Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a fair call, LeCras retiring means we won't have anyone to kick our goals just like Mitchell and Priddis' retirements kept us from winning any ball last year. Any results that suggest that that wasn't the case are clearly anomalies (possibly caused by dark energy, we aren't certain what that does) that can be ignored for failing to fit into the flawless logical framework I've just outlined, which was first identified by scienticians in Melbourne.
As a man of science I give you a like for the dark energy reference.

Consider, it's Channel 7 and Newscorp that platform most of these opinions.

From politics to science these media orgs provide a level of news coverage and analysis that is dare I say, an embarrassment to the human species. There is no reason why their sports coverage should be any different.

I couldn't put anything from Robbo in the Insightful thread, so I'm putting this here.

Here's his take on us for this year.

WEST COAST
WHAT I LIKE

The coach and the players have the respect of the competition. Not just because they won the flag, but how they achieved it. Injuries beset them, and they were under the pump in several finals, yet they still won. Coach Adam Simpson instilled character and camaraderie in his team and his players ran with it.

It really was a premiership of valour under a coach who, from afar, seemingly has terrific people skills to get the best out of the individual and the team and, clearly, football nous. Now they will have Andrew Gaff for the whole season, Brad Sheppard, who was injured in the finals, and Nic Naitanui back by Round 10.

Do I have to mention the most potent forward group in the comp? OK, Josh Kennedy, Jack Darling, Liam Ryan, Willie Rioli, Jamie Cripps and take your pick. If the mentality is strong, they will be there in late September.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

Will be curious how the Eagles start the season because of personnel missing pre-season, combined with a late start and extended holidays. Might be picky, but they could be vulnerable early.

It’s difficult to be critical of a team which displayed enormous heart and team values and played terrific football on their way to winning the premiership. Always, though, the desire and commitment coming off a flag season is arguably the greatest concern for a team. Clearly, Scott Lycett leaving could pose a problem if Nathan Vardy and Tom Hickey are so-so, but there are ample replacements for Mark Le Cras.

VERDICT

Will defend flag strongly

Consider, it's Channel 7 and Newscorp that platform most of these opinions.

From politics to science these media orgs provide a level of news coverage and analysis that is dare I say, an embarrassment to the human species. There is no reason why their sports coverage should be any different.
Only two things happen in the news - crisis and scandal
I was shocked to hear G Healy say the the impact of the new rules will not be dramatic and will be marginal at best - get rid of him - this is the dawn of a new age

I couldn't put anything from Robbo in the Insightful thread, so I'm putting this here.

Here's his take on us for this year.

WEST COAST
WHAT I LIKE

The coach and the players have the respect of the competition. Not just because they won the flag, but how they achieved it. Injuries beset them, and they were under the pump in several finals, yet they still won. Coach Adam Simpson instilled character and camaraderie in his team and his players ran with it.

It really was a premiership of valour under a coach who, from afar, seemingly has terrific people skills to get the best out of the individual and the team and, clearly, football nous. Now they will have Andrew Gaff for the whole season, Brad Sheppard, who was injured in the finals, and Nic Naitanui back by Round 10.

Do I have to mention the most potent forward group in the comp? OK, Josh Kennedy, Jack Darling, Liam Ryan, Willie Rioli, Jamie Cripps and take your pick. If the mentality is strong, they will be there in late September.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE

Will be curious how the Eagles start the season because of personnel missing pre-season, combined with a late start and extended holidays. Might be picky, but they could be vulnerable early.

It’s difficult to be critical of a team which displayed enormous heart and team values and played terrific football on their way to winning the premiership. Always, though, the desire and commitment coming off a flag season is arguably the greatest concern for a team. Clearly, Scott Lycett leaving could pose a problem if Nathan Vardy and Tom Hickey are so-so, but there are ample replacements for Mark Le Cras.

VERDICT

Will defend flag strongly

I'm assuming it was ghost written by an intern after Robbo passed out or left for the races.

Watching the Tigers and Demons JLT game and Dermie said something like "West Coast came good at the right time but Richmond were the best team in 2018".

Wonder what we were doing over that 10 game winning streak?

I suppose we backed off mid season with a few injuries, then got them back arounf August and came good for when it mattered.

Love the Vic media underestimating us again. And at the same time blowing hot air up Melbourne's arse. Yep that team that shar the bed in rhe prelim.:thumbsu:

I suppose we backed off mid season with a few injuries, then got them back arounf August and came good for when it mattered.

Love the Vic media underestimating us again. And at the same time blowing hot air up Melbourne's arse. Yep that team that shar the bed in rhe prelim.:thumbsu:

Clearly we didn't beat anyone decent, I mean we hardly beat anyone above us in that 10 game streak ;)

Also, let's see how Melbourne go with being pumped up. Seemed to work really well for them last year around prelim final time....

In fairness, Richmond finished two games clear on top of the ladder, so if you measure 'best team of 2018' merely by the ladder after each side has played 22 games, then it's the correct call. Thankfully for us the trophy isn't won at the end of the 22 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In fairness, Richmond finished two games clear on top of the ladder, so if you measure 'best team of 2018' merely by the ladder after each side has played 22 games, then it's the correct call. Thankfully for us the trophy isn't won at the end of the 22 games.
I maintain that Richmond were not the best team of the 2018 H&A season. 17-0 in Melbn, 1-4 interstate.

We went 9-3 in Perth, 7-3 interstate.

Who's yer daddy?

Only two things happen in the news - crisis and scandal
I was shocked to hear G Healy say the the impact of the new rules will not be dramatic and will be marginal at best - get rid of him - this is the dawn of a new age
It's a good opinion from Healey and a measured write up from Robbo.

I think scoring will improve in the short term. But caution over turnovers, will force teams to be more careful taking shots on goal. Gonna be a lot of f50/d50 turnovers from missed passes and excess handballing resulting in stoppages. Likewise, teams are going to get better using their wingers defensively and getting players in more quickly after the bounce.

Long term and by finals, there's going to be huge griping over scoring returning to normal and defensive flooding.

It's also pretty hard to say who is the best team when the draw is so uneven in terms of what teams are played twice and some teams favoured with rarely having to travel/leave their home ground. Some years it is obvious which team plays the better brand of footy and I have no real issue with Richmond being rated last year but their away record was dismal and ultimately, a team finishing second on the ladder, that beat the minor premiers in their only meet, plus won the GF away from home despite being the higher rated team, has a pretty strong case for being considered the best team last year.

Noticed Magpies tough draw to start the season being mentioned during the footy v Freo but all I could look at was Collingwood don’t have to travel , yep 1st 4 games at the MCG ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
They have almost the easiest draw year in year out no matter what.

They have almost the easiest draw year in year out no matter what.

Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon by their very nature always have the easiest draw if you measure it in terms of travel.

Can't remember the last time they played in Geelong, the Northern Territory or Tasmania.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back