Player Watch #31: Oleg Markov

Remove this Banner Ad

I liked his game except for the 1st quarter, but to be fair as a team we played s**t.

His run from defence was good. yeah he got caught once, but I have no issues with that. Would rather see him try to take the game on and back himself and get caught (which he will learn from) than just dump the ball long. It's a JLT game, perfect place to try this stuff.

He was just unlucky the bloke chasing him was Hunt.

The thing i liked most though is despite those couple of blemishes, it didn't dent his confidence and he didn't go back into his shell, he kept running and creating.

If he gets a good run at it injury wise I reckon he could break into the team at some point.

He's only still on the list because injury ruined him last year and clubs will generally let a guy have a injury free year to prove themselves unless they are very injury prone.

Him and menadue will be gone this time next year unless they are both contracted already. They're only slightly better Jordan McMahon, although at least he could get the ball in the afl.

He's only still on the list because injury ruined him last year and clubs will generally let a guy have a injury free year to prove themselves unless they are very injury prone.

Him and menadue will be gone this time next year unless they are both contracted already. They're only slightly better Jordan McMahon, although at least he could get the ball in the afl.
Harsh marker. Thought Markov was pretty good, granted Melbourne weren't, but he worked in very well with the defence and provided good rebound. Lovely kick as well. I'm also backing Menadue to get better as well, finally got some size on him, just needs to get cracking in the VFL.

I liked when he took Hunt on. He may have beaten him if he kept going but he hesitated. Probably should have kicked long though. Inexperienced but exciting. His run will make us a better team. Btw, who cares if he fumbled in the goal square in a practice match. Grimesy handballed to a melb player in the goalsquare lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harsh marker. Thought Markov was pretty good, granted Melbourne weren't, but he worked in very well with the defence and provided good rebound. Lovely kick as well. I'm also backing Menadue to get better as well, finally got some size on him, just needs to get cracking in the VFL.
theyre both entering their 5th year, and neither has particularly lit up the vfl thus far. theyve also seen short and macintosh fly past them, ellis played there out of position instead of playing either of them, and naish recruited for the same position. id say that if they were going to make it, they would be playing a lot more regularly than now. at this stage their best is likely to be as bit part depth players.

theyre both entering their 5th year, and neither has particularly lit up the vfl thus far. theyve also seen short and macintosh fly past them, ellis played there out of position instead of playing either of them, and naish recruited for the same position. id say that if they were going to make it, they would be playing a lot more regularly than now. at this stage their best is likely to be as bit part depth players.
Well Markov spent a lot of time injured last year, and he looked head and shoulders above in the VFL finals. Menadue is a 50-50. Has the speed and foot to really impact, but wouldn't take the game on. That is a mindset that hopefully he can conquer, because he would be handy. I don't rate Ellis, and MacIntosh is not safe either, and 2 years older.

Well Markov spent a lot of time injured last year, and he looked head and shoulders above in the VFL finals. Menadue is a 50-50. Has the speed and foot to really impact, but wouldn't take the game on. That is a mindset that hopefully he can conquer, because he would be handy. I don't rate Ellis, and MacIntosh is not safe either, and 2 years older.

If Markov and Menadue cannot crack a game early on itd be good to watch them play midfeild in the VFL and try dominate, not flanks or wings

But they are flankers and wingman, so that is more than likely were they will play. They can still dominate those positions.

Fair point but id be nice to see Turner, Stack, English, Naish get a chance at HBF in the VFL

The borderline guys like Markov, Mendue, Ellis, Mcintosh might get a more alrounded game by trying dominate in the middle in the reserves. They need to find improvement to make the seniors.

Sam Lloyd was a gun flanker but went to become a complete midfielder too. When he got to the senior team was more flexible and a better player than before

Last edited:
I agree with the sentiment we would want to see a player really stand up in the VFL before getting a run in the AFL

it is slightly different coming into a new season, with new players and developing younger players, if they train the house down and do well in the JLT they should be considered

here is one example of played great for us in the VFL , but wasn't up to OUR AFL standard

1551668055582.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back