Streaming questions

Remove this Banner Ad

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hi guys
I have recently moved interstate and I am worried about the lack of Collingwood games I will be able to see on free to air

I don’t want Foxtel so thinking what other streaming options would be available to me.

And I want to be able to chromecast to my tv and not just watch on my phone! My phone is not with Telstra so I don’t get the free afl app.

So my questions are
Does the afl app allow chromecast (if so 100 bucks for the season sounds reasonable).
Are there any other reasonably priced apps that do chromecast. I have heard Kayo is one suggestion.

Thanks all!

Hi guys
I have recently moved interstate and I am worried about the lack of Collingwood games I will be able to see on free to air

I don’t want Foxtel so thinking what other streaming options would be available to me.

And I want to be able to chromecast to my tv and not just watch on my phone! My phone is not with Telstra so I don’t get the free afl app.

So my questions are
Does the afl app allow chromecast (if so 100 bucks for the season sound so reasonable). Naturally I want to watch on my tv not my phone!
Are there any other reasonably priced apps that do chromecast. I have heard Kayo is one suggestion.

Thanks all!
Ive got the AFL App on my Telstra TV but it doesnt show the games live,but you can watch the replays,interviews,highlights going back to 2010
AFL App on my phone does show live plus stats

Best bet would be Kayo, share it with a friend and its about $12 a month

Last edited:
Hi guys

So my questions are
Does the afl app allow chromecast (if so 100 bucks for the season sounds reasonable).

Thanks all!
The AFL app live games thing is best value if you want football.

$100 a year (free if it’s a Telstra mobile, iPad) is good.
Cheaper than Foxtel and you get all sorts of things.
If watching on their stream I think you can only watch on reduced screen size as something to do with laws and definitions of what’s coverage for tv etc.

Have all sorts of replays etc so it’s pretty good.

Such is life interstate! I'm glad I don't follow a team like Freo or Port, or I'd almost NEVER see my team on F2A up here in Brisbane.

I'm probably going to hold off this year just for financial reasons, but from what I've seen so far, Kayo is the best for good quality streaming of the AFL on to your telly. Plus all the other sports they show, if any of them take your fancy. There's a 2 week free trial that would be a good way to see how it runs on your set up.

There's an extensive and ongoing Kayo thread on the main board, but it's pretty bloated so it may be painful to trawl through.

I have Foxtel but I also have a Kodi Box.

They cost about $100.00 and I am pretty sure they have an AFL app on it. ;)

I do have a spare iPad, maybe that will have to do if the afl app is cheaper than Kayo.

But I really would rather be able to pitch it to a tv!

Decisions decisions
If you do get it on TV the screen size is not going to get bigger than 7 inch
Ipad is as good as it gets

I do have a spare iPad, maybe that will have to do if the afl app is cheaper than Kayo.

But I really would rather be able to pitch it to a tv!

Decisions decisions
I’m not a star on moving iPad watching to tv.
There’s usually a connecting button but the tv needs to have a setting or device to do so.

Caveat: my mate does those things for me so I just tap the button and it’s good to go.

Re the AFL app, I don’t know if it can move to tv all the same? I’ve not tried. As well nice I’m using the ipad I tend to just use it, kind of like it as use it a lot.

But there will be experts on here with that stuff.

Note: the afl app blocks outside of Australia and NZ.

The seven inch thing is something to do with licensing of how they sell the rights.

Funnily enough I got the full iPad screen yesterday as had Foxtel coverage not sure how but it did.

I used to watch the via Kodi using my Telstra login details.

This year I will be using Kayo. It's so much better than the quality you get through Kodi.

I'm using Kayo via my android tv box (Shield TV) and it is flawless. I have also used it on my miBox (also android tv) and it works fine on that too. A vodafonetv box is an option, but you have to sideload the app on that one.

You can chromecast from your phone, however you need the Chomecast Ultra or Chromecast 3 (from memory) for it to work well.

It's also available on Apple TV 4 and Telstra TV boxes. Works fine on the the apple, but TTV has issues at this stage.

Can also watch in browser or on your phone.

The AFL app does not allow chromecast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's Kodi? I've heard of it before but never seen what it is.

It allows you to stream pretty much everything...…...sports...….movies......tv series etc

It allows you to stream pretty much everything...…...sports...….movies......tv series etc
Is it a TV application?

Is it a TV application?

Kodi
Media player
Description
Kodi is a free and open-source media player software application developed by the XBMC Foundation, a non-profit technology consortium. Kodi is available for multiple operating systems and hardware platforms, with a software 10-foot user interface for use with televisions and remote controls. Wikipedia

Kayo will chrome cast to full screen. There is a trial of you want to test it out.
Just note that it's only currently supported on Chromecast Ultra and the 3rd Gen Chromecasts, not the regular CHromecast like a lot of people have.

For this reason I believe direct casting to a TV's inbuilt chromecast is a no go.

Just note that it's only currently supported on Chromecast Ultra and the 3rd Gen Chromecasts, not the regular CHromecast like a lot of people have.

For this reason I believe direct casting to a TV's inbuilt chromecast is a no go.

Like I said I bought a brand new tv so maybe the built in chrome cast is up to the task? Not sure how to check.

I guess I can go for the free trial. If that doesn’t work it’s afl app and iPad for me.

Like I said I bought a brand new tv so maybe the built in chrome cast is up to the task? Not sure how to check.

I guess I can go for the free trial. If that doesn’t work it’s afl app and iPad for me.
Probably best just to try it out.

TV manufacturers 100% should be putting Chromecast Ultra's into 4k HDR TVs.

Just bear in mind with the afl app, when using an iPad you won’t get full screen and it will be approx 1/3 - they deliberately restrict the screen size so as not to provide a better (ie cheaper) service than Foxtel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back