2019 non-freo nonchalance (aka discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Angus Brayshaw playing this well gives me high hopes for Andrew given how similar there first seasons were, and especially how Andrew started the derby before the Gaff punch.

I think the comments are on the AFL website. I don’t think they’re a dig at Freo at all, just a vanilla reply from a midfielder at a new club.

Who cares if Fyfe has an ego.
Which megastar of the game doesn't?
And I mean ever?
A healthy ego is a prerequisite for being a star

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Who cares if Fyfe has an ego.
Which megastar of the game doesn't?
And I mean ever?
A healthy ego is a prerequisite for being a star

It's all just talk. And remarkably, talk from someone who apparently doesn't want to be recognised when he walks down the street.

Anyway, enjoyed Hawthorn getting done.

I’ve always believed Neale was forced out for picks/cap space.

He is annoyed that we wouldn’t match Brisbane’s offer for him because we knew Hogan & Lobb were coming and needed assets to offload to get the deal done.

Love the fact that we “fatten the pig” before we went to the market with his B&F win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh nah it was completely uncalled for. Had a weak moment. Its not what me or the majority of the lions fan base is about.

Don't sweat it mate , we all have our moments and you built up some credits with me at least during the whole ' saga ' and just to remind you didn't he have 20 at half time and you guys were only 20 pts up against a pretty weak Hawks outfit and that old mate is the ' Lachie Neale conundrum '

If you can survive in the middle without him get him up forward as much as possible would be my advice , I always thought he would be a killer small fwd

Last edited:
Don't sweat it mate , we all have our moments and you built up some credits with me at least during the whole ' saga ' and just to remind you didn't he have 20 at half time and you guys were only 20 pts up against a pretty weak Hawks outfit and that old mate is the ' Lachie Neale conundrum '

If you can survive in the middle without him get him up forward as much as possible would be my advice , I always thought he would be a killer small fwd

Was pretty disappointed with how we went against box hill. Their young guys wanted the pill alot more then we did at the start.

Naughton looks to be developing exactly as we thought. I won’t be surprised if he’s the number 1 intercept player this season. I’d love him and English here.

Last edited:
Aaron Naughton is going to be very very good. Nice draft 2017.
Certainly no complaints with getting Brayshaw, Cerra, Dixon among others, you can't take them all.
I disagree. There is no "going to be" about it. The young man is doing it now; taking marks off the ruckman who has front position! And good on him too. During the pre-draft he indicated he wanted to go to Melbourne, and our needs really fell towards the midfielders, but no one would be complaining if he was on the list.

Last edited:
I’d love him and English here.
I was a bit disappointed with English, although he is clearly a development player. A little difficult to see him as a ruck, and not sure what his other options may be. Early days though, but you can see why clubs rarely draft rucks with early picks now, and that will be even more so now with the 6x6x6.

I was a bit disappointed with English, although he is clearly a development player. A little difficult to see him as a ruck, and not sure what his other options may be. Early days though, but you can see why clubs rarely draft rucks with early picks now, and that will be even more so now with the 6x6x6.
TBH I’m think he could be Gawn like once he builds his strength a bit more. Even watching him last night, he was covering the ground really well, taking a decent mark and was tidy with his disposal.

JLT Series: Brisbane recruits shine in easy win over Hawthorn
MARCH 03, 2019
Lachie Neale has heaped praise on his “selfless” and ego-free midfield mates after starring in his first JLT Series match for Brisbane.

Brisbane’s three off-season recruits have given early notice of the impact they may have this season after standing out in the Lions’ 42-point victory over Hawthorn.

SUPERCOACH: EVERY SCORE FROM LIONS V HAWKS

PRE-SEASON STANDOUT: LIONS DRAFTEE A ROUND 1 BOLTER

Wayward goal kicking from Hawk James Sicily (2.4) contributed to the margin but the Lions were in control for the majority of the match over a depleted Hawthorn outfit.

Former Docker Neale, ex-Sun Jarryd Lyons and Lincoln McCarthy from Geelong were all influential in the 15.12 (102) to 8.12 (60) victory in their first official outing as Lions in front of a crowd of 2812 at Burpengary.

Brisbane’s Lincoln McCarthy lays one of his eight tackles on Tim Mohr. Picture: Getty Images
But Neale insists he and Lyon were able to cash-in because of the selfless nature of their new teammates, and made particular reference to the off-the-ball blocking work Rhys Mathieson does.

“It is a really selfless group, everyone works for one and it doesn’t matter who gets the ball,’’ Neale said.

“There is not one bloke who is trying to run the show and be the man in there.

“It is a pretty even spread, guys want to work for each other.’’

The Lions started slowly in last week’s scratch match against Gold Coast but against the Hawks they looked like they had played together for a long time.

Neale said the personality profile of the side had allowed him to quickly form a connection with the midfield.

“There is no egos in there so it has been really easy to work with everyone,’’ he said.

Neale finished with a game-high 31 disposals and 10 clearances to be the best player on the ground but Lyons, with 27 and four clearances, showed the pair could make a perfect midfield combination.

Lions forward Charlie Cameron flies for a mark in front of Hawthorn’s David Mirra. Picture: Getty Images
They were aided by a solid outing by Archie Smith who gave them first use of the footy by clearly beating Jonathan Ceglar in the hit-outs, although the stand-in Hawks captain got a bit of the footy around the ground.

McCarthy was also very good, kicking two goals, having a hand in another and laying a team-high eight tackles.

No.1 draft pick Cam Raynor (3.3) declared his intent to build on a solid first season with a strong game across half forward.

There was a ripple of nerves through Brisbane’s camp when Charlie Cameron, who had produced flashes of brilliance, pulled up clutching his hamstring in the third quarter but the club later declared it was only cramp.

Hawthorn received good service from James Cousins who made the most of the extra responsibility owing to the absence of senior midfielders Jaeger O’Meara, Liam Shiels and the injured Tom Mitchell.

James Worpel and youngster Tim Golds also impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back