Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
So Gus gained something like 1050 metres vs Richmond which has only happened a few times in the past five years apparently. And that’s at 70 % game time or so, and without Max’s armchair ride in the ruck.

I was critical of his disposal but that’s still an impressive feat. If he fixes his kicking he’ll be absolutely elite.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
So Gus gained something like 1050 metres vs Richmond which has only happened a few times in the past five years apparently. And that’s at 70 % game time or so, and without Max’s armchair ride in the ruck.

I was critical of his disposal but that’s still an impressive feat. If he fixes his kicking he’ll be absolutely elite.

Thats the most frustrating thing, he'll be a top 10 mid in the comp if he stops the horrible kicking errors.

Jesus Christ that's phenomenal. Even with the clangers he's going to be an absolute Supercoach stud this year - which means SFA, but unfortunately is one of the ways players get broader recognition. If he cut down on the turnovers yeah could be AA very soon. Just needs to stop throwing the ball on his foot.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Thats the most frustrating thing, he'll be a top 10 mid in the comp if he stops the horrible kicking errors.
He’s totally on the way.

The irritating part is that he doesn’t need to do it. I swear 4/5 of the times he throws it down and launches with his non-preferred he doesn’t actually need to because he does have enough time.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
You have watched Dangerfield kick haven’t you?

I absolutely agree that he’ll be a constant source of frustration for us if he doesn’t improve his kicking, but I almost guarantee that the media folk who declare someone elite, will 100% look at everything on his stats sheet, except for DE%

Case in point, Terry Wallace declared him the best performed player of the the weekend

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
You have watched Dangerfield kick haven’t you?

I absolutely agree that he’ll be a constant source of frustration for us if he doesn’t improve his kicking, but I almost guarantee that the media folk who declare someone elite, will 100% look at everything on his stats sheet, except for DE%

Case in point, Terry Wallace declared him the best performed player of the the weekend

Danger has qualities Gus will never have, if he is to go from a top 30 mid to a top 10 though his kicking clangers need to stop.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yeah don't give a stuff about the metres gained stat, Brayshaw just throws it on the boot as long as he can most of the time. If every one of our players did that we wouldn't come anywhere near the top 4.
Defenders will see him with the ball and start sagging off their man looking for the intercept, hardly ever see him hitting up a leading target.

I wanna see Brayshaw when he's hugging the boundary look in board a bit more instead of pumping it 50m down the line. Our midfield is already a little blue collar at times need him to change it up a bit.

ABray10

All Australian
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Only caught the 1st quarter on the weekend, but agree with most of the above. This guy can really dominate, all he needs to do is steady a bit more with ball in hand and look for a target. So often he is in loads of space but looks like he is just throwing it on the boot like he is under pressure.

Infuriating because he makes everything INCLUDING kicking look so easy, but is really letting the team down with his careless approach to disposal. Curious as to what the coaching plan is because there's no way they haven't highlighted it as a huge issue for the team going forward, particularly if he starts notching up 35+ disposals on a regular basis. Ironic because Petracca looks like a bit of a plodder at times and like things aren't very easy but he so rarely wastes a disposal, and is so good at finding space and thinking through his delivery.

GoGeta

Team Captain
Mar 4, 2013
Vic
AFL Club
Geelong
Man, I wanted to pick him in Supercoach but after reading all of that......i'll just put him in my Dreamteam instead lol.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah don't give a stuff about the metres gained stat, Brayshaw just throws it on the boot as long as he can most of the time. If every one of our players did that we wouldn't come anywhere near the top 4.
Defenders will see him with the ball and start sagging off their man looking for the intercept, hardly ever see him hitting up a leading target.

I wanna see Brayshaw when he's hugging the boundary look in board a bit more instead of pumping it 50m down the line. Our midfield is already a little blue collar at times need him to change it up a bit.
It's another thing borrowed from another code. Metres gained is great in rugby union/league as it's a run and carry. It means nothing in AFL.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
It's another thing borrowed from another code. Metres gained is great in rugby union/league as it's a run and carry. It means nothing in AFL.

Yeah if you hit a lead up target dead in front 30m away it's better than hitting a contest jammed in the pocket 55m away.

It needs to be more specific like how often does your team score from those +50m carry an kicks or the resulting stoppage.

Yeah if you hit a lead up target dead in front 30m away it's better than hitting a contest jammed in the pocket 55m away.

It needs to be more specific like how often does your team score from those +50m carry an kicks or the resulting stoppage.

Even a slight adjustment like 'metres gained to advantage' would improve the usefulness of the stat.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
got a good feeling he is going to be AA this year. In the squad at minimum

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Wouldn’t surprise me at all. Even with some decent midfield competition. But there’s an element of media profile bias in AA selection and since coming third in the Brownlow will get him a heap more attention. Plus the returning from concussion success story. Actually two Brayshaws managed to increase their public profile last year, albeit Andrew managed this by getting punched and having his teeth redesigned

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Wouldn’t surprise me at all. Even with some decent midfield competition. But there’s an element of media profile bias in AA selection and since coming third in the Brownlow will get him a heap more attention. Plus the returning from concussion success story. Actually two Brayshaws managed to increase their public profile last year, albeit Andrew managed this by getting punched and having his teeth redesigned
An element? You could argue 2/3's of the team is selected based on it.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Okay then a substantial element.

The remaining 1/3 is done by KB
Correct

a5024edb4d1028b7274bf1e3859c28af

GoGeta

Team Captain
Mar 4, 2013
Vic
AFL Club
Geelong
How do you guys manage Brayshaw's mid time with Viney and Oliver doing the bulk of the inside work?
Will Brayshaw again play off the wing if Viney is fit because I think you need to get Angus in there as much as possible. Maybe give Ollie a few more spells forward during games to protect his longevity shoulders wise.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
How do you guys manage Brayshaw's mid time with Viney and Oliver doing the bulk of the inside work?
Will Brayshaw again play off the wing if Viney is fit because I think you need to get Angus in there as much as possible. Maybe give Ollie a few more spells forward during games to protect his longevity shoulders wise.

Oliver probably swaps with Petracca, Oliver 80/20 mid/fwd and Petracca the opposite.

You need three inside mids at all times. Oliver will spend some time forward, Brayshaw a bit on the wing and Viney possibly playing as a pressure forward. All three will start inside and stay there the majority of the game.

GoGeta

Team Captain
Mar 4, 2013
Vic
AFL Club
Geelong
You need three inside mids at all times. Oliver will spend some time forward, Brayshaw a bit on the wing and Viney possibly playing as a pressure forward. All three will start inside and stay there the majority of the game.

Where does this leave Harmes once fit? in your opinion does the 6 6 6 rule mean teams are less likely to start a genuine tagger at centre bounces?

Back