Traded Will Setterfield [traded to Carlton with #71 for #43 & future 2nd round pick]

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
i think we would have.
Game time is my guess. Though with Myers turning 30, and not a lot of depth at essendon, i felt he'd have had a year or two to ease back from injury, and could have played when ready. Be it Rd1 2019, or a little later.

it is the ever so slightly bitter aftertaste of an otherwise sweet couple of years of trading where Shiel, Smith, Stringer and Saad came in.
I'd have been happy to offer our 2018 and 2019 1sts for Shiel and Setter with nothing in return.

I believe Poaching Health and Fitness guru from The Hawks (Andrew Russell) helped away Setterfield's decision. The kid has been very unlucky with injuries since being drafted, and just wants to play footy.

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
He might be the WHE for Carlton.

A high draft pick that has not lived up to Expectations and not had the best Injury Run.

Get Him Fit and he might get something close to what he showed why he was Rated to be Worth Pick 6

Not live up to expectations? Are you serious? He was without doubt- alongside Josh Kelly the best junior we have ever had come into the club, who did a good apprenticeship in the NEAFL (which we give all of our draftee's, we very rarely give them more than five games in their first year)- and then did his knee in the pre-season of his second year.

Absolutely ridiculous analogy. The only resemblance between the two is their christian name's. Honestly, get a grip mate.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
He might be the WHE for Carlton.

A high draft pick that has not lived up to Expectations and not had the best Injury Run.

Get Him Fit and he might get something close to what he showed why he was Rated to be Worth Pick 6
Both were injury related though.

Our fans certainly rated WHE on his 2014 and early 2015 form before chronic shoulder problems. Delighted he's over them.

Setterfield to date has had worse luck, but he's young and I expect he can turn it around.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Who would he have been competing with at Essendon for an inside midfield role?

He’s got more competition at Carlton with Cripps, Dow and Kennedy at Carlton as young inside mids.
not much in terms of competition. My thoughts are he is coming from 2 years off injured. We would have given him time to find touch.
Had he been ready to go Rd1, he's straight in ahead of Laverde or Guelfi in the side. Game conditioning would be the only qualifier.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Setter doesnt strike me as the fig jam/look at me type.
you guys certainly lost out on this one.

When we had pick 1 in this draft, i was keen on either of McGrath, Taranto or Setterfield
Honestly thought we'd land Setter if/when he decided to leave.
I'd have happily forgone the return pick and added a little extra to the Shiel deal if Setter had been on the table.

He has admitted he was slow to get into his rehab, spent a long time in Albury before getting back to Sydney.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
He has admitted he was slow to get into his rehab, spent a long time in Albury before getting back to Sydney.
Do you have a reference for this?

I'm curious. I did see him put in an untended cameo on Sam Reid's Monday video sitting in front if an XBOX with a large empty chocolate wrapper.i swear it's been edited and kt's not in the video in the website anymore.

The club said nothing, but I'm fine with them protecting the privacy if a young guy who may have been struggling with his second consecutive stint in rehab after his concussion.

He also dropped 6kgs in his ore-season with the Blues indicating he may not have arrived in the best shape.

At the end if the day if it took a change of clubs to re-invigorate him I'm fine with him going. Just hope he now becomes the player he was meant to be.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
We originally called his name out at the draft in 2016. You cheeky buggers matched the bid with the cheap matching points price the system had in place. Still do not think they fixed it. First 4 to 6 picks should be worth much more on Draft Value Index than they been showing since the systems inception. It should be harder for other clubs to match bids that early in the draft than it has been.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
We originally called his name out at the draft in 2016. You cheeky buggers matched the bid with the cheap matching points price the system had in place. Still do not think they fixed it. First 4 to 6 picks should be worth much more on Draft Value Index than they been showing since the systems inception. It should be harder for other clubs to match bids that early in the draft than it has been.
This

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Do you have a reference for this?

I'm curious. I did see him put in an untended cameo on Sam Reid's Monday video sitting in front if an XBOX with a large empty chocolate wrapper.i swear it's been edited and kt's not in the video in the website anymore.

The club said nothing, but I'm fine with them protecting the privacy if a young guy who may have been struggling with his second consecutive stint in rehab after his concussion.

He also dropped 6kgs in his ore-season with the Blues indicating he may not have arrived in the best shape.

At the end if the day if it took a change of clubs to re-invigorate him I'm fine with him going. Just hope he now becomes the player he was meant to be.

Nope. I don't thinks a big deal, plenty of players do the same. I never wrote anything about him being a figjam and agree that we isn't, not sure why that was replied, just said his rehab was slow.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Nope. I don't thinks a big deal, plenty of players do the same. I never wrote anything about him being a figjam and agree that we isn't, not sure why that was replied, just said his rehab was slow.
That's a really wierd response. I made no judgement, simply asked for information. If you dint think that's ok, that really is troubling.

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Fabulous debut for Carlton Last night, Just provides moxie and dash, and his kicking will only improve as time passes and his knee fully heals.

Starting to buy into the hype Giants fans were telling us about the lad, he is the real deal !

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Fabulous debut for Carlton Last night, Just provides moxie and dash, and his kicking will only improve as time passes and his knee fully heals.

Starting to buy into the hype Giants fans were telling us about the lad, he is the real deal !
Have to agree, thought he looked really good out there. Was a few times he seemed a bit uncertain, resulting in a fumble or running past it, but that just comes down to lack of experience. He'll come good, I think you guys got a great deal with him

Blues finally have something to be excited about. If luck falls their way, Cripps, Walsh, Setterfield, SPS and Dow could become an awesome nucleus. If Stoker is half as good as you guys obviously rate him, you can add him to the list too.

I can't talk totally positively about Carlton, so I have to add - jeez Macgovern looks like a stupidly overpriced purchase.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
I believe Poaching Health and Fitness guru from The Hawks (Andrew Russell) helped away Setterfield's decision. The kid has been very unlucky with injuries since being drafted, and just wants to play footy.

You reckon ??

The announcement that Russell was joining the Blues was made on Oct 8 which was the same day Setterfield nominated the Blues as his preferred destination.

I highly doubt the club would of let it slip that they were in negotiations with Russell prior to that announcement as his appointment was really important & no doubt kept highly confidential. Loose lips and all that.

And if they had bragged to Setterfield about getting Russell and that was the actual reason he wanted to move yet Russell ended up not signing up with Carlton then they would have had a very disappointed & disillusioned player on their hands. Better still, he may have rescinded his nomination of Carlton and looked elsewhere.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Loved his game. 24 touches while only playing about 2/3 of game time was extremely impressive and seems to do the defensive stuff in the stoppages extremely well.
Kicking wasn’t great and a few things to iron out but one of the most exciting players we have had at the club in a long time

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
You reckon ??

The announcement that Russell was joining the Blues was made on Oct 8 which was the same day Setterfield nominated the Blues as his preferred destination.

I highly doubt the club would of let it slip that they were in negotiations with Russell prior to that announcement as his appointment was really important & no doubt kept highly confidential. Loose lips and all that.

And if they had bragged to Setterfield about getting Russell and that was the actual reason he wanted to move yet Russell ended up not signing up with Carlton then they would have had a very disappointed & disillusioned player on their hands. Better still, he may have rescinded his nomination of Carlton and looked elsewhere.
What you say is logical.

I think it was more he'd had a terrible time with us, sadly, with two long stints in rehab. Not unreasonable to want a change in that case.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
Blues finally have something to be excited about. If luck falls their way, Cripps, Walsh, Setterfield, SPS and Dow could become an awesome nucleus. If Stoker is half as good as you guys obviously rate him, you can add him to the list too.

I can't talk totally positively about Carlton, so I have to add - jeez Macgovern looks like a stupidly overpriced purchase.

Carlton gave up a second rounder (leftover from Gibbs) and downgraded another to a third rounder. Both of those picks would’ve wound up in the 30’s in the live draft. Oh and they gave up rights to a state player. That’s it.

Even if McGovern is a fizzer, I think at that price a guy with his talent was well worth a shot at. But he did fracture a vertebrae his spine over the preseason and missed a bunch of sessions, so don’t jump too early.

Carlton gave up a second rounder (leftover from Gibbs) and downgraded another to a third rounder. Both of those picks would’ve wound up in the 30’s in the live draft. Oh and they gave up rights to a state player. That’s it.

Even if McGovern is a fizzer, I think at that price a guy with his talent was well worth a shot at. But he did fracture a vertebrae his spine over the preseason and missed a bunch of sessions, so don’t jump too early.
I was talking salary, but you're right that's not much of consideration for the Blues at the moment.

I just don't rate him. I don't think he has enough tricks as a forward, unless he can become a gut runner who continually hits up at the footy, but there's no signs of him having an inclination in that direction.

If he can read the game, he's got the potential to be a very good zoning intercept defender, but you've got to wonder why he has not been tried in that role, when it's the role his skillset seems most suited to.

Dec 7, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
I was talking salary, but you're right that's not much of consideration for the Blues at the moment.

I just don't rate him. I don't think he has enough tricks as a forward, unless he can become a gut runner who continually hits up at the footy, but there's no signs of him having an inclination in that direction.

If he can read the game, he's got the potential to be a very good zoning intercept defender, but you've got to wonder why he has not been tried in that role, when it's the role his skillset seems most suited to.
Im not big on Gov either but he took a paycut to come to a bottom club who was best 22 in a top 8 club.

Take what you can get.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
I was under the impression that he came across on big money. If he's not on much then he's a fair enough recruit.

I thought he‘s on much the same coin as he was as at the Crows, which is a lot less than he what he was offered by Freo at his last contract. Who knows how he turns out but the lad reads the flight well, can mark and kick. He’s been talked about as a swingman at Carlton, so if he does wind up performing better in defence he may be swinging forward not back. At 24yo and not costing too much, well worth a swing I reckon.

Back