Discussion Random Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that’s theoretically correct but from memory there’s a bit more to it.

It’s a designated benefit in the old now closed scheme based on your final average Salary over the last X number of months multiplied by a figure based on years and rate of contributions. I could be wrong but I seem to remember some clause that allowed you to contribute to the scheme at the same rate if you had been doing so for over 12 months.

The wash up is that under those rules they’d only miss out on any pay increases for super purposes during that period so rather than dropping back the FAS would remain the same.

It’s pretty funny really, there’s that smell of fear in the air and all the rats are looking for the exit. I bet the shredders are getting a work out and the private staffers will be looking for new jobs haha.
Yes.

My understanding was that it's based on your last 3 years average salary.

So the drop from front bench to back bench is massive.

Hence getting out when their income is at its peak.

Would be nice if politicians applied the same austerity measures to themselves.

More chance of seeing a Saints threepeat lol...

The staffers will be fine. They can get jobs as one of those vacant looking dudes that stand behind politicians nodding furiously whenever one of them is talking on camera. It never ceases to amaze me that someone thought this a good idea in the first place, let alone continue it without question. It comes across with the sincerity of Pell with a bag of lollies reassuring a group of choir boys.

Notice the libs have suddenly replaced them with women?

1551672506444.png
WHAT IS JOHN HOWARD SAYING TO CARDINAL GEORGE PELL?

A. Remember our deal, $200,000 to be deposited into my Panama bank account
B. You have lovely soft hands!
C. Purple bishop!??
D. All of the above

and the “Free travel for life” has not got a mention.
The killer is they are Frequent Flyer members so they got the taxpayer to pay for the flights and then got
the points for even more free travel for them & family in the future.

FF should be compulsory for all pollies. BUT ... the FF points should go back into the government coffers for financing other government trips.
a) Means there are less costs for travel.
b) means politicians don't go on stupid trips just to get their FF up.

So bloody simple .... whey TF don't they just do it ....oh yeah both sides vote for junkets

Theyre in the middle of the Garfield township. From all reports the had thier bags packed ready to go if they were told to go.

IDK , bush towns like Licola and Marysville are high risk around fires. I'm not sure i've heard of a town in an agricultural area having significant fire ever ever ever.
Had a grass fire near where i live, was a particular area , and the grass was real long, took off in huge winds, and destroyed on house in the path. Now the government categorize the whole susburb/town as high fire risk. Meanwhile by dumb luck the next suburb didn't have a fire that day , so its not. Yet no more or less likely.

There were a few high fire risk days where all the kids stayed home from school after the fire, until someone decided it was too silly.

View attachment 629058

C. Purple bishop!??
D. All of the above

IDK Pell looks a bit like he's doing a Mark Larkham on him.

I'd go with B.
and Pell is saying, "Johnny you were my best altar boy ever"

Yes.

My understanding was that it's based on your last 3 years average salary.

So the drop from front bench to back bench is massive.

Hence getting out when their income is at its peak.

Would be nice if politicians applied the same austerity measures to themselves.

More chance of seeing a Saints threepeat lol...
Pretty much however it’s not quite 3 years and I believe you can continue to contribute at the same rate if you’ve been paying at that rate for 12 months or more.

The only benefit is they wouldn’t go backwards immediately, their super would decrease over time against a front benchers as they wouldn’t be able to apply any pay rises effectively freezing their super salary.

Yeah they certainly look after themselves in fact they have continued to stick their heads in the trough along with departmental heads while really screwing over ordinary public servants, they haven’t had a decent pay rise for a decade in fact in real terms wages have gone backwards against cost of living I believe. You wouldn’t believe that people receiving large pay rises would have the nerve to offer 1% to their departments but they did. Some departments who held out for years received no back pay and a really poor deal voted in with the help of a legion of temporary staff seduced by promises of permanent jobs.

The PSU wonders why they have problems with membership numbers, maybe they should actually get a bit smarter in their bargaining positions and tactics. It’s not just salaries under attack it’s conditions as well, flexitime is a perfect example. It’s worth money to many people to have flexibility in start, finish and lunch times in the same way as a company car has a defined value. I know people who work in departments who insist staff have flexitime which is a neat trick with a rostered start, finish and lunch time but there it is in the collective bargaining agreement.

At any rate I’m so sick of this government I don’t know where to start the sooner they’re gone the better imo.

Last edited:
IDK , bush towns like Licola and Marysville are high risk around fires. I'm not sure i've heard of a town in an agricultural area having significant fire ever ever ever.
Had a grass fire near where i live, was a particular area , and the grass was real long, took off in huge winds, and destroyed on house in the path. Now the government categorize the whole susburb/town as high fire risk. Meanwhile by dumb luck the next suburb didn't have a fire that day , so its not. Yet no more or less likely.

There were a few high fire risk days where all the kids stayed home from school after the fire, until someone decided it was too silly.
Most of the damage was done to towns were on the edge of the forest bit. The way the fire was going and how the weather was it wasn't going to get beyond the freeway.
I can remember on black Saturday some idiot in the suburb down was grinding at thier house next to the powerlines/grassland. It lit up the grass and the house next door ended up getting burned to the ground.

Pretty much however it’s not quite 3 years and I believe you can continue to contribute at the same rate if you’ve been paying at that rate for 12 months or more.

The only benefit is they wouldn’t go backwards immediately, their super would decrease over time against a front benchers as they wouldn’t be able to apply any pay rises effectively freezing their super salary.

Yeah they certainly look after themselves in fact they have continued to stick their heads in the trough along with departmental heads while really screwing over ordinary public servants, they haven’t had a decent pay rise for a decade in fact in real terms wages have gone backwards against cost of living I believe. You wouldn’t believe that people receiving large pay rises would have the nerve to offer 1% to their departments but they did. Some departments who held out for years received no back pay and a really poor deal voted in with the help of a legion of temporary staff seduced by promises of permanent jobs.

The PSU wonders why they have problems with membership numbers, maybe they should actually get a bit smarter in their bargaining positions and tactics. It’s not just salaries under attack it’s conditions as well, flexitime is a perfect example. It’s worth money to many people to have flexibility in start, finish and lunch times in the same way as a company car has a defined value. I know people who work in departments who insist staff have flexitime which is a neat trick with a rostered start, finish and lunch time but there it is in the collective bargaining agreement.

At any rate I’m so sick of this government I don’t know where to start the sooner their gone the better imo.
Thing is a lot of EBA's have been pretty fair for employees.

Bunnings uses an hours banked system to provide flexibility.

So if you do overtime it goes on your bank.

Then as the EOFY nears, they make you take time off so that they avoid over time.

FWIW I think workers can be their own worst enemies by now joining unions and improve their bargaining power.

Every single workplace benefit they get has resulted from.union action... Not once through corporate generosity.

I've seen it first hand that non union employees are more likely to get the sack and union members.

Then they wonder why.

The vilification narrative pushed over the years by the alt right against unions and any sort of protesting has worked treat for them. Democracy has been eroded and Australia has been asleep at the wheel.

Last edited:
View attachment 629058

C. Purple bishop!??
D. All of the above

Pell’s probably saying your trouser fly’s undone meet you out back 5 minutes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was watching Jeeves and Wooster when I couldn’t help but notice some liberals seem to be channeling the amateur dictator Sir Roderick Spode.

If you haven’t read any of P.G.Wodehouse’s books or watched the dvd’s do so they’re a great laugh.

Most of the damage was done to towns were on the edge of the forest bit. The way the fire was going and how the weather was it wasn't going to get beyond the freeway.
I can remember on black Saturday some idiot in the suburb down was grinding at thier house next to the powerlines/grassland. It lit up the grass and the house next door ended up getting burned to the ground.
Yep that's the suburb i'm on the other side of. Also ,if the council want's to be useful for a change. "Dear farmers/landowners" if you have not made your hay by the end of December we will come and slash your paddocks and send you the bill " No need for farms abutting houses to have waist high grass.

Thing is a lot of EBA's have been pretty fair for employees.

Bunnings uses an hours banked system to provide flexibility.

So if you do overtime it goes on your bank.

Then as the EOFY nears, they make you take time off so that they avoid over time.

FWIW I think workers can be their own worst enemies by now joining unions and improve their bargaining power.

Every single workplace benefit they get has resulted from.union action... Not once through corporate generosity.

I've seen it first hand that non union employees are more likely to get the sack and union members.

Then they wonder why.

The vilification narrative pushed over the years by the alt right against unions and any sort of protesting has worked treat for them. Democracy has been eroded and Australia has been asleep at the wheel.

I've seen it first hand that union members never get their foot in the door. Of course there are always other good reasons to document whey they don't get the job.
Bargaining power only goes so far.
Other first world countries like the USA and even Europe have relatively much lower wages for unskilled workers.
In Australia we've pushed it in industries like manufacturing, which is therefore moving off shore.
Other industries like hospitality are blatantly breaking the law to underpay their workers. They are too scared to blow the whistle.
Sure unionise them all, maybe the coffeeshop union can get $30 an hour for all there members.... but the next thing to happen is people stop buying coffee because it costs too much and the coffeeshops close.
It only seems to work in the government , because its other peoples money and the taxpayers don't get much choice not to pay.

Why is it we can't make cars, yet we can competitively design them? Because the "highly skilled" assembly workers can easily be replaced by someone overseas, the "highly skilled" part wasn't real. They simply weren't. Meanwhile the Engineers at Ford/Holden were, and were probably getting paid less than similarly experienced people in the USA or Europe.

If everyone in Australia was given a $1000 a week pay rise it wouldn't help anyone in the medium term. Go ahead , force someone to pay you more, but don't expect them to have a job there for your kids.

I've seen it first hand that union members never get their foot in the door. Of course there are always other good reasons to document whey they don't get the job.
Other first world countries like the USA and even Europe have relatively much lower wages for unskilled workers.
In Australia we've pushed it in industries like manufacturing, which is therefore moving off shore.
Other industries like hospitality are blatantly breaking the law to underpay their workers. They are too scared to blow the whistle.
Sure unionise them all, maybe the coffeeshop union can get $30 an hour for all there members.... but the next thing to happen is people stop buying coffee because it costs too much and the coffeeshops close.
It only seems to work in the government , because its other peoples money and the taxpayers don't get much choice not to pay.

Why is it we can't make cars, yet we can competitively design them? Because the "highly skilled" assembly workers can easily be replaced by someone overseas, the "highly skilled" part wasn't real. They simply weren't. Meanwhile the Engineers at Ford/Holden were, and were probably getting paid less than similarly experienced people in the USA or Europe.

If everyone in Australia was given a $1000 a week pay rise it wouldn't help anyone in the medium term. Go ahead , force someone to pay you more, but don't expect them to have a job there for your kids.
What rubbish.

Give everyone an extra $1k per week and they'll spend more, and create demand and jobs. Paying an extra $1 for a coffee if you have extra $1k in your wallet won't force businesses to close. It's called discretionary spending. It's why people paid stupid money for alcohol at bars and stupid money for meals at restaurants.

Or we can go your way and create an underclass of low skilled, low paid workers like the USA.

Then you get poverty and a fractured society and increased crime like those gangs you always go on about.

Sure let's create low paid jobs for our kids. What a legacy.

If you want to pinpoint the demise of manufacturing then perhaps study economy of scale and how our low population means that unless we export, there simply isn't enough demand to make local products viable.

Research has shown that the slashing of penalty rates has not led to more jobs, nor have cafe owners dropped their prices to reflect their lower input costs... And it hasn't created extra hours.

Go figure.

Perhaps you can take a proper look at Germany and other Nordic countries, their level of taxes, unionisation and how well their economies do, before you post.

To be fair to you, I really ask that you don't reply to my posts in future with you Andrew Bolt views of the world.

PS: research also proved that the government collected more taxes from car manufacturing and parts manufacturers than it paid in subsidies to the industry.

By removing those subsidies not only did your mates close the industry but also destroyed the advanced, high skilled jobs you bang on about. Bravo.

Last edited:

Our car industry is gone not because of generous wages but because unlike almost every other oecd country our geniuses in the liberal party pulled the pin on subsidies.

They did this despite clear evidence that the subsidies provided tremendous economic benifit to the country and without a seconds though as to the importance of those skilled workers and factories in a time of crisis. Government policy must play a part in Australia being right near the bottom of oecd countries for manufacturing in general.

Australia isn’t the only country to pay a decent wage to manufacturing workers in fact far from it, people might be surprised by how much people make in other countries. Imo it’s just more bullshit propaganda put out by the liberals and business right up there with the lies about how much annual leave we receive, how many public holidays etc.

So where are we now just to check, if you make a living wage Australia can’t afford it and your job will wind up overseas and if business including multinationals have to pay taxes or we expect a decent return on our natural resources then they will all leave and nobody will invest in Australia. Well I call bullshit on all of that, I wanted to murder that fat turd George Christensen when he stood up and basically said nobody bailed out his local abattoirs so why should the car industry get a hand out.

Also the last time I checked the average public servant is highly educated and underpaid compared to their counterparts in private industry, some fat cats are well payed but they’re the exception. Once upon a time they accepted that because of job security, generous super and good conditions of service. Well the super is now pretty much the same as everyone’s, conditions are under attack and thousands of jobs have been lost with more under threat.

Just to address the other people’s money and government expenditure, I never cease to be amazed at how people can compartmentalise things to suit their narrative. That tax multinationals don’t pay, yep that’s our money, those childcare subsides that people get I’m sorry to break it to you but that’s welfare just like Newstart. In point of fact if it’s owed too or paid by the government then it’s all our money.

Last edited:
What rubbish.

Give everyone an extra $1k per week and they'll spend more, and create demand and jobs. Paying an extra $1 for a coffee if you have extra $1k in your wallet won't force businesses to close. It's called discretionary spending. It's why people paid stupid money for alcohol at bars and stupid money for meals at restaurants.

Or we can go your way and create an underclass of low skilled, low paid workers like the USA.

Then you get poverty and a fractured society and increased crime like those gangs you always go on about.

Sure let's create low paid jobs for our kids. What a legacy.

If you want to pinpoint the demise of manufacturing then perhaps study economy of scale and how our low population means that unless we export, there simply isn't enough demand to make local products viable.

Research has shown that the slashing of penalty rates has not led to more jobs, nor have cafe owners dropped their prices to reflect their lower input costs... And it hasn't created extra hours.

Go figure.

Perhaps you can take a proper look at Germany and other Nordic countries, their level of taxes, unionisation and how well their economies do, before you post.

To be fair to you, I really ask that you don't reply to my posts in future with you Andrew Bolt views of the world.

PS: research also proved that the government collected more taxes from car manufacturing and parts manufacturers than it paid in subsidies to the industry.

By removing those subsidies not only did your mates close the industry but also destroyed the advanced, high skilled jobs you bang on about. Bravo.

Give everyone an extra $1000 per week, without doing any extra activity to generate that 1000, and you cause the Australian currency to drop compared to everywhere else.

Only an idiot thinks you can print more money and be better off.
Only an idiot thinks that an unskilled unqualified worker should earn nearly as much as a highly skilled highly qualified person.

No...doing that untested training course doesn't make you highly qualified.

Give everyone an extra $1000 per week, without doing any extra activity to generate that 1000, and you cause the Australian currency to drop compared to everywhere else.

Never said that.

Never suggested that.

Only an idiot thinks that an unskilled unqualified worker should earn nearly as much as a highly skilled highly qualified person.

Never suggested that either

You're really being incoherent mate.

Low wage growth is stifling the economy.

Why do you think governments pump prime the economy in times of recession?

Tell me how does cutting people's disposable income help create jobs?

Why give multinationals tax cuts which they simply return to shareholders I steadof creating jobs?

Why not give them to payg workers so they can spend it back into the economy?

In fact, why give tax cuts at all if it creates and ongoing structural problem for the budget? Do you know what a structural deficit is?

Weaker dollar? Boom for exporters last time I checked.

Unless you are travelling overseas or importing stuff, the dollar value means nothing to the average punter.

Wage increases are through demand for employees outstrips supply of workers.

Once again economics 101 which you fail to grasp.

The only way forward to improve living standards and economic growth is through productivity gains.

This comes from automisation and lowering input costs. Currently, humans are seen as dispensable when it comes to input costs.

Productivity gains peaked almost 30 years ago and have been declining ever since.

Do you prefer another work choices scenario where workers get screwed on wages or get sacked? Tell me how will that benefit your kids exactly.

The only way to now increase productivity is to reduce energy input costs... And that comes from transitioning to renewables and away from fossils.

Cutting penalty rates will not. Nor will trickle down economics.

If you are as concerned as you say about your kids future, then you should be stomping up and down with absolute rage at the current lot who have totally ****ed up the biggest infrastructure project of the 21st century (NBN), and done nothing about addressing climate issues or encourage the transition to the new economy fueled by renewable - which ad it happens is where those new high tech jobs for our kids will come from.

In a way, I wish Rudd didn't act and allowed us to go into a deep recession like the rest of the western world. That way complacency might have been replaced by the reality that the system is broken, and needs a radical overhaul in the way we go about it.

I'm done. You seem to ignore most points of view and cherry pick your replies.

Futile.

Never said that.

Never suggested that.

Why give multinationals tax cuts which they simply return to shareholders I steadof creating jobs?

In fact, why give tax cuts at all if it creates and ongoing structural problem for the budget? Do you know what a structural deficit is?

Unless you are travelling overseas or importing stuff, the dollar value means nothing to the average punter.

The only way forward to improve living standards and economic growth is through productivity gains.

This comes from automisation and lowering input costs. Currently, humans are seen as dispensable when it comes to input costs.

Productivity gains peaked almost 30 years ago and have been declining ever since.

Do you prefer another work choices scenario where workers get screwed on wages or get sacked? Tell me how will that benefit your kids exactly.

The only way to now increase productivity is to reduce energy input costs... And that comes from transitioning to renewables and away from fossils.

If you are as concerned as you say about your kids future, then you should be stomping up and down with absolute rage at the current lot who have totally ****** up the biggest infrastructure project of the 21st century (NBN), and done nothing about addressing climate issues or encourage the transition to the new economy fueled by renewable - which ad it happens is where those new high tech jobs for our kids will come from.

In a way, I wish Rudd didn't act and allowed us to go into a deep recession like the rest of the western world. That way complacency might have been replaced by the reality that the system is broken, and needs a radical overhaul in the way we go about it.

Futile.

Low wage growth is a result of low national productivity.
No-one wants to invest anything in Australia.

LOL you think transitioning to renewable will reduce energy input costs. You really are drinking your own bathwater.

NBN ? Seriously you can't think of a reason why we can't have a system like Singapore?
You think places like the USA are much better off?

Never said that.

Never suggested that.

If you are as concerned as you say about your kids future, then you should be stomping up and down with absolute rage at the current lot who have totally ****** up the biggest infrastructure project of the 21st century (NBN), and done nothing about addressing climate issues or encourage the transition to the new economy fueled by renewable - which ad it happens is where those new high tech jobs for our kids will come from.

Futile.

Encourage anyone to watch this requiemforamericandream.com

The principles apply to Australia 100 %

If you have different opinion to Chomsky would be very suprised .

Low wage growth is a result of low national productivity.
No-one wants to invest anything in Australia.

LOL you think transitioning to renewable will reduce energy input costs. You really are drinking your own bathwater.

NBN ? Seriously you can't think of a reason why we can't have a system like Singapore?
You think places like the USA are much better off?
Once again you cannot provide a valid counter argument.

Just emotive nonsense.

If you cannot grasp the importance of fibre nbn I can't help you. A first class nbn allows us to not only do business in a global scale, but move information and data quicker and more effectively. Oops, there's that stupid productivity thing again.

It allows people to spend more time working from home... Spend less on commuting... And a better quality of life.

It allows businesses to employ people who can work at home and save money on buildings and all the costs associated with housing employees under one roof.

Yep you guessed it... Productivity.

Wowee, who would have thought you could do that.

Less people commuting = less congestion and pollution. Fancy that?

If you cannot see the way Germany and China are moving to renewables, I cannot help you. Villages and towns are all setting up their renewable power and storage and providing surplus to the grid. Don't expect to learn that in the Herald Sun. But it is happening.

Apparently, once you establish the infrastructure, the cost per kw goes down as more energy is produced for free.

If you cannot grasp the concept of productivity and how it works, I cannot help you.

If you cannot see that the price of oil set by the cartels determines whether we prosper or flounder, I can't help you.

Do you not understand that the real cause of the GFC was the record high price of oil, causing economies to grind to a halt?

Show me evidence instead of rubbish comments and I'll listen.

Once again you do not address specific points with credible facts.

Not once have you acknowledged nor suggested where our future jobs will come from.

Frankly I do not expect the flat earth cheerleaders to actually absorb any of this.

PSmoY9v.jpg

Just before 8PM the past few days I get a bit of an airshow with all the aircraft returning from the fireground at Bunyip. Looking at flightradar24 they've even got an ex US-army black hawk doing the rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back