Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Jan 31, 2012
patterson lakes
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I stayed in the historic North End. When I booked I saw TD Garden was close enough, but didn't actually realise until I got there just how close it was. Probably took us 5-10 minutes at most to walk there. We stayed in an AirBNB and from memory it would have been around 150-160 dollars. I don't think you're likely to find anything of decent size for that price. But if you can handle a bit less room it really isn't that bad. Particularly if you're going in March, it will probably heat up a bit by then so you don't have to stay in your place as much. Where I stayed was right near a part of the Freedom Trail too.

The North End also had a lot of good Italian restaurants, a few bars and was a close enough walk to some seafood restaurants including the well known Union Oyster House.

Can PM you the place if you want.

Mate that’d be fantastic if you could

Morning_Fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I stayed in the historic North End. When I booked I saw TD Garden was close enough, but didn't actually realise until I got there just how close it was. Probably took us 5-10 minutes at most to walk there. We stayed in an AirBNB and from memory it would have been around 150-160 dollars. I don't think you're likely to find anything of decent size for that price. But if you can handle a bit less room it really isn't that bad. Particularly if you're going in March, it will probably heat up a bit by then so you don't have to stay in your place as much. Where I stayed was right near a part of the Freedom Trail too.

The North End also had a lot of good Italian restaurants, a few bars and was a close enough walk to some seafood restaurants including the well known Union Oyster House.

Can PM you the place if you want.

Don’t count on it. We went in mid April and it was still freezing. Had nothing over 10 degrees Celsius

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Don’t count on it. We went in mid April and it was still freezing. Had nothing over 10 degrees Celsius
That sort of temperature was fine when I was over there.

It’s when the temperature starts getting well into the negatives it is unbearable. Admittedly I’m no expert so the weather could still be at that sort of level?

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Grand Canyon - West Rim V South Rim - with kids, is it worth just hitting the west?
Do not go to the west. The west as a tourist spot wouldnt even exist if it wasnt for its close location to vegas. Go to south rim, spend a night or two. See all the spots. One of the best natural wonders on the planet.

Ps. There are lots of things to see in northern arizona and southern utah if you are into hiking/camping/kayaking/boating/bike riding. Some of the best scenary in the world. Grand canyon is only one part of it.

Last edited:
May 22, 2016
Perf
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
WV Mountaineers Texas Rangers
2 year old is perfect for hiking as there are hiking carriers that go on your back. Can go on reasonablly decent hikes with a 2 year old. The 5 year old will be the problem.

thanks mate - think we might just check out some of the easily accessible spots, the 2yo is a massive PITA who will not sit still for 5 minutes, so no chance on my back, and yeah will avoid the western rim

Aug 2, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Packers, Bulls, Ducks, Angels

Ps. There are lots of things to see in northern arizona and southern utah if you are into hiking/camping/kayaking/boating/bike riding. Some of the best scenary in the world. Grand canyon is only one part of it.

Yep. I left Vegas last Saturday and went to Valley of Fire, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Dead Horse, Monument Valley and Canyon de Chelly. Amazing, especially at this time of year with the snow. Before then I'd also been to Death Valley, Petrified Forest and the Great Sand Dunes in Colorado which for some reason I especially loved. Plus I-70 through the Rockies is one of the more scenic drives youll ever take.

On the not so great side I got a way too close view of a car getting smashed by a falling rock on US-6 in Utah. By 'way too close' I mean if it didnt hit them it probably wouldve hit me (a piece of rock that broke off almost did). I've actually got dashcam footage of it that I'll upload when I get home.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Yep. I left Vegas last Saturday and went to Valley of Fire, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Dead Horse, Monument Valley and Canyon de Chelly. Amazing, especially at this time of year with the snow. Before then I'd also been to Death Valley, Petrified Forest and the Great Sand Dunes in Colorado which for some reason I especially loved. Plus I-70 through the Rockies is one of the more scenic drives youll ever take.

On the not so great side I got a way too close view of a car getting smashed by a falling rock on US-6 in Utah. By 'way too close' I mean if it didnt hit them it probably wouldve hit me (a piece of rock that broke off almost did). I've actually got dashcam footage of it that I'll upload when I get home.
Seeing these places with snow would be pretty cool. Love bryce canyon. Havent been to colorado or death valley yet. Need to plan another trip.

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Bryce is insane in the cooler weather. Did you have your crampons for the treks there?
Never done Zion in the snow. How was angels landing?

Aug 2, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Packers, Bulls, Ducks, Angels
Bryce was cool but a little disappointing as most of it was closed off due to the snow. Only 3 viewpoints were open. But what i did see was great. Also had my first and only 'holy s**t i wont be able to stop' moment driving on the snow in there, luckily there was noone else around so I was able to slide almost sideways around the bend.

Didnt have crampons which didnt bother me much at Bryce but did prevent me from getting to the very top of Angels Landing. I made it to Scouts Lookout and after slipping and sliding around there thought it was probably best for my health not to go any further. Surprisingly I made it up the ice/snow covered Walters Wiggles ok, but coming back down was a different story. I slowly got down 2 of the switchbacks but on the third slipped flat on my back and had the wind knocked out of me. After that i slid down on my ass the rest of the way, which was actually pretty fun.

Would love to get back there with the proper equipment and make it to the top.

Mum gave me a great tip:

Take your own tea bags as as some places tea is more expensive than coffee. Ridiculous.

Then just pay $1 for a cup of hot water!

Will be in America in May with the missus

1st - 17th east coast, then Vegas for 5 nights, San fran for 1 drive to Anaheim for 2 then back to LA for the last few nights of the month.

The east coast depends heavily on nba playoff scheduling. But starting in Boston, and will hire a car and drive between new York, Philly maybe the falls on Canada side.

Pretty much only Vegas and Anaheim is locked in accomodation wise... rest will wing it with air bnb's

Any further tips or advice guys? :)

1st - 17th east coast, then Vegas for 5 nights, San fran for 1 drive to Anaheim for 2 then back to LA for the last few nights of the month.

The east coast depends heavily on nba playoff scheduling. But starting in Boston, and will hire a car and drive between new York, Philly maybe the falls on Canada side.

Pretty much only Vegas and Anaheim is locked in accomodation wise... rest will wing it with air bnb's

San Fran for 1 night is obviously a waste imo. Either spend a few nights there or skip it all together.

Instead of driving on the east coast look at catching trains

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Don't try to take a back pack in to the NBA games.
Do the South or north rim of the canyon. Take plenty of fluids.
Go and see the Amish towns
No mention of kids. So skip Disney. Hit six flags instead.
Some good beer tasting places near finger lakes in NY

Back