Twilight Grand Final all but confirmed - but actually no!

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure in the early days they started about 3pm to allow for people who did half days on Saturday before the 5 day week. I'm reading the history of Grand Finals books and there was one around 1940 where they said the start time was brought forward from 2.45 to 2.30pm

perhaps they followed start time of the game played in the mother land?
has the traditional start time fro English soccer always been 3pm?

1984 was when they shifted away from having two finals on at same time in Melbourne.
They started playing finals on Sunday then so before then two finals on in Melbourne at 2:30 pm was the norm. I guess they wanted to maximise crowds by spreading timeslots around when finals played.

Next big change was final 6 in 1991 and first time a final played outside of Victoria. Eagles v Hawks over Subiaco from memory.

Then the first night final in 1993. By this time we are starting to see more and more tv influencing when games played. But still even then most finals were not live on tv. They would mostly be in the day and you see the replay at night.

But by late 1990's night finals was regular thing and I cannot recall when finals in general started all to become live on tv but my guess is around 1999 or 2000.

Now we get nearly all the finals at night and barely get a day final apart from week one and grand final itself.

I thought Sunday games started in 1984 be sure the VFL. wasn't allowed to play on Sundays before that. In the old days it used to be 1 final per weekend on a Saturday (1st semi one week, 2nd semi the next)

perhaps they followed start time of the game played in the mother land?
has the traditional start time fro English soccer always been 3pm?

Think it was more to do with work hours. Players worked normal jobs in those days as well as supporters

Main reason is that the majority of AFL games are now played at night, and basically all finals are played at night.

Players and supporters are now consitioned to seeing AFL played at night -|- It made sense when all games were played on Sat arvo to play the GF on Sat arvo, but now that the majority of games are at night the GF should too be at night -|- Then there are commercial reasons, will get more $$ from broadcasting during prime time -|- Then there is expansion reasons, more casual non football fans more likely to tune in at night than during the day.

You fail pretty badly at all these arguments considering 3:30 is not night time ;) lol It's twilight -by the end-

And it's a lie to say the majority are at night. 9 games per week and only 4 are night games at most. One friday night, 2 saturday night (most weeks), with some weeks having a thurs game too.

I thought Sunday games started in 1984 be sure the VFL. wasn't allowed to play on Sundays before that. In the old days it used to be 1 final per weekend on a Saturday (1st semi one week, 2nd semi the next)

nah, there were a few Sunday games before then.
I remember Carlton and South Melbourne one of the first teams in my time to play a Sunday game at the G in middle of Melbourne winter.
Essendon and Collingwood also played one of the first Sunday games in Melbourne. These were probably 1980 or 81. They may have eve needed to have special approval to play on Sunday back then. Before that a few Sunday games at SCG as experiments. Carlton played Essendon at SCG, Hawks played North with one of best Leigh Matthews goals on highlights and St.Kilda and Richmond also played a Sunday game at SCG.
Then it was about 1982 South Melbourne moved to Sydney at SCG and started playing 11 home games there and televised live into Melbourne on tv straight after World of Sport. It was a big thing at the time and it was the start of what killed off VFA football having the Sunday niche market to itself. Everyone had a VFL team for Saturday and if you wanted to watch VFA footy channel 10 had it Sunday arvo and follow your VFA team there if on tv.

Sorry, may have misunderstood your post.
Yeah, first final on a Sunday was a Collingwood v Fitzroy final in 1984 I believe.

You fail pretty badly at all these arguments considering 3:30 is not night time ;) lol It's twilight -by the end-

And it's a lie to say the majority are at night. 9 games per week and only 4 are night games at most. One friday night, 2 saturday night (most weeks), with some weeks having a thurs game too.
Based on Melbourne Time

There are just 12 games scheduled to start at 2:10pm this season

Granted there are 38 scheduled at the earlier times of 1:45 and 1:10 on Sunday, so that would make 50 games scheduled to start in the 'traditional' early afternoon time-slot.

There are an additional 24 scheduled to start at 3:20pm, the weird Sunday arvo fabricated for TV timeslot.

There are 115 games scheduled for a twilight or night start

The overwhelming majority of H&A games are now played under floodlights in the twilight or night slots

nah, there were a few Sunday games before then.
I remember Carlton and South Melbourne one of the first teams in my time to play a Sunday game at the G in middle of Melbourne winter.
Essendon and Collingwood also played one of the first Sunday games in Melbourne. These were probably 1980 or 81. They may have eve needed to have special approval to play on Sunday back then. Before that a few Sunday games at SCG as experiments. Carlton played Essendon at SCG, Hawks played North with one of best Leigh Matthews goals on highlights and St.Kilda and Richmond also played a Sunday game at SCG.
Then it was about 1982 South Melbourne moved to Sydney at SCG and started playing 11 home games there and televised live into Melbourne on tv straight after World of Sport. It was a big thing at the time and it was the start of what killed off VFA football having the Sunday niche market to itself. Everyone had a VFL team for Saturday and if you wanted to watch VFA footy channel 10 had it Sunday arvo and follow your VFA team there if on tv.

There was no restriction on playing Sundays in Sydney. Can't remember the issue (may have had to do with Sunday trading) but part of it was to protect the VFA who played Sundays.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back