Unpopular opinions

True but he needs to become a regular in the seniors though, wouldn’t you think?
Depends where he is on his development trajectory.

Realistically at any club there are about 15-18 automatic selections every week, if fit. Then there are about 12-15 fringe players/depth and the rest of the list are first or second year players still developing and hoping to make the grade, usually including some talls who typically take a couple of years before they can press for regular selection. You could argue that most lists will have one or two older "insurance" players too, like Tom Campbell last year and Fletcher Roberts for the last 2-3 years.

Most of the post-season action (de-listings, trades etc) is going to happen with these 12-15 fringe players although even some of those are still developing and maybe that's where Lynch is right now. So that group are all jockeying to stay on the list and get that extra few percent improvement to stay ahead of the others.

He'd want to get at least half a dozen games as the season progresses and stay injury free. If he only gets 0-4 games this year then I think he's 90% certain to be delisted. However no need to panic if he's not playing senior footy before the end of April as long as he's playing decent footy and improving his game a bit further in the twos.

gangsta deluxe

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Rajasthan Royals!!!
Lynch was a write off until he unexpectedly broke through. Not performing to the level we expected at VFL level. Then (as is the case with some blokes) when he got a chance at AFL football, he relished it.

He’s got more credits than ever now. He could have a poor year yet still be ok imo.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He needs to start playing very well in the VFL to get games if we aren’t injury effected.
There’s definitely a spot if he grows on last years form but games won’t be handed to him this season as his debut was last year.

Edit: Lynch is a confidence player. You could see that was what held him back in most games he played in 2019. Confidence in his pace, skill and decision making will take his game to another level as he has the attributes to be a very very good player.

Last edited:

DogDays

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2012
Ex-Melbourne, now Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bont should be captain and played mainly as a midfielder

Wood will be lucky to get a game

Jong, when fit, is underrated

Hunter doesn’t hurt opponents enough to be considered elite, neither does Macrae

Rourke Smith gives us nothing

Daniels disposal under pressure is underrated

Liberatore is still a gun midfielder when uninjured

JJ is overrated and not as damaging as the journos/commentators make out

I still think we can win another premiership this year or next if injuries are minimal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hunter doesn’t hurt opponents enough to be considered elite, neither does Macrae
Couldn’t disagree more with regards to Macrae. I’m actually annoyed that a fellow Dogs fan would level an accusation like that at one of our outright superstars. He finds the ball and then finds a team-mate. That’s his job and he does it better than 99.9% of players in the comp. He’s simply class.

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not a current unpopular opinion but a historical one. I believe Terry Wallace was good for the dogs he was only a bad goal umpires decision from a GF and possible coaching glory in 97 after finishing second last in 1996 when he took over. He gave us good service as a player. I know he did not leave in the best way but I do not see him as traitor as a lot of dogs supporters do.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Couldn’t disagree more with regards to Macrae. I’m actually annoyed that a fellow Dogs fan would level an accusation like that at one of our outright superstars. He finds the ball and then finds a team-mate. That’s his job and he does it better than 99.9% of players in the comp. He’s simply class.
Jackson Macrae 21 (Winner by knock out) Versus Marcus Bontempelli 9.
Measured against 31 statistical measures, equal 1st Score Involvements.

Factoid: Both Jackson Macrae and Lachie Hunter had more 30 possession plus games than the
Richmond football club, the minor premier.

Not a current unpopular opinion but a historical one. I believe Terry Wallace was good for the dogs he was only a bad goal umpires decision from a GF and possible coaching glory in 97 after finishing second last in 1996 when he took over. He gave us good service as a player. I know he did not leave in the best way but I do not see him as traitor as a lot of dogs supporters do.

You talking about unpopular opinions, then that kick was absolutely a goal, every day of the week.

(I was right behind it, it was a ******* point, and it made me angry typing that it was a goal)

Jackson Macrae 21 (Winner by knock out) Versus Marcus Bontempelli 9.
Measured against 31 statistical measures, equal 1st Score Involvements.

Factoid: Both Jackson Macrae and Lachie Hunter had more 30 possession plus games than the
Richmond football club, the minor premier.

Doesn’t that reinforce the idea that their possessions are not high impact?

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania

I still think we can win another premiership this year or next if injuries are minimal

Just on the JJ point - if it’s just journos or commentators who think he is damaging then why do you think opposition coaches started tagging him? Do you think they over rate him too? Serious question

Every AFLW match should conclude with a pillow fight after the song.
You've got the wrong thread. Try the "Non-PC Opinions" thread. But just a warning - it's not for the faint-hearted. I think there's already something in there about mud wrestling and something to do with jelly.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Doesn’t that reinforce the idea that their possessions are not high impact?
Which is more high impact, scoring the goals or preventing the leaks and helping out a weak defence. Both have different
roles, will Macrae ever win a Brownlow ? Only if it's a crap year, Bontempelli certainly can, but it takes all types to make
a team and there is no i in team there is one in Bontempelli though. We are lucky to have both, let us be clear on that.

Which is more high impact, scoring the goals or preventing the leaks and helping out a weak defence. Both have different
roles, will Macrae ever win a Brownlow ? Only if it's a crap year, Bontempelli certainly can, but it takes all types to make
a team and there is no i in team there is one in Bontempelli though. We are lucky to have both, let us be clear on that.
I have it on good authority that the correct spelling is Bonteampelli

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Nope and nope. We need his class forward of the footy. We have no good forwards.

He will eventually be surpassed by Cordy and Naughton. He isn't as important as he once was. So don't completely disagree.

Absolutely. One of our toughest and most courageous players.

They're both superb. Can see an argument for Hunter, but Macrae is an out and out star. We'd be lost without them.

This isn't unpopular.

His disposal is magnificent all round.

Just a natural footy player this guy.

JJ is our most important player. I don't care what anyone says, and that is probably an unpopular opinion. I may make it it's own post.

Nah, but I love your optimism.

Get a laptop.

Back