Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
Yeah man. I don't give a s**t about his haircut or anything like that.
I don't even think he's lacking skill.
It's the EFFORT. The jogging, the tiny little steps, the running in an arc around a player to avoid tackling.
I hate it. I really do. It's no good for the club.

FFS I was at the game and saw zero of that. There’s a fair bit of playing the man on here and quite a few need to start being objective rather than canning players on past judgements
For a start like most JLT games no one stood out over the four quarters, there’s lots of rotations and players are managed depending on where they are at fitness wise
IMHO Guthrie showed what he’s good at and stood out in a few excellent passages of play - he probably showed as much as the skipper and Danger and was better than Kelly and Menegola( was managed carefully)
All that matters to me is that an in form Guthrie makes us a better side - it’s up to him and the coaches to deliver on that.
Lets look to 2019 and assess all players on what they bring this year.
2018 is well and truly done and dusted

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
FFS I was at the game and saw zero of that. There’s a fair bit of playing the man on here and quite a few need to start being objective rather than canning players on past judgements
For a start like most JLT games no one stood out over the four quarters, there’s lots of rotations and players are managed depending on where they are at fitness wise
IMHO Guthrie showed what he’s good at and stood out in a few excellent passages of play - he probably showed as much as the skipper and Danger and was better than Kelly and Menegola( was managed carefully)
All that matters to me is that an in form Guthrie makes us a better side - it’s up to him and the coaches to deliver on that.
Lets look to 2019 and assess all players on what they bring this year.
2018 is well and truly done and dusted
I watched it on TV and saw it a lot. That's why I am saying it.
If I thought he put in as much effort defensively as everyone else. I'd say that.
I agree though it was a good game by Guthrie's standards.

Isn't that the Chris Scott thread?

You had to bring that up, didn't you.....:mad:.......

wiley-coyote-help.jpg

Grumpy Cat

Draftee
May 6, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm a little ambivalent with respect to the Guthrie debate...

What I will say is that the "metres gained" stat is rubbish....

Exactly, who cares if some one kicks it 80 meters to the opposition team and it comes straight back. Maybe it should be meters gained to advantage, or something like that.

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Exactly, who cares if some one kicks it 80 meters to the opposition team and it comes straight back. Maybe it should be meters gained to advantage, or something like that.

Yeah it's a bit of a crap stat. Huge numbers normally mean a good game because it means you've got a lot of long kicks but when it's only a few possessions they could easily most be useless.

I think the best stat for attacking impact is score involvements. It's not perfect but consistently the best attacking players (danger, Martin, Franklin, etc) are right up the top. For the mids it relies a bit on other mids or forwards but messing up good play but over the course of a match it normally evens out mostly.

According to footy live Danger had 8, Parfitt 7, Esava 5 then Duncan, Miers, Atkins and Guthrie with 4. They matches pretty well with who have is drive through the game (Esava kicked 3 points so that's where a bunch of his came from). Not surprisingly Clark led the defenders with 3.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Given the other side of the argument concedes he probably made 80mtr in one play that means 22 disposals for 44 mtr gained,good sides will pressure him again when we are playing for points and the turnover will come,It's a territory game today and over using the footy is death.And 2mtr per disposal is over using it.
Any I've got to go catch my tea have fun.

You may be right, but I just can't get past my annoyance with the americanism that is sneaking into our game.

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Might not mean anything - stats can be deceiving - but with the new rules in now etc

However i heard on the radio tonight ( and i dont know if it applied in previous years ) but all the winners had a clear advantage in marks taken

Eagles 120 Cats 90
Magpies 120 Dockers 60
Crows 120 Port 80

Ididnt quite catch the Rich ones - but was mentioned they had more marks than Melb

Tinlids

Wojo appreciation society
Mar 22, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah man. I don't give a s**t about his haircut or anything like that.
I don't even think he's lacking skill.
It's the EFFORT. The jogging, the tiny little steps, the running in an arc around a player to avoid tackling.
I hate it. I really do. It's no good for the club.

Completely agree. I thought cam was destined to be in our top few players 4-5 years ago but he’s lost a step or two and the evasive tricks he once had are almost ineffective now. I think the criticism is coming for him now because as you mention he lacks defensive desperation which is a trait only the very best offensive players can be found guilty of while still deserving a place in an afl side. Broken tackles is key in the modern game and I would put cam even behind our rucks in tackling effectiveness. Sure he can get tackles sweating his man to the contest but he can’t seem to hang on to the tougher ones consistently. It will be hard for the cats to drop Cuthrie with his best mate blitz and his brother also tied to the club but I think we now have some youth worthy of games ahead of him for mine.

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
I'm thinking of setting up a "go here to bicker" thread....

We now have two of these up and running. The Scott and Cuthrie threads.

If only all the bile could be directed to those two locales, the rest of the site would become entirely worth reading again.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Footy Smarts absolutely bossing it in here.
ypo you have a weird obsession. It sure can't be healthy.
After years of Kersten and Varcoe I'm a seasoned warrior now,I've been in this position before,but thanks for the concern.And mea culpa Mitch Brown 3 from 3 I have a good strike record.

Last edited:

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

I'd be interested in scoring metres gained - the metres gained from possessions in scoring chains.

After years of Kersten and Varcoe I'm a seasoned warrior now,I've been in this position before,but thanks for the concern.And mea culpa Mitch Brown 3 from 3 I have a good strike record.
Largely beside the point. There’s a couple on here and yourself that seemingly can’t talk about the team or game without referencing Cam. Just a tad obsessive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back