Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
They are a special breed.

Like the Essendon idiot who stated after the 2012 GF "Hawthorn have the worst list in the AFL"

The Hawks promptly went Back2Back2Back.

The same idiot repeated before both games against Essendon that "Hawthorn seriously have the worst list in the comp"

The Hawks promptly beat them both times, even though Essendon has a star studded list.

A very special breed indeed

Anything relevant to add?

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Im confident Jordan Ridley will be a feature in many top 20s here within the next 2 years. Once Hurley/Hooker retire i can see him being given the "general" role for Essendon down back. He had a fantastic finals series in the VFL and looks to be building to a starting spot in the senior side for round 1.

Think a few people will look silly counting SPS out aswell.
i was surprised he didn't go a little earlier. Thought he and witherden were locks for the first round.

The top 6 from this draft will be viewed as one of the better top 6's in draft history.
not a single ? amongst that group.
Shame we didn't get Setterfield along with Shiel last year. Was super keen on somehow landing 2 of McGrath, Sett and Taranto from that draft.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I like the posts where the teams fans highlight someone under the radar , the bickering over this guy is better than that guy .... not so much

On a totally unrelated matter is it just me or would others agree that this is one of the deepest drafts there has ever been ?

It seems like most clubs who had a few picks did really well out of it

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
GCS could have done a smidge better with their hand. I'd say Freo reached on Logue too.
But all in all, this is a good draft. 2001 and 2013 will have special places in folklore. i reckon 2015 and 2016 may also prove to be good crops just behind those two.

The trade period for 2016 was impressive too.
Hawks added Mitchell and Jaeger.
Tigers got Nank, Prestia and Caddy and won a GF the following year with them as crucial parts.

In a couple of years time, Essendon should look back on this one fondly.
Stewart for a late pick added a young KPF who i think should be our FF
McGrath is a jet and is only getting better
Ridley has staked a claim for Rd1 to replace Goddard.
Draper looks the heir apparent to Bellchambers.
Its all down to Begley taking that next step and being the big, mobile midfielder we need to replace Myers.
Mutch would be a bonus.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
GCS could have done a smidge better with their hand. I'd say Freo reached on Logue too.
But all in all, this is a good draft. 2001 and 2013 will have special places in folklore. i reckon 2015 and 2016 may also prove to be good crops just behind those two.

The trade period for 2016 was impressive too.
Hawks added Mitchell and Jaeger.
Tigers got Nank, Prestia and Caddy and won a GF the following year with them as crucial parts.

In a couple of years time, Essendon should look back on this one fondly.
Stewart for a late pick added a young KPF who i think should be our FF
McGrath is a jet and is only getting better
Ridley has staked a claim for Rd1 to replace Goddard.
Draper looks the heir apparent to Bellchambers.
Its all down to Begley taking that next step and being the big, mobile midfielder we need to replace Myers.
Mutch would be a bonus.

The ' fap ' levels over Louge have been almost embarrassing over the pre-season on the Freo board and it's fair to say we can be a bit excitable over our players sometimes but he did miss all of last year so it's harsh to put the ' reach ' label on him just yet as he's effectively a full year behind the rest of the draftees and he wasn't coming off the traditional 10 yrs of junior footy anyway

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
The ' fap ' levels over Louge have been almost embarrassing over the pre-season on the Freo board and it's fair to say we can be a bit excitable over our players sometimes but he did miss all of last year so it's harsh to put the ' reach ' label on him just yet as he's effectively a full year behind the rest of the draftees and he wasn't coming off the traditional 10 yrs of junior footy anyway

He was a risky one from the outset though. He's an athletic freak. But his footballing qualities didn't sing out top 10 pick (for me at least).
Scrimshaw was the other one i scratched my head over. Good athletic kid with some ok defensive qualities. But i felt the Birchall comparisons and the year Birch had over-hyped him.

Still early for both, but i didn't feel either were top 10 players. Not for that draft anyway.
Thought Freo were nuts parting with Pick 3. Even more grabbing Logue @ 7.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
He was a risky one from the outset though. He's an athletic freak. But his footballing qualities didn't sing out top 10 pick (for me at least).
Scrimshaw was the other one i scratched my head over. Good athletic kid with some ok defensive qualities. But i felt the Birchall comparisons and the year Birch had over-hyped him.

Still early for both, but i didn't feel either were top 10 players. Not for that draft anyway.
Thought Freo were nuts parting with Pick 3. Even more grabbing Logue @ 7.

Fair enough , can't say I disagree really but some of the more respected trading watcher have been over the moon with him this year so we'll see what happens and as usual that year we had a high pick and not much else after it so I believe trading down that year worked out well for us as we got some value players later*

* if Louge works out

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fair enough , can't say I disagree really but some of the more respected trading watcher have been over the moon with him this year so we'll see what happens and as usual that year we had a high pick and not much else after it so I believe trading down that year worked out well for us as we got some value players later

plus you added McCarthy as a long term target.
So not too bad (though with a crystal ball view of Lobb and Hogan coming in, do you do that trade still...)

Was that the draft Darcy came in via? Not too bad all in all. Just felt Logue went earlier than he should have...but wouldn't have lasted til your next pick. So sometimes you reach based on need/want, than best available.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
plus you added McCarthy as a long term target.
So not too bad (though with a crystal ball view of Lobb and Hogan coming in, do you do that trade still...)

Was that the draft Darcy came in via? Not too bad all in all. Just felt Logue went earlier than he should have...but wouldn't have lasted til your next pick. So sometimes you reach based on need/want, than best available.

Yeah Darcy , B Cox and McCarthy we wouldn't of got if we stayed where we were

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Parfitt a little underrated. One of the few who is capable of taking over a game. I have him in the top 10.

Taranto the clear number 1 for me. Reminds me of a mix of pre injury menzel and bartel

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Taranto is so underrated. Going to be an absolute beast this season. Got everything you want in a mid-fwd
Neck and neck with McGrath as the best from this draft at the moment.
He's stepped it up from being a really good HFF/mid type into an AFL standard inside mid.

I've got them 1 and 2 still from this draft.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Parfitt a little underrated. One of the few who is capable of taking over a game. I have him in the top 10.

Taranto the clear number 1 for me. Reminds me of a mix of pre injury menzel and bartel
Bartel is a good comparison.
Ive been thinking a Lappin-type mid.

Parfitt is very good. Solid, strong, quick and a bit of x-factor. kind of sick of the cats pulling off so many second rd successes :p

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other ones that I expect to take another step this year are Florent, Witherden, SPS, Berry, Ratugolea, Simpkin and Darcy
Have been a fan of his since 18 months before he was drafted, but was disappointed with Simpkin's game against us on the weekend.

Didn't even realise he was playing when I was watching it live, and when watching the replay I assumed he wasn't playing, then all of a sudden I spotted him. Was very inconspicuous.

One to possibly add to that list is Ben Long, who you guys understandably had a nibble at last offseason.

Was getting better and better and more influential with every game early last year, prior to breaking his foot, and by all reports has improved again over the offseason. Has just returned from a brief injury spell and the club website said he "dominated" Thirsday's training session.

Does some special things and is harder than the hardest cats head.

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Neck and neck with McGrath as the best from this draft at the moment.
He's stepped it up from being a really good HFF/mid type into an AFL standard inside mid.

I've got them 1 and 2 still from this draft.
Fully expect McGrath to go to another level playing as a full time mid but his 2018 lacked a bit while others really kicked on, not sure a lot of non-Essendon supporters would say he's still the best from this draft.
Stewart a clear number 1 at the moment. He's an AA already

Taranto, Berry, McCluggage, and Witherden were at a level above McGrath last year. IMO on exposed form he's on the rung below with Florent, SPP, and Hayward.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Have been a fan of his since 18 months before he was drafted, but was disappointed with Simpkin's game against us on the weekend.

Didn't even realise he was playing when I was watching it live, and when watching the replay I assumed he wasn't playing, then all of a sudden I spotted him. Was very inconspicuous.

One to possibly add to that list is Ben Long, who you guys understandably had a nibble at last offseason.

Was getting better and better and more influential with every game early last year, prior to breaking his foot, and by all reports has improved again over the offseason. Has just returned from a brief injury spell and the club website said he "dominated" Thirsday's training session.

Does some special things and is harder than the hardest cats head.

Yup Long looked like a pretty good player to me , seemed to be just the thing from a needs basis at the Saints as well

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Fully expect McGrath to go to another level playing as a full time mid but his 2018 lacked a bit while others really kicked on, not sure a lot of non-Essendon supporters would say he's still the best from this draft.
Stewart a clear number 1 at the moment. He's an AA already

Taranto, Berry, McCluggage, and Witherden were at a level above McGrath last year. IMO on exposed form he's on the rung below with Florent, SPP, and Hayward.
I disagree here, I wouldn’t have much separating them at all from last year.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yup Long looked like a pretty good player to me , seemed to be just the thing from a needs basis at the Saints as well
Yeah I was a bit concerned in his first year, when he looked a fair way off it and wasn't doing much in the VFL either, but he was a very pleasant surprise last year, and he very much did fit a need.

We had a few who were good at applying forward pressure, but who didn't necessarily have much skill, or kick many goals, but Long brings speed, top-notch defensive pressure/hardness and also some real skill and talent.

We needed another one or two like him ideally and we might have found one in Matty Parker. Very much looking forward to seeing him and Long playing together. They're going to hurt blokes up there! :D

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I disagree here, I wouldn’t have much separating them at all from last year.
Part of my point though - so far it's only been Essendon supporters to claim that. You can probably argue he's on par with the three Brisbane boys but Taranto looks a step ahead in most stats right now and he was playing a half forward role which is generally a pretty difficult role for a young player. All except Witherden look set for more midfield time this year though so I think the comparisons will be a lot easier at the end of this season - particularly as McCluggage, Taranto and McGrath all look like they're ready to have breakout seasons.

Again though, Stewart is leagues above anyone from this draft so far, even if he does have a few years on them.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Part of my point though - so far it's only been Essendon supporters to claim that. You can probably argue he's on par with the three Brisbane boys but Taranto looks a step ahead in most stats right now and he was playing a half forward role which is generally a pretty difficult role for a young player. All except Witherden look set for more midfield time this year though so I think the comparisons will be a lot easier at the end of this season - particularly as McCluggage, Taranto and McGrath all look like they're ready to have breakout seasons.

Again though, Stewart is leagues above anyone from this draft so far, even if he does have a few years on them.
Personally I would say Taranto’s season was better but it’s the clear step above I don’t agree on in that regard, all those players still excelled in certain areas so I can see why many especially lions supporters would argue those 3 having better seasons than McGrath.

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
SPS looks like The penny may have finally dropped for him, and I think the new 6-6-6 rules will help him.

He is bit of a forgotten man in Carlron's young swashbuckling midfield.

SPS looks like The penny may have finally dropped for him, and I think the new 6-6-6 rules will help him.

He is bit of a forgotten man in Carlron's young swashbuckling midfield.

Not sure the penny having dropped has anything to do with it, as that indicates a lack of effort, which has not been his issue to date.

This is the first full preseason he has completed, and the benefits of doing so are clear.

scott_the_man

Club Legend
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The top 3 all had good games in week 1 of JLT. Taranto especially. McGrath did some really nice things in the midfield.

Taranto - 33 disposals, 10 marks, 7 tackles

McGrath - 25 disposals, 4 tackles, 2 goals

McCluggage - 27 disposals, 5 marks, 1 goal

Going to be really interesting tracking the progress of these 3 this season. There's a good chance all 3 are going to explode.

Back