Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
These comparison threads are always a dick measuring contest, anyone who said either was comfortably ahead or will be comfortably better is either a moron or a troll.
For starters arguments like score involvements or carrying midfields are dog s**t, Oliver plays in a better side yep so his clearance work should look more effective and allow him to indulge in more pretty stuff, but that also means that he is fighting Jones/Brayshaw/Viney etc for the tap. Cripps plays in a shitter team yep, which means that he stands out like a mother*er and has no help at all, probably makes him look more blue collar at times, but he also isnt fighting any teammates for a tap so he will always get the ball for his team. All of that is irrelevant as are stats, you can only go on your eye often.
Ill try an post my thoughts here without as much bias as possible.

Both players have the most incredible hands ive ever witnessed in tight since ive been watching footy, its not even that they can get it and find a man, its that they have this incredible vision to find players on the outside of a contest that are in space and it moves the ball along.
Some players can get it and fire off a handball to the first matching jumper they see, these 2 have the vision of Sam Mitchell but with congestion right around them.
I cant place either higher, Oliver is hands down the best at it ive ever seen at melbourne, and every time I watch Carlton play I cant help but sit in awe of Cripps ability to do the same
Ive seen Oliver gather the ball like a lizard and then fire out a 25m handball on his left hand to a player to run into a goal in the space of seconds. Cripps can do it aswell.

Cripps is more imposing physically, even with 5 blokes tackling him he can still stand up in the tackle and dish off a handball. He just bullies contests. If you put the ball at the feet of these 2 Cripps wins most times due to his sheer size.
Oliver I think has slightly better hand speed and movement, so if that tap bounced a couple metres away his better legspeed allows him to scoop it up and clear it.
Cripps edges him on clearance winning ability
Oliver I would say is a better kick of the footy, he actually weights his passes beautifully and has the potential to be one of our better kicks, I think he will transition into a more balanced player than just an inside monster
Cripps I would say has more potential to go forward and kick goals, although I think Oliver could do this I think you cant ignore Cripps contested marking ability and his size, hes the size of alot of CHFs.
I think if you were building your ideal midfield play, Cripps would recieve the tapp and give the handball to Oliver to create from there. Not to say that they cant swap but I think thats where they edge each other, Cripps with his ability to win the first touch and Oliver with his ability to do something with that space that Cripps would clear for him

Dont think its fair to comment on 'ceilings'
Plenty of players havent got near their ceilings whilst others have exploded from nothing.

I think its fair to say as of today, Cripps is slightly ahead probably but what 2 unbelievable players

Hannabal

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2010
High on a hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Franger Banger
No comparison, Cripps will always be better
You don't even realize how silly this post is.

They're very different players. Cripps will always be a far better forward, but he won't be a better midfielder. I'm convinced people don't see what Oliver does and get fixated by Cripps size. It's because of Cripps' size I question whether he can do some of the things Oliver can do to the same high level - in the midfield.

At least wait until the year starts before you're talking absolutes.

Shooter#17

Team Captain
May 9, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees, KC Chiefs
Just by how Cripps carved up Aflx as a forward last night, is there much chance of him spending more time i50 now that the blues have some more midfield depth.?
Would be dangerous isolated 1 out deep in attack.

BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat

They're very different players. Cripps will always be a far better forward, but he won't be a better midfielder. I'm convinced people don't see what Oliver does and get fixated by Cripps size. It's because of Cripps' size I question whether he can do some of the things Oliver can do to the same high level - in the midfield.

Just quietly, I'm not sure that you realise how silly this post is either.

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....

So sorry princess that i didn't put a IMO in my statement, and yes i do think he is and will be a better mid then floppy Oliver

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

You make yourself look silly trying to change every single persons mind.
Why don't you ask him why he thinks that insyead of telling him he's wrong

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
You make yourself look silly trying to change every single persons mind.
Why don't you ask him why he thinks that insyead of telling him he's wrong

Because he doesn't care, all he wants to do is argue and (in his mind) make people look silly and stupid. Engaging in an actual decent discussion doesn't even enter into his mind.

dzussy

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Oliver is a gun, hand skills and reflexes as quick as I have ever seen on a player. Will win a Brownose Medal one day.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I think it’s a bit disrespectful to Tom Mitchell, who had an outstanding season. Preferable to just say he’d poll more in a better team, which is kinda like saying water is wet anyway.

I don't know why people care about the brownlow.. Brayshaw finished 3rd but you won't find a fan from any team who thinks he had the 3rd best year

I don't know why people care about the brownlow.. Brayshaw finished 3rd but you won't find a fan from any team who thinks he had the 3rd best year
Exactly, Brayshaw finished higher than Oliver, but you won’t find a Melbourne supporter who thinks Brayshaw is better than Oliver.

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
Cripps' lead is actually increasing!
Oliver will have the better career.

He's still just 21 (two and a half years younger) and had operations on both shoulders over the off-season.

He's just faster and more dynamic than Cripps with better disposal.

To put Oliver's career into perspective. He's younger than Matthew Kennedy and just 6 months older than Setterfield.

Anyway, we won't be changing each other's minds.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

He's still just 21 (two and a half years younger) and had operations on both shoulders over the off-season.

To put Oliver's career into perspective. He's younger than Matthew Kennedy and just 6 months older than Setterfield.

We won't be changing each other's minds, but it seems that those of Bigfooty are still changing in Cripps' favour. Pretty crazy given he was already preferred by the vast majority.

(I'm referring to the poll results, in which Cripps has jumped from 70% last time I checked during the offesason, to 72%)

Dec 7, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers

They stats say Cripps' game is more dynamic, more rounded and has cleaner disposal this year.

This post would've been correct one or two seasons ago though.

Back