Preview JLT1: Geelong V West Coast 4:10 pm AWST @Leederville Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you can't handle even slight recognition of a good quarter and describe that as "blowing the icing off the cake" then yes your criticisms are quite obviously insane. Don't blame me for pointing out your clear and burning hatred of the man. It's there clear as day in your postings.

You have done a good job putting forward the idea that Cuthrie was not the worst player in JLT1 (and acknowledged I think that he was not in the best either).

You face quite a number on here who have made up their minds that he is not best 22 and will continue to follow that theme.

Its time to sit back now and just watch - barrack for the hoops . Enjoy the footy.

Guthrie himself is the only one who can answer the criticism he faces - he needs to impress early and retain best 22 status. Then only those who see no good in much of what GFC attempt to do will still be banging away and it will be easy to defend............. Or Guthrie will be gone at seasons end (or parked in the VFL) and if thats the case I will mourn the loss of the 100+ games of experience - not the player himself (a la Mudoch).

Remember that there are usually 6 or 7 players moved on / delisted on average (probably a few more lately) so the doubters are bound to be correct on quite a number of players (even I doubt some players on the list will survive at years end).

I don't find it hard to put my opinion forward or support or question others but I am not often engaged for more than a couple of posts.

I hope to be able to stay on the board by not being locked in to what is usually (after the first few exchanges) just argument. Which is wearing.

You have done a good job putting forward the idea that Cuthrie was not the worst player in JLT1 (and acknowledged I think that he was not in the best either).

You face quite a number on here who have made up their minds that he is not best 22 and will continue to follow that theme.

Its time to sit back now and just watch - barrack for the hoops . Enjoy the footy.

Guthrie himself is the only one who can answer the criticism he faces - he needs to impress early and retain best 22 status. Then only those who see no good in much of what GFC attempt to do will still be banging away and it will be easy to defend............. Or Guthrie will be gone at seasons end (or parked in the VFL) and if thats the case I will mourn the loss of the 100+ games of experience - not the player himself (a la Mudoch).

Remember that there are usually 6 or 7 players moved on / delisted on average (probably a few more lately) so the doubters are bound to be correct on quite a number of players (even I doubt some players on the list will survive at years end).

I don't find it hard to put my opinion forward or support or question others but I am not often engaged for more than a couple of posts.

I hope to be able to stay on the board by not being locked in to what is usually (after the first few exchanges) just argument. Which is wearing.
Guthrie is more likely to see his 3 year deal out than not,Gaz, Kelly and Cockatoo could all depart over the next two years,and not to many clubs will knock on Cams door.

And answers a few Guthrie question too,23 disposals 9 clearances,124m gained,what's that about 5.5m per disposal on average,and only one inside 50,lots of spinning the wheels up the ground there,no wonder there's time for the opposition players to push back.

One of our biggest weaknesses in the last few years has been our blindness in going forward. Blindly banging it on the boot gets you a lot of meters gained but hurts the team. A well placed handball or kick that doesn't gain many meters but puts a player in to space is far more beneficial. Just in the 3rd quarter Guthrie:

Started a handball chain leading to an unpressured clear centre clearance for Henry
Gave a nice handball setting Stewart away into space
Gave a nice handball for an unpressured centre clearance to Duncan
Gave a nice handball putting Miers into space
Gave a nice handball putting Constable into space
Chipped a nice pass putting Henderson into space for an unpressured forward 50 entry

The total meters gained for those would've been close to zero but they led to a lot of easy meters gained and dangerous attacks from the next possession. In contrast probably his worst piece of play for the quarter was recieving a handball from Danger, running and missing a very gettable shot at goal which would've probably given 80 or so metres gained. Perhaps it's best to look at what happened rather than just stats?

One of our biggest weaknesses in the last few years has been our blindness in going forward. Blindly banging it on the boot gets you a lot of meters gained but hurts the team. A well placed handball or kick that doesn't gain many meters but puts a player in to space is far more beneficial. Just in the 3rd quarter Guthrie:

Started a handball chain leading to an unpressured clear centre clearance for Henry
Chipped a nice pass putting Henderson into space for an unpressured forward 50 entry

The total meters gained for those would've been close to zero but they led to a lot of easy meters gained and dangerous attacks from the next possession. In contrast probably his worst piece of play for the quarter was recieving a handball from Danger, running and missing a very gettable shot at goal which would've probably given 80 or so metres gained. Perhaps it's best to look at what happened rather than just stats?
Where do you get off constantly bloody living up to your username?

He must be disappointed there are no Brownlow votes in JLT,looks like you had him down for 3.

A more fruitful approach around here when it comes to those you don't favour is to simply do whatever is necessary to suit your argument.

When the stats don't support your viewpoint, go with the 'I know what I saw - stats are irrelevant' gambit.

But if the stats do supposedly support your perspective, be sure to quote them and remind everyone that the 'numbers don't lie'.

And make sure to include plenty of personal, puerile and entirely irrelevant insults towards said player on the way through.

It's slow-moving fish in a tiny barrel.

With a bazooka.

A more fruitful approach around here when it comes to those you don't favour is to simply do whatever is necessary to suit your argument.

When the stats don't support your viewpoint, go with the 'I know what I saw - stats are irrelevant' gambit.

But if the stats do supposedly support your perspective, be sure to quote them and remind everyone that the 'numbers don't lie'.

And make sure to include plenty of personal, puerile and entirely irrelevant insults towards said player on the way through.

It's slow-moving fish in a tiny barrel.

With a bazooka.
Some posters would go through an awful lot of barrels per season.:)

A couple of times he got lucky,if he wan't to make it as a defender he needs to identify his man and maintain contact,getting lost is how he finds himself on the big forwards like Roughead.

You either don't understand the modern game or are being deliberately disingenuous! He was on Roughhead because clubs who play zone defences sometimes just expect whatever player to pick up whomever they are closest to playing in their part of the zone. One thing you absolutely can't criticise Zuthrie for is positional sense and winning one on ones.

He is going to make some people on this board look so stupid and I for one can't wait. The kid can straight up play. Yes he is a development player because of his body and may take 1 or 2 extra years but he will be a good to very good AFL player!

Crediting Cam with having a purple patch and why is not objective enough for you,what the hell do you want me to do make it up and tell you he was great.

No it is just that your comment made no sense. You credited someone with a purple patch in a quarter and then said it was only a busy quarter at best. That incongruous unless you don't understand what purple patch means. If you have a purple patch you might still have only an ok game but that quarter just has to be a good one!

Guthrie is a lazy plodder with no peripheral vision, an inability to break or stick a tackle, sells his team mates into trouble all the time, and the kicking skills of a blind mule.... did I mention hes lazy?
Talking up a 140 game veteran for a slightly above par performance in a pre season game is laughable. Not one "media observer or outlet" had him in our best either, but look at the carry on of some of you!
Fair and accurate post is fair and accurate

Where has anyone talked him up outside of saying he still deserves a spot in the best 22. Also I love that you call out people for making definitive statements surrounding JLT and then do it yourself. Idiot!

Calling critics insane while blowing the icing off the cake of a 140 game veteran for playing a reasonable pre season game
LOLOLOL....you cant write this shite!

Please point out what in that post is even close to blowing icing off the cake and being over the top in general about his performance. Don't just rant without using examples to back up what you say or you lose all credibility. Wait hang on what is that saying about a horse and bolting?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a little ambivalent with respect to the Guthrie debate...

What I will say is that the "metres gained" stat is rubbish....
Given the other side of the argument concedes he probably made 80mtr in one play that means 22 disposals for 44 mtr gained,good sides will pressure him again when we are playing for points and the turnover will come,It's a territory game today and over using the footy is death.And 2mtr per disposal is over using it.
Any I've got to go catch my tea have fun.

He must be disappointed there are no Brownlow votes in JLT,looks like you had him down for 3.

This brilliant type of over the top reaction to someone's reasonable analysis is why you opinions on him just can't be trusted. You have clearly become so warped in your dislike of the player that you can't understand rationale thought relating to him anymore. Sad but not my problem!

Please point out what in that post is even close to blowing icing off the cake and being over the top in general about his performance. Don't just rant without using examples to back up what you say or you lose all credibility. Wait hang on what is that saying about a horse and bolting?
English olease

I'm a little ambivalent with respect to the Guthrie debate...

The irony being that every reasonable person is ambivalent to Guthrie. Nobody thinks he's been anything but disappointing over the last few years and I haven't seen anyone suggest he's done anything more than hold his place in the 22 and then have a very good 3rd quarter on Friday meaning he should keep his place in the 22. It's just that there are a whole lot of people around here where ambivalence is replaced by visceral hatred.

Hahaha the irony of not understand it because is was short probably two commas and then you couldn't even spell please. Oh well dealing with simple is ironically difficult!
*understanding

The irony being that every reasonable person is ambivalent to Guthrie. Nobody thinks he's been anything but disappointing over the last few years and I haven't seen anyone suggest he's done anything more than hold his place in the 22 and then have a very good 3rd quarter on Friday meaning he should keep his place in the 22. It's just that there are a whole lot of people around here where ambivalence is replaced by visceral hatred.
I'll say it one more time nobody here hates Guthrie except maybe Spazz in short bursts LOL,we all want the Cats to play the best balanced team available each and every week with maybe the exception of bunging a few games into the likes of a Clark getting the nod if it's a 50/50 call.
A lot of us have simply given up on Guthrie and what he's delivered over the last couple of years,people say he's lost form or confidence,I believe he has been worked out as having poor core strength in a tackle (even the umpires are awake to that) so he is quick to move the ball on by hand and not get pinged holding it and that's is now a weakness in his game sweated on by good sides.How does he turn that around only by running the ball more often and taking a tackle occasionally before giving off or kicking to a longer option and having opponents guessing again.It's all up to him.

Last edited:
I'll say it one more time nobody here hates Guthrie except maybe Spazz in short bursts LOL,we all what the Cats to play the best balanced team available each and every week with maybe the exception of bunging a few games into the likes of a Clark getting the nod if it's a 50/50 call.
A lot of us have simple given up on Guthrie and what he's delivered over the last couple of years,people say he's lost form or confidence,I believe he has been worked out as having poor core strength in a tackle (even the umpires are awake to that) so he is quick to move the ball on by hand and not get pinged holding it and that's is now a weakness in his game sweated on by good sides.How does he turn that around only by running the ball more often taking an tackle occasionally before giving off or kicking to a longer option and having opponents guessing again.It's all up to him.
Speak for yourself, I despise him. I despise the way he makes a mockery of the jumper with his half-arse efforts and I despise the way he coasts along knowing he's guaranteed a game. The quicker he's gone from this club the better.

Speak for yourself, I despise him. I despise the way he makes a mockery of the jumper with his half-arse efforts and I despise the way he coasts along knowing he's guaranteed a game. The quicker he's gone from this club the better.
If he takes as long to leave as he does to chase an opponent or man up, we are going to be waiting awhile

If he takes as long to leave as he does to chase an opponent or man up, we are going to be waiting awhile
He'll play until well in his 50's, and still get a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back