6-6-6 - winners and losers

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
After a handful of games of JLT the observable evidence of the effect of the new 6-6-6 rule is limited.

However the early indicators show players having more time and space and a reduction in congestion.

Tactics and strategies will evolve but if a less congested centre is the outcome would any teams be particularly advantaged/disadvantaged?

Would this change also see the demise of the tagger?
Or will the changes have no real noticeable impact?

Last edited:

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
After a handful of games of JLT the observable evidence of the effect if the new 6-6-6 rule is limited.

However the early indicators show players having more time and space and a reduction in congestion.

Tactics and strategies will evolve but if a less congested centre is the outcome would any teams be particularly advantaged/disadvantaged?

Would this change also see the demise of the tagger?
Or will the changes have no real noticeable impact?

Early signs suggest it’s less congested through the middle of the ground due to fwd lines remaining set up for longer after the initial centre bounce. It’s causing congestion inside 50 which is t ideal for fwds.
After a few rounds in fwds will work up the ground quicker after the re starts and the game will be similar to what it has been which to me is better than what we’ve seen so far in the JLT.

Apr 10, 2004
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
49ers, Liverpool
Taggers should be just as if not more important. Going to want to stop the best mids have time clearing to one on ones.

Different sized grounds will be a factor. SCG with the 50m arc basically on the square will still allow players to come in straight away.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I think it will make it more difficult for us to play Williams and Whitfield in defence. Leon has said he wants to try it but it will be harder to play seven defenders as we have done the majority of the time. Even if a way around is found it will be more complicated and require the 7th defender to work harder.The main issue is it will require the 6 defenders to be able to lock down a foward.

I think in that regard it will benefit players like Laird, Wilson and although he's slowing a bit Heater. They can can lock down their man and then look to rebound by foot.

The clearances will be more important and I think that suits us, but on paper the Pies and the Demons more. First hands on the ball are going to matter more. It will also result in players like Martin, Fyfe, Dangerfield and Coniglio spending kess time out if the midfield. There's not a lot of point having your best contested mid catching a cold while the action is all at the other end.

I certainly respect Brad Scotts opinion about teams getting smashed with no way to negate a team getting a "run on". We have to wait until the rubber hits the road though I think. Teams dont try desperately to negate in the JLT, but they will in the season proper. The JLT games have had very dominant periods for sides but no smashings as yet.

D-N-R

Club Legend
Apr 4, 2005
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WCE
Higher scoring is the key to it, and scoring (or at least attacking) quickly from the bounce. If that goes up, you could say it has worked.

Less congestion, IMO, has more to do with better ball handling. Teams that can move the ball quickly will have more open games. Teams that fumble that little bit extra or can't link those handballs together will play congested games.

This rule will open up the game momentarily at the bounce and then it will revert to type.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
martin. one-on-one and less ability to double team? look out
Riewoldt and Lynch are also players who will benefit from this, but overall I actually think the new rules will negatively effect Richmond.
Ruck area is not our strength, and the quick ball movement to 6-6 will limit our defences ability to play off their men which is a real strength.
Add to that the quick kick in rules will limit our ability to lock the ball inside 50 and overall I think the rule changes don't favour our style.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Riewoldt and Lynch are also players who will benefit from this, but overall I actually think the new rules will negatively effect Richmond.
Ruck area is not our strength, and the quick ball movement to 6-6 will limit our defences ability to play off their men which is a real strength.
Add to that the quick kick in rules will limit our ability to lock the ball inside 50 and overall I think the rule changes don't favour our style.
Seems to be a common view. Will be interesting to see how Hardwicke deals with it. We might a clue about his intentions today, against a very string mid group.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Generally speaking forward lines that have super quick smalls and key forwards with real strengths (eg contested marking, speed, endurance etc) will gain from not having an extra defender to curtail their efforts. Speed will be more important than ever because it will be much harder to stop teams from scoring if you can get separation without a loose man dropping into the hole.

Centre clearances are rising in importance, players with strength and or evasiveness in close will be highly valued. We might actually see taggers become more popular again.

In defense its all going to be about well rounded players who can defend one on one, rebound and zone off. Its going to be a lot harder to play good defense than it was in previous years, especially if your midfield is poor.

Overall teams that win the inside 50 count - are probably going to win a higher % of games than previously (it was a good indcator before too but I think it will be a better one now).

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Seems to be a common view. Will be interesting to see how Hardwicke deals with it. We might a clue about his intentions today, against a very string mid group.
They might try some things, but I have a feeling clubs will keep some cards close to their chest. They won't reveal their full hand in the JLT. We might see some experimental structures though.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Generally speaking forward lines that have super quick smalls and key forwards with real strengths (eg contested marking, speed, endurance etc) will gain from not having an extra defender to curtail their efforts. Speed will be more important than ever because it will be much harder to stop teams from scoring if you can get separation without a loose man dropping into the hole.

Centre clearances are rising in importance, players with strength and or evasiveness in close will be highly valued. We might actually see taggers become more popular again.

In defense its all going to be about well rounded players who can defend one on one, rebound and zone off. Its going to be a lot harder to play good defense than it was in previous years, especially if your midfield is poor.

Overall teams that win the inside 50 count - are probably going to win a higher % of games than previously (it was a good indcator before too but I think it will be a better one now).

I can’t see coaches settling for a 6v6 in defence. Wingers will role back after the bounce, half fwds will role up to cover the winger. It’ll free up oppo wingers and create 7 defenders for the oppo etc. The tactical thinking of current day coaches will negate the rules as to suit their needs otherwise and the better ones will do it sooner so
I see teams with better coaches having better 2019 seasons due to this.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
They might try some things, but I have a feeling clubs will keep some cards close to their chest. They won't reveal their full hand in the JLT. We might see some experimental structures though.
Maybe

You have to try them in-game at some point was
That too.

The return of the 100 goal forward?

Hopefully.

One-on-One players who can force an isolation should benefit from clearance dominance as defenses will be unable to double-team without leaving someone free.

I agree. Good for guys like Gawn and Grundy.

Richmond are going to have get even better at sharking the opposition ruck's hit outs.

On the plus side, as you say, Reiwoldt snd Lynch on out will be good for us.

Sausages

HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
I can’t see coaches settling for a 6v6 in defence. Wingers will role back after the bounce, half fwds will role up to cover the winger. It’ll free up oppo wingers and create 7 defenders for the oppo etc. The tactical thinking of current day coaches will negate the rules as to suit their needs otherwise and the better ones will do it sooner so
I see teams with better coaches having better 2019 seasons due to this.

What I think will be successful is teams which look to maintain as many 1 v 1's/break evens at the contest as they can for as long as they can, getting the ball moving forward quickly with fewer possessions per goal, utilising as many 1 v 1 contests as possible and taking advantage of the theory that the fastest way to move the ball forward is through long kicking, rather than running it in handball chains. I think any team which seriously tries to push numbers back as a general tactic will suffer badly for it.

Back