Teams Cronulla Sharks 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
More Salary cap violations and we are facing another $500,000 on top of the $800,000 already handed down over the Shane Flanagan episode. I do not think the club has the money to meet that penalty. We could face salary cap restrictions for five years to pay these penalties. Maybe ScoMo can find some money in the pork barrel ? :huh:

I'm very disappointed in the club for sabotaging themselves constantly. If they somehow decided to remove our premiership, I'd probably pack it in as far as NRL goes.

I'm very disappointed in the club for sabotaging themselves constantly. If they somehow decided to remove our premiership, I'd probably pack it in as far as NRL goes.

Final straw for me too. This club sure provides some highs and lows... mainly lows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So no threat to the Premiership? I think I can live with just about anything else. Would like to keep Seggy though.

I like him but I feel like we have enough cover at hooker, so all in all a pretty good result.

And yeah hands off the cup.

Club statement:

The Sharks accept the Integrity Unit findings as announced by the NRL today and are pleased that we now can move forward with the salary cap matters closed.

Sharks CEO Barry Russell in accepting the penalties, expressed his pride in the systems now in place and in the processes that led to us to self-reporting a potential breach of the NRL rules.

“We now have best governance practices, have learned some hard lessons during this process and I’m confident the systems we have in place will ensure this doesn’t happen again,” Russell said.

“By applying discounts to the fines imposed, a reduction of $300,000 on appeal to our original 2014 fine of $800,000 and $500,000 of the $750,000 suspended on the salary cap breach, we acknowledge the NRL for recognising our self-reporting and our continued cooperative approach with their subsequent investigations.

“We have no plans to appeal, will deal with the consequences of the fines and punishments and take the positive in that we can now move ahead into the new season and into the future with these matters behind us,” Russell added.

In relation to the 2019-2020 Salary Cap sanction, management and coaching staff, with guidance from our salary cap and recruitment managers, will come together to ensure we are fully compliant as stipulated by the NRL before our round one game on March 15.

https://www.sharks.com.au/news/2019/03/01/club-statement/

I guess what is done is done but you would like to think we have learned something.

At least Barry Russell self reported, if that had not happened we would have been cactus.

So the question is which player will be moved on? We re signed Segeyaro this week so do we have a player out of contract and what if a player does not want to move? I am not sure how this works.

I guess what is done is done but you would like to think we have learned something.

At least Barry Russell self reported, if that had not happened we would have been cactus.

So the question is which player will be moved on? We re signed Segeyaro this week so do we have a player out of contract and what if a player does not want to move? I am not sure how this works.

We have to release someone that another club wants I think. $300k per year we have to lose. Segeyaro is on a small contract so may not be enough. We also have to sign someone to replace any player we cut. Seeing mentions of Townsend was a concern.

As a Carlton and Cronulla fan, I'm sick of this s**t. Get a decent culture into the place FFS.

I think Russell said they will be sitting down this week to figure it out. Perhaps they didn't have a preconceived plan, but the last minute signing of Segeyaro suggested otherwise. If we are under the cap though, does that help, or do we have to actually reduce what we are spending by the penalty amount?

We have to release someone that another club wants I think. $300k per year we have to lose. Segeyaro is on a small contract so may not be enough. We also have to sign someone to replace any player we cut. Seeing mentions of Townsend was a concern.

As a Carlton and Cronulla fan, I'm sick of this s**t. Get a decent culture into the place FFS.

At least we have Shaun Johnson this year, losing Townsend last season would’ve been a disaster. Not sure who would have to step up if that happened, Flanagan maybe?

I think Russell said they will be sitting down this week to figure it out. Perhaps they didn't have a preconceived plan, but the last minute signing of Segeyaro suggested otherwise. If we are under the cap though, does that help, or do we have to actually reduce what we are spending by the penalty amount?

We lose $600k from our cap over 2 years, so we start $300k behind the other teams each year.

The worst of it is, this mess is our own *in fault. Hopefully we have the right people running the club these days and this will not happen again.

I would not say we are behind all the rest because there are a couple of clubs that are still under investigation. Manly have had penalties applied to 2018/19 and I haven't heard what is happening with Parramatta. The Eels were, or still are, under investigation by the NRL for their second breach in two years.

The other consequence is that this penalty pretty well ensures that we will not be re signing Valentine Holmes if he returns from the US within two years. We will not have the money to afford him unless of course we decide to be 'creative' with the salary cap again.

Holmes was never going to come back to Cronulla, he just wanted to get out of his last year then join the Cowboys next season

Holmes still has a year on his contract. I am not sure how that works but a contract is a contract and I would imagine the Cowboys or whoever would have to buy the contract out. Then again the NRL is that piss weak they could allow anything to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back