Twilight Grand Final all but confirmed - but actually no!

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
And didn’t outrate the day AFL grand finals.
The AFL Grand Final is the biggest sporting event in the country. Of course it didn't.

But it did outrate the day Grand finals of the same sport.

A night or twilight AFL Grand Final would outrate the day one.

If it didn't the media wouldn't want it moved.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
There's NRL Grand Finals I've watched that I simply wouldn't have if it meant giving up my weekend afternoon to watch TV at 2.30pm.

Don't pretend "the people" wouldn't like a later start time.

Demon13304

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
There's NRL Grand Finals I've watched that I simply wouldn't have if it meant giving up my weekend afternoon to watch TV at 2.30pm.

Deadset. I'd love it to stay during the day but its all about getting new fans and casual fans watching in places like sydney in whichthey wouldn't go out of there way to watch but might as well if they don't have anything on at that time

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
******* ridiculous that it '' could '' be a night Grand Final with the season starting in a couple of weeks. Announce it the year before and lock it in you amateur morons. They'll probably do what they did other years '' next year, we'll strongly consider it ''

rinse, repeat.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
tbh most people in WA would still prefer it be a day GF, and for people in the the west it doesnt even start at a great time (12:30). So its not just Melburnians.
Most? Really? You know this?

Well I guess we should give it a go.

If the ratings are even bigger then it's a success.
If not we can always change it back.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
The AFL Grand Final is the biggest sporting event in the country. Of course it didn't.

But it did outrate the day Grand finals of the same sport.

A night or twilight AFL Grand Final would outrate the day one.

If it didn't the media wouldn't want it moved.

And how do they measure multiple people watching from the same device? E.g. perhaps the friendlier day time means more people will leave their houses to gather and watch together, which reduces the number of devices tuned in at any one time.

Is this taken into account? I'm not sure more individuals by head count are watching the same spectacle at night.

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It really doesn't bother me at all. A big carry on over a few hours difference.

You'll all still watch it and enjoy it regardless.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
And how do they measure multiple people watching from the same device? E.g. perhaps the friendlier day time means more people will leave their houses to gather and watch together, which reduces the number of devices tuned in at any one time.

Is this taken into account? I'm not sure more individuals by head count are watching the same spectacle at night.
Possible.

But still the ratings figures will show when it should be put on.
The more the merrier.

kid_a

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, East Freo, Glory
Most? Really? You know this?

Well I guess we should give it a go.

If the ratings are even bigger then it's a success.
If not we can always change it back.

1551742256429.png

plus just going by anecdotadle evidence of people i speak to about 2/3 what to keep a day GF

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Fundamentally this is about the broadcasters control of the same. You can argue that many more people watch than will attend the event, but there's huge risk in viewing it as an event staged for broadcasting. The paradox is it's value to the broadcaster is the tradition and hype around the event.

Suoer Rugby's rapid decline is what happens when a competition primarily driven by the broadcast. Suoer League was another where the lack if criwds seriously detracted from the spectacle.

I think a twilight or night GF might work initially as many more people want to go than can fit in to the MCG anyway . It would be detrimental to the game in the long term though.

A huge error to think copying the NRL us a good idea anyway. For all the criticism if the ADL's administration they are clearly decades ahead of the NRL in every way.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Possible.

But still the ratings figures will show when it should be put on.
The more the merrier.

Let me give you a scenario.

1. A street of people, 10 houses with 4 people each gather every year to have a barbeque at one house, tuned on and watching on 1 device.
Total viewers = 40.

2. On the same night next year, its pouring rain, storming, cold and everyone keeps their kids at home and watches it at home. 10 houses 30 people, because one kid has gone to bed by 730pm. 10 devices tuned in.
Total viewers = 30.

In scenario 2, the "ratings" are 10x scenario 1, with less individuals watching. So why should we base it on the "ratings"? And not what the people want or what suits the people?

Every fan poll thus far wants a day Grand Final.

dzussy

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I like a 2.30pm Grand Final.

Allows you to hit the p!ss afterwards at 5pm and chug along until the wee small hours.
A night game finishes at 10pm, cuts into important drinking time.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Deadset. I'd love it to stay during the day but its all about getting new fans and casual fans watching in places like sydney in whichthey wouldn't go out of there way to watch but might as well if they don't have anything on at that time
Naaah * em

There's a role for growing the game sure. Not at the expense if millions of diehard fans though. If people need to be enticed away from reality TV to watch the AFL GF, they dont matter.

halalsnackpack

All Australian
Apr 11, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle

Yeah because it's a Sunday night. You think people in Sydney who don't give a s**t about footy are gonna give up a Saturday night out with their friends to watch some weird sport they have little interest in? Nobody goes out on a Sunday night that's why most of us probably watch the NRL GF even if we don't have much of an interest in it.

Back