Analysis 2019 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't believe some are falling for the same old notion that the pre-season comp has any bearing on the game plan at all. FWIW I'm unfortunately pretty confident that Horse isn't going to change how we play much, but I'm also not remotely concerned we didn't see any real changes in a JLT match. I'm not taking tonight's performance as any evidence of my gut feeling being correct. If a team isn't taking it that seriously then your game plan is never going to work regardless of who is behind it.

Can't believe some are falling for the same old notion that the pre-season comp has any bearing on the game plan at all. FWIW I'm unfortunately pretty confident that Horse isn't going to change how we play much, but I'm also not remotely concerned we didn't see any real changes in a JLT match. I'm not taking tonight's performance as any evidence of my gut feeling being correct. If a team isn't taking it that seriously then your game plan is never going to work regardless of who is behind it.

Do you think they're just going to turn up R1 without having tried a few things during the warm up games?
That would be horrible coaching.

Midfield will get flogged this year imo , Kennedy will be the death of it

The worrying thing about Kennedy is the last few seasons he has been on a continuous decline in terms of stats and performance. I was hoping that in 2018 he was playing injured but after watching him yesterday I am not so sure. I mean last year his stats were as low as they have been since 2011.

On a more important note though I just can't understand how Longmire can look at our performance against GWS in the finals in 2018 and think that our game plan is headed in the right direction. 90% of people on this board watched that game and realised there were serious problems with the game plan and yet Longmire has only made minor tweaks to the gameplan in 2019. Minor tweaks are not enough, not in the situation we are currently in.

The worrying thing about Kennedy is the last few seasons he has been on a continuous decline in terms of stats and performance. I was hoping that in 2018 he was playing injured but after watching him yesterday I am not so sure. I mean last year his stats were as low as they have been since 2011.

On a more important note though I just can't understand how Longmire can look at our performance against GWS in the finals in 2018 and think that our game plan is headed in the right direction. 90% of people on this board watched that game and realised there were serious problems with the game plan and yet Longmire has only made minor tweaks to the gameplan in 2019. Minor tweaks are not enough, not in the situation we are currently in.

What do you expect him to do? our issues cant be fixed in one trade/draft period we tried to get Moore and Langdon the 6-6-6 rule is the the death of slow contested players like Kennedy.

Fact is we played some unwatchable football in 2018 the roving scrum pack was our of strengths with contested bulls like Kennedy and Parker, its going to take time to change and recruit accordingly to the new rules.

What do you expect him to do? our issues cant be fixed in one trade/draft period we tried to get Moore and Langdon the 6-6-6 rule is the the death of slow contested players like Kennedy.

Fact is we played some unwatchable football in 2018 the roving scrum pack was our of strengths with contested bulls like Kennedy and Parker, its going to take time to change and recruit accordingly to the new rules.

Moore and Langdon are not midfielders, so they would not have helped our problems. Also Kennedy was never fast and is getting slower, but Parker isn't super slow, or super old. There is no excuse for him not keeping up with the play.

Lloyd's comments from a few weeks ago

-------
Wheatley - "Has there been much change in the way John Longmire has approached the strategic setup?"

Lloyd - "Yeah there have definitely been small changes here and there but you know what has held us in good stead over the last however many years has been our defensive side of our game and the way we attack at the footy, you know we have made a few little changes now with new coaching staff coming in with new opinions from the way we are perceived from other clubs but when it comes down to the crunch time with our game plan then we stick to what worked over the years. We have certainly made a few little changes but our core values as a group are basically the same"

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2019-02-14/young-swans-earn-lloyds-praise
-------

Seems Lloyd was telling the truth.

So ahh, we didn't get any coaches this off-season yeah? So Lloyds saying they've made slight adjustments --12 months after they've turned up??

Be more interested if Heeney is a better HF than midfielder and Mills is a better HB than mid and what that does going forward.

Early days for Mills though but is he a natural Mid like say a Walsh , that’s how I look at things

Heeney had the most clearances yesterday and the most disposals as well. I think he can be a very good midfielder.

The problem is if we don't have Mills and Heeney in the midfield then who is going to be winning our clearances. I mean I don't think Kennedy is up to it anymore, and Parker has never been a dominant in and under clearance midfielder. Perhaps Clarke?
They might be better placed at HF and HB

It’s very early , Johnson also mentioned this last night

It’s very early though for Mills , Heeney has more impact consistency forward of the ball imo

Do you think they're just going to turn up R1 without having tried a few things during the warm up games?
That would be horrible coaching.

Exactly, we’re just trying a few things. So how did people expect a game plan to come together on it’s first trial in a game the players weren’t totally invested in?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be more interested if Heeney is a better HF than midfielder and Mills is a better HB than mid and what that does going forward.

Early days for Mills though but is he a natural Mid like say a Walsh , that’s how I look at things

This is spot on Heeney looks like a natural forward rather than a mid problem is we are so thin in the middle we gotta throw him in there.

This is spot on Heeney looks like a natural forward rather than a mid problem is we are so thin in the middle we gotta throw him in there.

There was one moment last night where he won a real clean clearance out of the middle. Sprayed the kick as his legs looked gassed but gee whiz it was a rare sight to see a Swan charging out of the centre with authority like that. I think types like Heeney, Mills, Florent etc will just need game time together. Simple as that. Let them build their chemistry and become our next JPK-Hanners-Parker in the middle. It will take time but they are young and we are essentially rebuilding a midfield.

Rome wasn’t built in a day (and I have that on good authority.)

Heck no just discussing what Heeney best position may be.

Of course he’s still going to look better as a forward because he still is adapting to his role as a midfielder. I see him as a permanent mid who can rest forward, that way we can get the most out of him.

No. I think they are both our best options, but they need to stay there, not be moved around a dozen times during every game.

Exactly this. It’s just going to take time. A JLT match where both looked reluctant to have a real crack just shouldn’t be used as conclusive evidence on their form or the role they should be playing.

Amazing watching the Hawks/Lions game and seeing how many times teams have at most 1 or 2 forwards inside the fwd 50.....I thought Horse was the only coach who did something like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back