Preview JLT- Lions v Hawks, Moreton Bay Central Sports Complex, Sunday March 3rd 12.40pm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Good job boys. Lots of very promising signs today.

Neale an absolute gun. Any coach worth his salt is going to stick a tag on him immediately. McCarthy well worth the pick up too. Rayner showing super promising signs, but is better when he's not second guessing himself.

Squiz probably couldn't wait for the game to finish. Really didn't slot in anywhere today.

Well call me a sycophant but I'm content with that performance. A lot of gelling to be done but we continue to look more and more like a functional football team, even if some of the same old headscratching mistakes undo good play at the end.

A decent, blowing out the cobwebs performance in non-ideal footy conditions.

Much gets made of the class differential on paper but established, experienced players know what they need to get out of practice games and it is usually more about building for the big show rather than pushing themselves to the max. On the other hand you had plenty of young Hawks players desperate for senpai Clarkson to notice them.

Gotta be inviting the umpires back around through the week to make friends so Hipwood can get the frees he deserves. He was in good positions a lot and was just scragged.

Hipwood gets pushed out of position way too easily and still looks like a rake.
So much talent but often is in the wrong position or runs to it, most importantly still looks timid and avoids contested positions to mark.
Needs to improve in those areas even though he is very good on the deck.
What does he lift in the gym in pre season pencils?
Needs to improve all of the abive.

Hipwood gets pushed out of position way too easily and still looks like a rake.
So much talent but often is in the wrong position or runs to it, most importantly still looks timid and avoids contested positions to mark.
Needs to improve in those areas even though he is very good on the deck.
What does he lift in the gym in pre season pencils?
Needs to improve all of the abive.

Not sure how you could possibly call Hipwood timid with the way he throws himself at the marking contests.

You can't fault Mitch Robinson's attack on the ball but he hasn't been clean in picking the ball up (ala Todd Banfield) and he has bombed away blindly on many occasions (a constant knock on him).

Mitch is Mitch - has played his strengths superbly to make a great career but was never a chance at being a silky skilled player.

Not sure how you could possibly call Hipwood timid with the way he throws himself at the marking contests.
Watch how many times he is out of position or moves from it?
I'm not even talking about contested positions .
If he was getting stronger he would be harder to shift.
At least Mcstay contests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm with Jackess, Hipwood physically contests at a level that belies his body size. We just need the latter to catch up.

A lot of players were shifting under the high ball today, the breeze was playing havoc with the flight of the ball.

I’m not arguing that he wouldn’t benefit from some added bulk but he’s definitely not timid. Can’t recall him every shirking a contest. Must get absolutely hammered each game.

We still had a slow start. I was hoping we would come out and put a few nice runs up straight away. Hawks also very focused at the start so that hinders but still.

We can’t afford to give teams head starts - it’s our biggest weakness. Really want to see us burst out of the barriers in the next jlt game to get some confidence in that area.

Came on when the heat was well and truly gone out of the game

His defensive pressure was brilliant regardless of the heat was on or off. I've never seen Basti work so hard defensively in his career.

I'm with Jackess, Hipwood physically contests at a level that belies his body size. We just need the latter to catch up.

A lot of players were shifting under the high ball today, the breeze was playing havoc with the flight of the ball.

I saw a lot of Hippy when they were kicking to my end and his read of the ball was quite off a few times early in.

He had Mohr on him too right? Great 1v1 defender (albeit can't do anything else but negate)

Forward set up needs immediate attention. If you're going to play three talls don't have them all standing next to each other jumping for the same ball. McStay needs to lead to the ball more. Hipwood needs to stop running under the ball and is to easy to knock off balance. Oscar gets hands on the ball enough but needs to pluck more marks.

Really liked Bailey's game. Offers so much run and drive which we lack. Mathieson cracked in but still needs to stop kicking blindly. Lewy Taylor was disappointing and still makes so many errors with silly little dinky kicks and poor handballs.

Neale and Mccathy were close to our best. Neale is the perfect replacement for Beams. McCarthy should be a lock for round 1 after that. Loved his defensive pressure. Archie was good but needs to do more around the ground and for that reason Stef still the number one option.

Lyons solid and got plenty of ball without being a stand out. Rayner excellent - going to be a super star just has to work on his tank but I like him around the goals anyway.

McCluggage got better as the game went and Berry was solid considering he has been out with illness. Witherden needs to show more urgency down back so laconic at times.

Still think the likes of Cutler can force themselves into this side. We need more run which he can offer.

Forward set up needs immediate attention. If you're going to play three talls don't have them all standing next to each other jumping for the same ball. McStay needs to lead to the ball more. Hipwood needs to stop running under the ball and is to easy to knock off balance. Oscar gets hands on the ball enough but needs to pluck more marks.

Really liked Bailey's game. Offers so much run and drive which we lack. Mathieson cracked in but still needs to stop kicking blindly. Lewy Taylor was disappointing and still makes so many errors with silly little dinky kicks and poor handballs.

Neale and Mccathy were close to our best. Neale is the perfect replacement for Beams. McCarthy should be a lock for round 1 after that. Loved his defensive pressure. Archie was good but needs to do more around the ground and for that reason Stef still the number one option.

Lyons solid and got plenty of ball without being a stand out. Rayner excellent - going to be a super star just has to work on his tank but I like him around the goals anyway.

McCluggage got better as the game went and Berry was solid considering he has been out with illness. Witherden needs to show more urgency down back so laconic at times.

Still think the likes of Cutler can force themselves into this side. We need more run which he can offer.

Cutler in for Taylor
Cox in for Lester

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be giving Cedric Cox and Tom Cutler a run against the Demons next Saturday, I'd also like to try a 2 talls up front structure.

Ins- Tom Cutler, Cedric Cox, Nick Robertson.

Outs- Ryan Lester, Oscar McInerney, Charlie Cameron(injury or precaution).

The forward line definitely does need immediate attention. Looked really sloppy like a local club match. Otherwise, the boys did well! I'm really keen for this season

Mitch is Mitch - has played his strengths superbly to make a great career but was never a chance at being a silky skilled player.
And to be fair, Mitch actually played a lot better and was much cleaner after my post too.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Mitch as a player, however, prior to that post, despite giving everything (which always goes without saying) I thought he was rushed a lot of the time and fumbly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back