Preview JLT Round 1 - Gold Coast vs Western Bulldogs - Sunday March 3, 7:40pm in Mackay

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Interested to hear others thoughts on our offense. Looked very slow compared to the other teams I saw play this weekend. Players coming out of defensive 50 seemed to be deliberately trying to hold the ball up and retain possession while EVERYONE from both teams set up ahead of the ball. Lots of kicks and handballs from contests to nobody in particular trying to create stoppages further up the ground.

Obviously greasy conditions and lack of conditioning a factor - a few too many behinds from the doggies probably contributed to slowing things down and keeping us trapped in defence as well.
We were really slick and polished against the Lions last week with some fast direct ball movement which made me hope we’d finally found a system. Am hoping it was just the conditions last night. The game against Sydney who have such a strong team defence should give us a clearer picture.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Interested to hear others thoughts on our offense. Looked very slow compared to the other teams I saw play this weekend. Players coming out of defensive 50 seemed to be deliberately trying to hold the ball up and retain possession while EVERYONE from both teams set up ahead of the ball. Lots of kicks and handballs from contests to nobody in particular trying to create stoppages further up the ground.

Obviously greasy conditions and lack of conditioning a factor - a few too many behinds from the doggies probably contributed to slowing things down and keeping us trapped in defence as well.
We looked like we flooded the defence of the Dogs because of their midfield dominance. Whenever we got the ball back there we would have no one to kick it to and thus the lads held up and look for an option that really isn't there.

Our game plan seems simple. It is a game of making ground. Kick the ball long, force a stoppage, get the clearance, kick long, force a stoppage. We have one key forward at home at all times to force the contest and bring the ball to ground. As well, because we are all pushed back there are times we can break long and run into an empty 50 which Bowes and Sexton did last night as well.

It seems to be the equivalent of Route 1 football in Soccer, long balls that bounce off the striker and just scrap a goal, not pretty, but as we saw last night, can be effective.

Also explains our low possession count, not a lot of cute handballs, just get the ball and boot it long to a tall forward.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Guy that hasn't really been mentioned a lot is Swallow. He added a lot of grit and steel in the middle. Managed to win the hardball and then got it out routinely. When he wasn't stuck in the forward line at least.
He seemed to spend a fair amount of time forward. Interesting to see if he will spend more time there this year.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Miles was pretty good in limited game time
A few times just hacked it on the boot without looking to the detriment of the team though.

thurls64

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Brodie isn't going to get a run long term it seems. He isn't in favour even when many thought he ran hard both ways against the Lions

Will probably go the same way as the others who questioned the coach and end up getting traded

Would be miraculous if he turns it around from here and plays every week, the odds are now heavily stacked against him

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Brodie isn't going to get a run long term it seems. He isn't in favour even when many thought he ran hard both ways against the Lions

Will probably go the same way as the others who questioned the coach and end up getting traded

Would be miraculous if he turns it around from here and plays every week, the odds are now heavily stacked against him

You obviously heard something ?

Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions

Is this from inside knowledge?

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Hope this isn't true. IMO he's been better than Bowes and Ainsworth when he's played

Old Sol

Senior List
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast

If it's going to take a miracle to get him on the same page as the rest of the squad/coaches then I wouldn't select him either. No more pandering to sooky players who think that theyre entitled to anything just because they have potential or talent.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Another waste of a Top Ten pick if true. What the hell were our recruiters doing during the personality profiling part of the player analysis reviews? I work with a lady who within 5 minutes can tell me who will last at work and who’s a sooky la la, and she has about a 95% strike rate.

thurls64

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You obviously heard something ?
Ben, yes its been a constant since last year and the optics of what we see are the result of what's going on internally for him

Brodie logically should be selected in most peoples view ahead of others but he consistently doesn't without external communication why and its an issue for him with the coaching staff

I didn't see him play against Brisbane but I am told he ran defensively well, is that true?

thurls64

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If it's going to take a miracle to get him on the same page as the rest of the squad/coaches then I wouldn't select him either. No more pandering to sooky players who think that theyre entitled to anything just because they have potential or talent.
Its more that he challenges and speaks up not that he sooks

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Ben, yes its been a constant since last year and the optics of what we see are the result of what's going on internally for him

Brodie logically should be selected in most peoples view ahead of others but he consistently doesn't without external communication why and its an issue for him with the coaching staff

I didn't see him play against Brisbane but I am told he ran defensively well, is that true?
Did you just kill my hope for better season this year?

Brodie did make best 22 in the second half of the season. Did not he play like 3-4 game in a row until hamstring injury? Dew also praised Brodie late last year 'he took it to another level'. Also Cameron mentioned after the season that Brodie can't wait for preseason to start how excited he was. I still want to believe he had a hiccup in preseason as his running after Lions practice was terrible but during the game he played 2 terms and looked good in contest. Not sure if he run both ways. I did not follow him enough.
If he is not happy that Miles, GHS, Fiorini, Bowes, Miller, Swallow were selected for JLT1 then prove you are better player on the field. Otherwise he is a sook.

If your source is reliable then Suns family got cracks. Next year it could be minus Brodie, Martin :(

May be we should just draft mature players who appreciate 2nd chance.

Last edited:

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Defensive running obviously massively important to Dew - Lyons is gone because of his deficiencies here right? Could be Brodie following tune - would be disappointing.

In general I don't understand the concept of players challenging the coaching staff.
If they are being told that they are not doing something well, then surely they need to take that on board, be constantly reviewing their progress on the issue with the coaches with the aim to get better.
You don't know better than someone who has been in the game for 20+ years
You are not going to get selected or become a better player by refuting coaches advice.
Obviously Brodie has shown he can get the ball. He needs to round out the other facets to the game.

Dew's sole aim is to get the team better - he has no vested interested in playing favourites if there is no on field merit to it.

thurls64

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
my leaning is not that he is right and Stewie is wrong just that there is a misalignment, clearly so far all the resets and cullings have created a far more competitive and cohesive unit which augurs well for a competitive unit all year so the clean out albeit brutal seems to be paying dividends already
I love Brodie as a footy player and like many on here was stunned he was not getting more games last year but I now know there is a problem for him getting picked and that's the opinion of the coach in the way he defends

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
my leaning is not that he is right and Stewie is wrong just that there is a misalignment, clearly so far all the resets and cullings have created a far more competitive and cohesive unit which augurs well for a competitive unit all year so the clean out albeit brutal seems to be paying dividends already
I love Brodie as a footy player and like many on here was stunned he was not getting more games last year but I now know there is a problem for him getting picked and that's the opinion of the coach in the way he defends

Seems to be a problem with the Shepparton boys. Mickey Barlow went down the same path last year

Back