bucks wouldn't even know you are alive, let alone apologise to you

Read the comment again pal. I was trying to make the point it is a ridiculous notion that I should apologise to Buckley after 1 good year just because of my position on his coaching. Naturally he doesn't know me and I'm sure he wouldn't apologise to me either. Why would he? Man you guys are defensive when it comes to this guy. You must know him well.

Sometimes I feel not everyone on here really barracks for Collingwood.

Just a passing thought....

Might be the heat...

Man you guys are defensive when it comes to this guy.
He cops it from every other supporter, (or non supporter) of every other club.
Surely, we as supporters of our Club, (the one he has bled for and given his all to) should be the ones defending him?

Surely, we as supporters of our Club, (the one he has bled for and given his all to) should be the ones defending him?
But if you’re a non supporter then, well....

Usually your own supports same, usually.

Surely, we as supporters of our Club, ("the one he has bled for and given his all to") should be the ones defending him?

"....." - no doubt true but this is an emotional view when assessing the performance of highly paid coaches in a fiercely competitive environment. I readily admit last year's finish surprised me and full credit to Bucks / other coaches / players / Maxy / football dept etc etc for going within an ace of a flag. I'm confident we'll do well this year.

Prior to the "review" the club's on field performance was not what we hoped for. Head coaches (rightly or wrongly) cop the blow torch - that goes with the gig.

Favourite sons who have "bled and given their all" are not immune from scrutiny / sacking - ask Kevin Bartlett, Bill Goggin, Wayne Schimmelbusch, Alex Jesaulenko, Tony Shaw, Peter Schwab, Michael Voss, Matthew Primus etc etc

Credit to Bucks for last year's turnaround - however coaches must and will be assessed on team performance - not only loyalty and love

EFA

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"....." - no doubt true but this is an emotional view when assessing the performance of highly paid coaches in a fiercely competitive environment. I readily admit last year's finish surprised me and full credit to Bucks / other coaches / players / Maxy / football dept etc etc for going within an ace of a flag. I'm confident we'll do well this year.

Prior to the "review" the club's on field performance was not what we hoped for. Head coaches (rightly or wrongly) cop the blow torch - that goes with the gig.

Favourite sons who have care not immune from scrutiny / sacking - ask Kevin Bartlett, Bill Goggin, Wayne Schimmelbusch, Alex Jesaulenko, Tony Shaw, Peter Schwab, Michael Voss, Matthew Primus etc etc

Credit to Bucks for last year's turnaround - however coaches must and will be assessed on team performance - not only loyalty and love

EFA

Excellent Post. Best and most balanced I have read on this entire site.

Past players having "bled and given their all" for the club is an honourable notion but in no way should impact on how they are judged in other roles within the club. Unfortuneately and clearly it is. But it shouldn't. Why should we be any different to the likes of Richmond, Geelong, North, Carlton, Hawthorn, Lions and Port.

l agree credit to Buckley and his team for the amazing turnaround last year and let's hope it is sustainable, which I think it is. But if we are fair dinkum for a moment, without Ed's emotive and somewhat biased stance, would he have got this far? Might prove to be a blessing re Ed's bias, but that's not the point in this discussion.

Sometimes I feel not everyone on here really barracks for Collingwood.

Just a passing thought....

Might be the heat...

Relax Saintly

Whilst it might be hard to fathom, blokes like me are Pies supporters notwithstanding our/my minority views in the cold and the heat.

Relax Saintly

Whilst it might be hard to fathom, blokes like me are Pies supporters notwithstanding our/my minority views in the cold and the heat.
I’m very relaxed.

:)

A Collingwood premiership player who played his best football for Collingwood. Had a very short but incredible prime of two years (10/11) with injuries robbing him of who he once was. And he was one of the best in the competition level special.

Collingwood's compensation of pick 11 for him was well overs.

Had his best and only passable season on performance with Carlton last year, prolonging his career.

If I saw him in the street I'd shake his hand, congratulate him on the 2010 flag and continue walking.

Same here Knightmare. I'd gladly extend my hand to Thomas. After all he is a rare breed - Pies past premiership player.

Relax Saintly

Have no issue with your views in general but take extreme exception to disparaging comments regarding Ed.

He is the man who stepped into the breach when we were a basket case financially and has been almost solely responsible for hauling us out from the poor house and putting the club back on a sound financial footing - without which NOTHING else is possible.

The man lives, breathes and bleeds Collingwood.

As for Buckley his biggest personal achievement this past season is to have learnt to accept advice and change his mode of operation. True he has had the guts to admit his shortcomings in those areas and address them but it is still those that instigated this from and advisory position and the new coaching panel and their increased input that must take the lions share of the credit.

Have no issue with your views in general but take extreme exception to disparaging comments regarding Ed.

He is the man who stepped into the breach when we were a basket case financially and has been almost solely responsible for hauling us out from the poor house and putting the club back on a sound financial footing - without which NOTHING else is possible.

The man lives, breathes and bleeds Collingwood.

As for Buckley his biggest personal achievement this past season is to have learnt to accept advice and change his mode of operation. True he has had the guts to admit his shortcomings in those areas and address them but it is still those that instigated this from and advisory position and the new coaching panel and their increased input that must take the lions share of the credit.

We are not so far apart here.

Ed's first 12 years at the club was first class and I fully concur with your comments above. He was directly/indirectly responsible for consistent on field success resulting in the 2010 flag. However, he is now heading into his 21st year and to be fair the back end of his presidency has been littered with poor on-field, controversies and ongoing rifts with the AFL and other clubs.

I 100% agree with you that he lives, breathes and bleeds Collingwood. A strong characteristic early days but therein may now be a problem. Can you see that?

As for Buckley, I think I have been largely positive of late and like you, I admire the change in his persona.

I feel sorry for him now, which is a pity; he has lost the respect that is now afforded to a Toovey and a Maxwell even if he was infinitely more talented and arguably a bigger contributor in 2010.

It takes years to build goodwill and not a whole lot to lose it all.
Honestly mate, once he’s retired none of that will matter, it’ll be like he never left.

We are not so far apart here.

Ed's first 12 years at the club was first class and I fully concur with your comments above. He was directly/indirectly responsible for consistent on field success resulting in the 2010 flag. However, he is now heading into his 21st year and to be fair the back end of his presidency has been littered with poor on-field, controversies and ongoing rifts with the AFL and other clubs.

I 100% agree with you that he lives, breathes and bleeds Collingwood. A strong characteristic early days but therein may now be a problem. Can you see that?

As for Buckley, I think I have been largely positive of late and like you, I admire the change in his persona.
I believe the perceived problem with Ed is his high profile in both the media and the president's ranks is that he is unashamedly biased for Collingwood in the first place and secondly that he has a problem with the AFL for their handling of the league expansion interstate.

Let's face it the league have made a royal mess of this expansion with Sydney still needing financial support and Brisbane going from world beaters to a basket case once they were taken off the drip.

I am well known for my (far too often) repeated call for those expansion clubs to be helped to stand on their own two feet financially and - even more importantly - managerially.

Collingwood is and always has been a cash cow for the league because of our strong supporter base and consistent ( apart from the last few years ) on field performances. Ed is - quite bloody rightly - sick to death of our club being the bank for the league.
He IS to loud and insistent with his rhetoric on these matters but he has reason to be.

It all depends if you are embarrassed by his volatile nature and extreme bias.

I for one am grateful that our president will never 'roll over' for the league as predecessors have - much to our chagrin.

Honestly mate, once he’s retired none of that will matter, it’ll be like he never left.

I'm sure you're right, once he has retired he will likely be viewed differently by most.

Even now, it's easy to respect him as a Collingwood flag player, it's much harder to have much affection for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back