Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Also, the commentators continuously crediting Petracca for passing up inviting goal opportunities in order to “get his teammates more involved” is either a) one of the great announcer trolls of all time, or b) a terrible misreading of CP’s lack of confidence in his ability to successfully kick rhe ball between the two innermost posts.

I’m leaning heavily towards B.

So actually option C. It was felt towards the back of the year culminating in the Cats game when he bombed long that Petracca was being too selfish with the ball and was burning team mates. Their was second hand evidence the coaches had told him to use his team mates more often an it was widely acknowledged his last few games of the year were better when he did that

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
So actually option C. It was felt towards the back of the year culminating in the Cats game when he bombed long that Petracca was being too selfish with the ball and was burning team mates. Their was second hand evidence the coaches had told him to use his team mates more often an it was widely acknowledged his last few games of the year were better when he did that

Good to hear. I thought the worst of it. He’s looked like a man afraid to take the wide open jumper.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Good to hear. I thought the worst of it. He’s looked like a man afraid to take the wide open jumper.
I think you’re both right this time. Petracca may have been encouraged to look around more, use teammates etc, but like you I think there were several occasions in that GWS game where he shied away from having a ping himself purely because he had lost confidence in his kicking for goal

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I do remember there being a feeling he over corrected and was too unselfish but he will learn
I think you’re both right this time. Petracca may have been encouraged to look around more, use teammates etc, but like you I think there were several occasions in that GWS game where he shied away from having a ping himself purely because he had lost confidence in his kicking for goal

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Early in the sydney game trac was pinged for holding the ball about 50-55m out and he burnt Garlett (for memory).

BT got word the coaches had spoken to him and then repeated it at every opportunity like he had some inside knowledge, the other parrot commentators just kept repeating it.

But he did over correct - but for the best, he intercepted a geelong handball early in the last and fired off a handball to Jones for a crucial goal.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Also in the first half, melk missed a snap attempt, and then was seen yelling at Sizzle (apparently making his case for why he attempted the kick instead of passing). Was there any discussion of this at the time?

Demonkings

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Also, the commentators continuously crediting Petracca for passing up inviting goal opportunities in order to “get his teammates more involved” is either a) one of the great announcer trolls of all time, or b) a terrible misreading of CP’s lack of confidence in his ability to successfully kick rhe ball between the two innermost posts.

I’m leaning heavily towards B.
It’s a funny one AA. I’m not convinced that he is playing his natural game either, when he’s looking to set up teammates instead of backing himself in. He wasn’t drafted to be a Steve Nash/ Mesut Ozil assist king, he was drafted to be the man, ala Dusty or LeBron.

I think up until now though he’s made this concerted effort to play in an unselfish way. Even before he was drafted his ego was talked about like a hindrance to his development so I wouldn’t be surprised if the coaches have really pushed him in this unselfish direction, but I think that path has now run its race. He needs to reach a “* this bullshit” moment and explode and kick 6 in a big game. My hope is without another big ego in Hogan crowding up the forward line, Petracca can find room to establish himself and become a match winner without the fear of treading on team mates’ toes or coming across as selfish or arrogant. I’d bloody love to see Trac playing arrogant by the end of this season, it would mean great things for his development and our club imo.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
It’s a funny one AA. I’m not convinced that he is playing his natural game either, when he’s looking to set up teammates instead of backing himself in. He wasn’t drafted to be a Steve Nash/ Mesut Ozil assist king, he was drafted to be the man, ala Dusty or LeBron.

I think up until now though he’s made this concerted effort to play in an unselfish way. Even before he was drafted his ego was talked about like a hindrance to his development so I wouldn’t be surprised if the coaches have really pushed him in this unselfish direction, but I think that path has now run its race. He needs to reach a “**** this bullshit” moment and explode and kick 6 in a big game. My hope is without another big ego in Hogan crowding up the forward line, Petracca can find room to establish himself and become a match winner without the fear of treading on team mates’ toes or coming across as selfish or arrogant. I’d bloody love to see Trac playing arrogant by the end of this season, it would mean great things for his development and our club imo.

Here’s hoping mate. As others in this thread have suggested, it would probably go a long way for his confidence to get off to a good goal kicking start to the season. I’ve grown to appreciate what he brings to our attack more than I did 3-4 weeks ago. But he also had a tendency to disappear from the game for long stretches last year. Maybe coming into this season in better physical condition will help in that regard?? And I do think there’s a good chance Hogan’s absence might help- I could be way off base but I think the areas Hogan liked to work (and which annoyed me often to be honest), may be areas that CP prefers as well.

Would be fun if he were to become another Dusty. That dude is really fun to watch.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles

I think up until now though he’s made this concerted effort to play in an unselfish way. Even before he was drafted his ego was talked about like a hindrance to his development so I wouldn’t be surprised if the coaches have really pushed him in this unselfish direction, but I think that path has now run its race. He needs to reach a “**** this bullshit” moment and explode and kick 6 in a big game. My hope is without another big ego in Hogan crowding up the forward line, Petracca can find room to establish himself and become a match winner without the fear of treading on team mates’ toes or coming across as selfish or arrogant. I’d bloody love to see Trac playing arrogant by the end of this season, it would mean great things for his development and our club imo.

Also, major props for working Nash, Ozil, Bron and Dusty into one post :thumbsu:

Demonkings

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Also, major props for working Nash, Ozil, Bron and Dusty into one post :thumbsu:
I’m glad you liked it. Some guys were born to give assists, some guys to dunk on defences. Trac is much more the latter than the former, although maybe he likes the idea of the former? If Trac doesn’t start slamming some goals through and showing defenders he is better than them, then I fear his talent will go unfulfilled.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Right on cue, CP flips the script early in the third and goes for goal twice from distance. Missed one, but I love that he backed himself.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
And then again for his third goal.

Way to go CP.

Also, how good are we in third quarters?

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Big congrats to GWS who finally score a behind with 3 mins left in the quarter for their first point of the quarter.

Back