Preview JLT- Lions v Hawks, Moreton Bay Central Sports Complex, Sunday March 3rd 12.40pm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Would like to see Ballenden and Hipwood in tandem next week. Connor can ruck the forward half or third.
Maybe Hodgey in a Baguley type forward role as he's bloody good overhead for a mid size player.
Lyons, Neale and McCarthy were the best 3. Lachie has a real dip and Linc seems to be relishing responsibility and expectation.

At the game today, not a bad crowd considering the weather was a bit suspect leading up to start time.
Can't comment to much on how we played, as i decided to take camera and concentrate on some photos for the day.
So anyone that was not able to watch the game the below link has 59 photos if anyone interested.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/145366432@N03/albums/72157707300734764/with/33389609948/

Either just click on first photo and then go through each one. Or Click on small Monitor icon top right hand side for slide show
great, thanks for sharing

I am a little disappointed with our contested possession stat today. Against their b team I thought the CP differential would be greater.

It was up to about +18 at half time but it drifted back more towards even by the end of the day which is to be expected. I thought the willingness and ability to win contested ball at ground level was really pretty good yesterday.

The main thing this thread proves is a chunk of people have been caught up in the hype.

The reality is we're coming off a base last year of 5 wins. Things could go brilliantly this year and we might only double that tally. We played a club yesterday who won 15 last year - sure this was basically a second-string team, but they've got an excellent coach and system. Their seconds team won the VFL last year.

There's nothing like the promise of hope to drive supporters, but there's some here who are going to have their hearts broken.

It was up to about +18 at half time but it drifted back more towards even by the end of the day which is to be expected. I thought the willingness and ability to win contested ball at ground level was really pretty good yesterday.
Thanks. Didn't realise plus 18 at half time.

A full strength side against a reserves team. The result was embarrassing. Hawthorn showed a clear structure across the park and challenged us for long periods of time. Do you think our reservists could show that level of structure and discipline? Hell no. Our forward line is completely in shambles. Dunno what Fagan is thinking with that structure. Or is that on our line coach?

The main thing this thread proves is a chunk of people have been caught up in the hype.

The reality is we're coming off a base last year of 5 wins. Things could go brilliantly this year and we might only double that tally. We played a club yesterday who won 15 last year - sure this was basically a second-string team, but they've got an excellent coach and system. Their seconds team won the VFL last year.

There's nothing like the promise of hope to drive supporters, but there's some here who are going to have their hearts broken.
We all have different expectations , from what I've read, I don't think a lot of us expect finals.I certainly don't.
But at some stage through the season I would like to think we are in the eight or one or two wins away.

I'm hoping that we are pushing for the finals for as long as we can - and that when it becomes totally impossible (or highly unlikely), it isn't still Round 10 :)

As far as expectation goes....that's a bit easier - continued improvement, evidenced by elements like starting the games well (not being 5 goals down at quarter time), more personnel to share the load (not relying on one or two players to dig us out of trouble all the time) and our bugbear over the last few years, that of allowing a run of 4-5+ goals to the opposition in a 10-15 minute window. I'm not linking my hope and my expectation, as that's the path to the dark side.

As for our game against the Hawks - like every match I watched, we had some good things for the coaches to highlight and some poor aspects for the players to work on, similar to every other team in the league. If we had won by 20 goals, there'd be a section of supporters suggesting that was appropriate, as we were playing against a virtual reserves squad. Another way to say that is some people will never be satisfied. But hey, that's their baggage, not mine :)

We won convincingly in the end, without injuries. Pretty happy with that. YMMV.

A full strength side against a reserves team. The result was embarrassing. Hawthorn showed a clear structure across the park and challenged us for long periods of time. Do you think our reservists could show that level of structure and discipline? Hell no. Our forward line is completely in shambles. Dunno what Fagan is thinking with that structure. Or is that on our line coach?
Certainly no fence sitting with your opinions!(which is refreshing) we are either in the midst of utopia or Armageddon is approaching!

Our forward line bothers me too but part of that is down to the midfield. If the only type of inside 50 is the long bomb then you will vulnerable to too many going for the same ball every time.

Probably worth remembering 2 things though - nobody remembers how well you play at the beginning of the season, just how many games you win and yesterday was a preseason game. It was never going to be fluent.

Definitely a bit to work on though.

It's still a concern isn't it.
How long have our talls looked stagnant standing together or flat footed not leading out to the kicker.
When will our forwards learn to run to the kicker and create space behind them.

I'm trying to ignore imo our weakest link and that is our tall forwards working with each other.
Only consolation is our talls are still doing enough to bring in our small to medium forwards who are showing elite traits.

Still think we can kick winning scores with our smaller players.
When you see the same poor movement year after year and not much improvement , its disappointing.

Can we expect them to get their s**t , yes we should , get your s**t together tall forwards .
One piece of the puzzle that is hard to fit.

I've noticed our tall forwards run under the ball flight when leading to the kicker, or is it the kicker over cooking the kick?
Has anyone have an opinion of this because it happens quite a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You will find that our guys running under the ball will be defenders pushing them under it. Agree our talls need to lead up the ground more and create some 1v1 instead of packs, but i dont think our midfield is firing and moving the ball fluidly, which is making the timing and areas to lead to difficult for our big guys. Still, id like to see them leading a bit more, even if it is unrewarded to stretch the defence. Hard to tell how mich of this they are doing unless live at the game though.

You just look at the winning forward structures of the last few years. It’s the pressure mediums and smells that give the most bang for your buck. With one or two big guys as a focus point. We did it so often last year way too tall. With McCarthy who looks a jet, Charlie back fit too I don’t know why we’re persisting with the giant forward line.

Rayner looks a gun in that medium forward role, we have the cattle now please Fagan end this terrible forward structure or we’ll pay all year for it

You just look at the winning forward structures of the last few years. It’s the pressure mediums and smells that give the most bang for your buck. With one or two big guys as a focus point. We did it so often last year way too tall. With McCarthy who looks a jet, Charlie back fit too I don’t know why we’re persisting with the giant forward line.

Rayner looks a gun in that medium forward role, we have the cattle now please Fagan end this terrible forward structure or we’ll pay all year for it

Banging Bucks smells

You will find that our guys running under the ball will be defenders pushing them under it. Agree our talls need to lead up the ground more and create some 1v1 instead of packs, but i dont think our midfield is firing and moving the ball fluidly, which is making the timing and areas to lead to difficult for our big guys. Still, id like to see them leading a bit more, even if it is unrewarded to stretch the defence. Hard to tell how mich of this they are doing unless live at the game though.
I think Hippy has a tendancy to position himself at the drop of the ball too soon. Making it easier to be nudged under it.
Rather than hanging back a bit and then push off his opponent and lunge forward at the ball at the last moment.
Although when the ball is continually put on his head it makes it a bit hard for him.
That is what made McCarthy’s kick to Rayner such a beauty, because he put the ball to where he wanted Rayner to run.

I think Hippy has a tendancy to position himself at the drop of the ball too soon. Making it easier to be nudged under it.
Rather than hanging back a bit and then push off his opponent and lunge forward at the ball at the last moment.
Although when the ball is continually put on his head it makes it a bit hard for him.
That is what made McCarthy’s kick to Rayner such a beauty, because he put the ball to where he wanted Rayner to run.
That linc to cam was brilliant. Rayner is a smart forward. He could pair nicely with another smart forward in linc.

Lol @ people soiling their nappies about not winning a JLT game by enough. Wait till round 1 at least to throw the toys out of the cot folks.
Thats not why the majority of people are disappointed. It is because our forward line, mostly our tall forwards structure doesn't look cohesive. There is minimal leading, instead the ball is kicked high onto their heads with all our forwards jumping for the one ball. There is no blocking to allow a free forward to lead at the ball and this is happening every year. That is why, best read the posts before potting people.

Re our forward establishment, and specifically concerning Dan McStay.

Doesn't matter what we might think, the coaching personnel see something worth persevering with in our Dan so that's that.

But a memo to the coaching panel: create a package of Jack Darling's game [similar size, marking capacity etc etc], allow Dan to absorb the reality that Darling represents what McStay might become, given substantial extra runnng. It's not all about taking MOTY, the speccie in the goal square. It's effort.

And Darling does this in a side with a better FF than we have.

While the coaches are at it, get them to work on Dan's running style.

Thats not why the majority of people are disappointed. It is because our forward line, mostly our tall forwards structure doesn't look cohesive. There is minimal leading, instead the ball is kicked high onto their heads with all our forwards jumping for the one ball. There is no blocking to allow a free forward to lead at the ball and this is happening every year. That is why, best read the posts before potting people.

I read the posts (god help me). There are multiple posts from me during the game. I agree that the tall forward setup needs tweaking. There have also been lots of posts, though possibly a minority, overreacting to JLT week 1 and the GC practice match.

All I'm saying is maybe some people need to calm down and realise that the season hasn't started yet and there is no need to extrapolate to a doom and gloom scenario yet.

That is why, best read the posts before potting people.
I didn’t see anywhere in his Tom14 ‘s post where he took a pot shot at anyone in particular?
Just a general point that some are over reacting after a practice game and JLT 1.

This would be an ideal front 6 if everyone is fit IMO.

Cameron Rayner, Eric Hipwood, Lincoln McCarthy.
Charlie Cameron, Daniel McStay + 1 rotating/resting Fwd- Lewy Taylor/Dayne Zorko/Jarrod Berry/Hugh McCluggage.

We desperately need McStay to step up, this is Dan's 6th season, it's time. If he can't I wouldn't mind seeing Marcus Adams given a go up front.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back