News Congratulations to Hawthorn's newest captain - Ben Stratton - may your reign be long and glorious

Remove this Banner Ad

Love his courage, and I think that’s what we need in a Captain.
My favorite highlight is the two game saving marks he took in the prelim against Geelong in the last quarter.

Hopefully better than Rough. Won't be better than Hodge or Mitch.

The feel good factor is there, but he is not an elite AFL captain.

Sorry to disappoint the hopefuls, but continues to highlight the gaps in our list...

I appreciate input like this because it makes me realise I’m not the most miserable poster on here.

41C21DF7-7DC7-48C2-89F5-76769060C7C6.jpeg

No wonder they were the popular choice - absolutely love this picture. Life’s too short to sweat the small stuff.

Seasons already off to a great start

Never has Stratton got the plaudits outside of Hawthorn that he deserves but this is a fantastic decision. Tough, skilful, courageous and plays footy the right way.
Very happy with this choice as captain

Agree. Hopefully will get the in-club plaudits Richie vdb got for his stint.

I didn’t pick it but am excited about what it says about our bench strength.

Can’t wait for the year to start.

GO HAWKS.

CS

Always felt like the best part of Ben's game is when he's in great marking touch and really feels it....starts looking very very coordinated and timing is exceptional when the hands get sticky.
Reckon being appointed Captain will encourage him to back himself to take more grabs and turn the tide by demoralizing opposition entry...
Could be an inspired choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry to disappoint the hopefuls, but continues to highlight the gaps in our list...
I doubt any 'hopefuls' reading your post will be disappointed, or even affected, in any way.

Strange appointment for mine. Will struggle on media street. Leader by actions no doubt.

He probably won't be as eloquent as Sam Mitchell, Luke Hodge or Jarrod Roughead but he's very likeable as a person and he's a ripper footballer, if someone's judging him on more than that then stuff 'em.

Agree with this. Good luck to the happy go lucky hippie as he is as tough as they come.

Couldn’t care less about his media chops. Shannon Hurn sounded like an utter deadshit during the grand final speeches last year - he’s still obviously a good enough captain to lead a side to a flag.

Really? You only have to go back to Hodge's 2015 grand final speech to know how comfortable he was in front of the camera.

Hodge held his own in interviews and was very good in the footy media - but calling him eloquent is a stretch. As he himself said at the press conference after the 2015 grand final when asked if there was an adjective that summed up what had just happened he replied ‘mate, I’m from Colac’.

Pleased with this choice - I love that Stratts is his own person; he doesn't appear to sweat the small stuff - plenty of quirky oddball tattoos (instead of the planned, designed and beautiful pieces of art many players adopt) and a mullet both speak volumes about his relaxed nature.

Strong leadership group.

He maintains the string of Hawthorn captains that have been homegrown. Also means Ritchie Vandenberg remains the only hawthorn captain since 1961 without a premiership medallion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back