Draft Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

Disposals, DE% and games played aren't particularly good metrics to measure a key defender by.

Intercept marks, content winning percentage, pressure acts, spoils, contest winning percentage would all be better measures.

Otherwise the key defender who plays on the wing or back flank would look really good.

There are always two ways of looking at these sorts of things;

1. Who would one identify as being the best players of the draft?
2. Who would one want for their own club given the opportunity?

Sometimes the results may be the same and sometimes the question may be clouded with the latter thought. ...i.e. Oliver has had the better output and is more influential right now, but given the depth of mids the CFC have assembled, I wouldn't trade CCurnow for him.

In regards to Weitering; No problem people dismissing him on exposed output to date.
All the noise though, is that things have clicked and if they have, we'll see a different player going forward.

Still can't get it right can you

"Weitering's output in the first 3 years of his career, is in the top 3 compared to all other KPD's in the last 10 years, compared to their first 3 years"

Some insight for you Trav, J McGovern, Rance and Talia are not in that top 3, yet some very good players are
Lever was in the AA squad in his 3rd year. So that is 1

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
Lever was in the AA squad in his 3rd year. So that is 1

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Yep. Lever more disposals, better rating points, same marks and same tackles.

But in fairness he played alongside an AA like Talia and was able to play a less accountable role.

I should add that the above stats are from their first 3 years where they played the exact same amount of games - 56.

Last edited:

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
You want me to spend my time collating data in a detailed form to disprove my statement?

Surely that can be left to you and others if you suspect it is incorrect

Before you worry about your statement being disproved, worry about proving your statement.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Yep. Lever more disposals, better rating points, same marks and same tackles.

But in fairness he played alongside an AA like Talia and was able to play a less accountable role.

I should add that the above stats are from their first 3 years where they played the exact same amount of games - 56.

Glad you are getting on board Trav!!

Or not tbh. Keep it on track. Quit with the personal remarks about each other's posting.

Either respond to the topic of the thread or don't respond at all.

Back up your draft redo with some sort of reasoning and evidence. It's not hard.

And if you see a troll, for the love of all things holy please don't spend five pages quoting them. Do you really think I want to scroll through and delete five pages worth of posts? You make more mess than the troll did!

You've been warned multiple times. No more warnings. Thread bans start now.

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Output, just output, stats, realism

Nothing to do with awards based on people's opinions

I don’t think anyone anywhere would say Weitering was better than Lever in his 3rd year. That being said I don’t mind Weitering, if he was picked somewhere in the teens we would be saying it looks like a nice pick.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
So you picked two of the greats in Neitz and Buddy as a comparison to Weitering? Staggering

How about a comparison with other 4th year KPD's in the last 10 years, where Weitering's output is top 3 compared to his cohorts, playing in a bottom 4 side

Yes his 2018 was less effective, compounded by shoulder and thigh injuries not to mention development is not always linear, yet his second half of the season was solid

If you are making comparisons, use some realism
You must be thinking of Harris Andrews who's only a year older. Head and shoulders, and then some above Weitering.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
This is my prediction for this draft class rankings after this season and beyond

1 - Clayton Oliver
2 - Charlie Curnow
3 - Harry McKay
4 - Eric Hipwood
5 - Callum Mills
6 - Aaron Francis
7 - Sam Weideman
8 - Josh Dunkley
9 - Jade Gresham
10 - Jacob Weitering

11 - Daniel Rioli
12 - Tom Phillips
13 - Ryan Burton
14 - Tom Doedee
15 - Wayne Milera
16 - Jacob Hopper
17 - David Cuningham
18 - Darcy Parish
19 - Harrison Himmelberg
20 - Ben Keays
Ben Keays is a genuine chance to be de-listed after this year.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Stop acting entitled. It’s simply not reasonable to ask someone to spend time collating all the stats from the first 3 seasons of every KPD drafted in the last 10 years, to post here for your convenience, when the information is freely available in the public domain.

https://www.footywire.com

Drafts, stats, comparisons, it’s all there.
When you’re asking someone to back up their claim with cold hard facts, of course it’s perfectly reasonable.

Back