Opinion Best 22 in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I cant name a side, it's too hard. But Houli and Broad especially are no brainers for me. I'd like to see Markov given an extended run and that may be at Mcintosh's expense for the time being. Butler was underwhelming today and Balta just picked himself for round 1 if he follows that form. Also Ivan Soldo I thought was pretty good in the ruck and tries around the ground, he's improved but if it's between him and Balta.....

I hope in JLT2 they rest Nank and try a Soldo/Balta combo.
Same here with both Houli and Broad...:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

I dont rate Soldo at this point in time. Offers very little outside the ruck contests and even in them he looks a bit lost sometimes.

If we play him we are basically playing with 21 + a big lumbering dude who can get his hands to the ball but not do a heap with it.

Thinking we should play Balta on the wing all game and rotate Soldo and Nank in the ruck for jlt 2. Soldo was out jumping his taller opponent at centre bounces. Balta struggled to get a hand on the ball. Nank and Balta can rotate up forward. Lynch doesn’t need to be rushed in

I dont rate Soldo at this point in time. Offers very little outside the ruck contests and even in them he looks a bit lost sometimes.

If we play him we are basically playing with 21 + a big lumbering dude who can get his hands to the ball but not do a heap with it.

At centre bounces though Soldo is a fair bit better

At centre bounces though Soldo is a fair bit better
Yes he can win some hitouts, but that's really all and I'm not sure you can carry someone who only offers that.

If the choice is between
Nank + Soldo + Balta
Or
Nank + Balta + runner like Markov or Macintosh

I'm taking option 2 every time.

No way should Soldo play over Balta.

We need to fit Gath, Balta, Markov, Lynch & Butler into a team that got into a prelim....
There is going to be some very unlucky players

Astbury. Rance. Vlastuin.
Houli. Grimes. Broad.
Edwards. Cotchin. Lambert.
Higgins. Riewoldt. Rioli.
Balta. Lynch. Butler.
Nankervis. Martin. Prestia.

Caddy.
Graham.
Short.
Castagna.

Would love to fit in Garthwaite but Balta Broad is pretty solid and premiership player, ditto Houli is looking pretty fit.

Last edited:
FB: Grimes Astbury Vlastuin
HB: Houli Rance Short
C: Lambert Cotchin S.Edwards
HF: Caddy Lynch Rioli
FF: Butler Riewoldt Higgins
Foll: Nankervis Martin Prestia
Int: Ellis, Balta, Graham, Markov/Broad

Notes:
- Balta to alternate with Nank.
- Higgins to rotate with Cotchin/Martin/Edwards and Caddy.
- Markov to be given a go in the backline when defenders need a rest. His speed is his key strength but he needs to be more consistent as a player.

I posted this in the JLT review thread. On the assumption Lynch and Caddy are available:

B: Vlastuin Rance Grimes
HB: Short Astbury Houli
C: Prestia Edwards Lambert
HF: Higgins Lynch Rioli
F: Butler Riewoldt Caddy
Fol: Nankervis Martin Cotchin
I/C Broad, Weller, Graham, Balta

emg: Markov, Ross, Baker

is weller allowed to play?

is weller allowed to play?

Good question, I am unsure to be honest. I thought the AFL was transitioning to do away with the inability for rookies to play, but that may not have come into effect.

Used to be able to nominate a rookie or two to play if there was no nomination of veteran players.

But as I said, not sure where the rookie list rules are at the present moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think graham will struggle to play this year. Doesn’t get the ball enough and his defensive stuff is overated!

Ross with 21 possessions on the weekend looked way more impressive

Round 1

Grimes astbury short
Vlastuin rance broad
Houli Martin b Ellis
Rioli lynch Higgins
Balta Riewoldt butler
Nank cotch Prestia
Ross Edwards Lambert Weller/mcintosh

Emer mcintosh/Weller soldo Markov

Depth team not playing/injured

Markov Garth egg
Naish Miller turner
Mcintosh grigg menadue
Castagna ccj Bolton
Townsend Moore caddy
Soldo graham rcd
Chol English baker aarts

B: Vlastuin, Astbury, Grimes
HB: Houli, Rance, Short
C: Edwards, Cotchin, Lambert
HF: Higgins, Reiwoldt, Rioli
F: Balta, Lynch, Butler
R: Nankervis, Martin, Prestia
I: Broad, Ellis, Markov, Graham

EMG: McIntosh, Ross, Weller, Baker

Missing: Caddy, Grigg, Castagna

This is what I'm expecting at this point. Back 6 + Broad are pretty locked in I think, and Markov I think has earned first crack at McIntosh's Wing/Def role, especially with Mac seemingly being managed for some kind of niggle. Rest of the starting 18 is pretty self-explanatory, I think Balta starts in the Caddy role as well as acting as the second ruck. Wouldn't surprise if he goes well there that Caddy comes back playing mostly mid. I'd expect Grigg to be back in the 22 pretty quickly when fit too as much as some might dislike that, going to be hard to pick a side if everyone is fit. If Lynch doesn't get up I'd prefer bring one of those guys on the Emg list in over playing Soldo, although he is certainly getting better.

Full strength:

B: Vlastuin, Astbury, Grimes
HB: Houli, Rance, Short
C: Edwards, Cotchin, Lambert
HF: Higgins, Reiwoldt, Rioli
F: Balta, Lynch, Butler
R: Nankervis, Martin, Prestia
I: Broad, Caddy, Grigg, Ellis

B: Miller, Chol, Naish
HB: Markov, Garthwaite, Menaude
C: McIntosh, Graham, Weller
HF: Castagna, CCJ, Baker
F: Townsend, Moore, Bolton
R: Soldo, Ross, Collier-Dawkins
I: Turner, English, Egg, Aarts

Yes he can win some hitouts, but that's really all and I'm not sure you can carry someone who only offers that.

If the choice is between
Nank + Soldo + Balta
Or
Nank + Balta + runner like Markov or Macintosh

I'm taking option 2 every time.

No way should Soldo play over Balta.

Soldo isn’t that bad around the ground. He definitely doesn’t panic like Hampson when he has the ball. Has gained a lot of confidence. Can take a good mark. If Lynch isn’t ready round 1 I’d play Balta wing, Nank forward and Soldo ruck. We’ll be a better team if we’re getting more clearances

Around the ground stoppages you can set up how you want, extras behind ball etc to guard against being beaten in the ruck. But centre bounces this is not the case and these could be so crucial that Nankervis comes under pressure from Soldo. With Lynch arriving and Balta emerging, I don't see any way Soldo and Nankervis can be in the same team together barring injuries to relevant players.

Assuming Caddy, George and Grigg arent available, and Lynch is

My team after jlt 1:

B: Grimes, Astbury, Vlastuin
HB: Short, Rance, Houli
C: McIntosh, Prestia, Lambert
HF: Edwards, Riewoldt, Rioli
F: Butler, Lynch, Balta
R: Nankervis, Martin, Cotchin
Int: Higgins, Ross, Baker, Broad

Emer: Graham, B Ellis, Soldo, Markov

Last spot is either Broad or Markov, i put broad in because short and houli should provide good run

Remove this Banner Ad

Back