Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2024!

Remove this Banner Ad

This might be an unpopular view but......i like Nash, and to an extent Glass, in bursts.

However I am struggling to see where Nash (and Glass) fit long term and equally struggling to see either of them becoming high impact players on a consistent basis.

I know Nash is a cat B rookie which means he was basically a free player and is not long playing the game, but even thru my rose coloured gassed i just can't see him being a meaningful player for us. Might well end up in the Schoenmakers category as 'depth player'.

This might be an unpopular view but......i like Nash, and to an extent Glass, in bursts.

However I am struggling to see where Nash (and Glass) fit long term and equally struggling to see either of them becoming high impact players on a consistent basis.

I know Nash is a cat B rookie which means he was basically a free player and is not long playing the game, but even thru my rose coloured gassed i just can't see him being a meaningful player for us. Might well end up in the Schoenmakers category as 'depth player'.
What are your concerns with Nash?

What are your concerns with Nash?

I just struggle to see any one part of his game that i think will stand up over the journey and be really significant. He can certainly tackle, but that's a core skill anyway. He's fast for sure, but when he wins possession his decision making i don't regard as A grade. His kicking and handballs skills are ok....

I think a bloke of his height has to good above his head and i don't see this as a feature of game at this stage either.

I'd love to be wrong and he's got time on his side.

I just struggle to see any one part of his game that i think will stand up over the journey and be really significant. He can certainly tackle, but that's a core skill anyway. He's fast for sure, but when he wins possession his decision making i don't regard as A grade. His kicking and handballs skills are ok....

I think a bloke of his height has to good above his head and i don't see this as a feature of game at this stage either.

I'd love to be wrong and he's got time on his side.

Couldn't disagree more (especially given he's just a 5 gamer at present).
But that's OK, were all entitled to an opinion.

But consider this. He's not playing in a vacuum.
Someone who's possibly the fastest bloke on the ground and can double back into space at the speed of many thousand jet planes, and who's almost 2 meters tall, is going to need a bloody good tall defender on him to stop him breaking out because otherwise he'll just sprint back and kick goals as he did on Sunday.

A quality defender devoted to stopping Nash is music to the ears of Gunston, Roughy and friends.

How am I realising only now that he is 1.97cms?

His size coupled with his speed and aggression could be a huge asset for us.

Nash needs more games, I can see the hunger to make it as an afl footballer in his demeanor. If he can roam high up the ground to use his jets and be a link up player then I think we will see him use his assets and improve more with been more involved around the ball. He is still extremely raw. As for glass? Well I don’t think he has many tricks other than to run and kick long and for a defender he is quite poor at that aspect of his game plus doesn’t seem to make good decisions with or without the ball. By no means does it mean that the young man shouldn’t get a go, he’s on our list and clarko has obviously seen things from him that he can work on.

Someone who's possibly the fastest bloke on the ground and can double back into space at the speed of many thousand jet planes, and who's almost 2 meters tall, is going to need a bloody good tall defender on him to stop him breaking out because otherwise he'll just sprint back and kick goals as he did on Sunday.

A quality defender devoted to stopping Nash is music to the ears of Gunston, Roughy and friends.

I hope you're right and i'm wrong.

Can you imagine the look in a players eyes with Nash bearing down at full tilt on the wing and he has to tackle. He either tries to tackle and gets trampled to death, or he steps aside and is taken off by the coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely agree with this. I don’t understand why people use his height as a reason why he can’t make it or find a spot in the team.

Puopolo has played in 3 premierships doing exactly Nash’s role, yet nobody questioned his role because he is small. For some reason, people seem to see Nash’s height and assume that he can’t make it if he can’t take contested/overhead marks. Why can’t he just play Puopolo’s role whilst also forcing the opposition to play a key defender on him and causing more damage with his tackling due to his much larger frame?

In my eyes he absolutely has a role in our team in the future. Cyril is already gone and Poppy is in his last couple of seasons. Nash already has the tools to start playing their roles and I personally think he has scope to improve other aspects of his game and become even more damaging. He is only 20, give the man a chance!

I Just don’t understand how anyone is questioning this blokes future. The kid is only 20 and has only been playing this game for 2-3 years. Compare him to any other 20yo who has most likely grown up playing afl since 5/6 years of age. He is a 5 gamer and have a look at his output v Lions. Put 50 games under his belt and he is going to cause a lot of pain for the opposition. He will 100% make it and will become a 40-50 goal a year pressure forward and will bring a lot of joy to fans when he continues to do the unthinkable. He will become a cult figure and will bring kids through the turnstiles with his hard tackling and pagans paddock style running goals. Let’s get excited...our future is bright!

I Just don’t understand how anyone is questioning this blokes future. The kid is only 20 and has only been playing this game for 2-3 years. Compare him to any other 20yo who has most likely grown up playing afl since 5/6 years of age. He is a 5 gamer and have a look at his output v Lions. Put 50 games under his belt and he is going to cause a lot of pain for the opposition. He will 100% make it and will become a 40-50 goal a year pressure forward and will bring a lot of joy to fans when he continues to do the unthinkable. He will become a cult figure and will bring kids through the turnstiles with his hard tackling and pagans paddock style running goals. Let’s get excited...our future is bright!

It's a chat forum.....of course someone is gonna question his future ;-)

I'll take whatever money you want to put on this happening: "He will 100% make it and will become a 40-50 goal a year pressure forward".

I'm interested in whether people would be more or less bullish about Nash if he was a native who grew up with the game?

If you were to compare with say, Buddy, at the same age there are a lot of similarities - height, strength, speed, smarts whilst both poor overhead and unreliable kicks (Bud's kicking issues between the ears).

He's not the Budwah, I think he might be something different to anything we've seen but time will tell - however, I do wonder whether there is a bit of fatigue regarding none of our Internationals or left field selections really working out so far?

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The best word I can use to describe Nash, to people who don't know who he is, is UNIQUE.

Off the top of my head I can't think of another player who is almost 2 metres tall but has all the attributes of a guy the size of Puopolo
A bit like having a winger on a soccer team who is tall, strong and lightning quick. That is the nightmare scenario for any defender

Conor still has a fair bit to work on but the excitement is real

The best word I can use to describe Nash, to people who don't know who he is, is UNIQUE.

Off the top of my head I can't think of another player who is almost 2 metres tall but has all the attributes of a guy the size of Puopolo
A bit like having a winger on a soccer team who is tall, strong and lightning quick. That is the nightmare scenario for any defender

Conor still has a fair bit to work on but the excitement is real

Maaate
Almost plagiarism !!
Read posts #649 and 657.
😎

I'm interested in whether people would be more or less bullish about Nash if he was a native who grew up with the game?

If you were to compare with say, Buddy, at the same age there are a lot of similarities - height, strength, speed, smarts whilst both poor overhead and unreliable kicks (Bud's kicking issues between the ears).

He's not the Budwah, I think he might be something different to anything we've seen but time will tell - however, I do wonder whether there is a bit of fatigue regarding none of our Internationals or left field selections really working out so far?

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

For mine, I think that we all love what the Irish bring to the game and the unique skills that go with that. I don't care personally about whether a player is national or international although it is a good narrative for the media, supporters etc
I see the genuine adaptation for him which is far better than Kurt or Shem which provides me with a confidence which is not too dissimilar to watching Aussie kids adapt from basketball or baseball.

I am bullish for Conor regardless of background and nationality.

I'm for the Nasher no question.

I guess people are iffy on Nash because we haven't developed many talls in a fair while. But he's coming along nicely. I mean O'Brien ticked every box early on, if Nash isn't the perfect footballer at 20 it doesn't really matter to me.

I guess people are iffy on Nash because we haven't developed many talls in a fair while. But he's coming along nicely. I mean O'Brien ticked every box early on, if Nash isn't the perfect footballer at 20 it doesn't really matter to me.
Someone like TOB is purerly limited to playing Key Position, Nash could easily play on the wing as he could as a second ruck or crumbing forward. Not saying he's going to be an elite player/300 games but here's a guranteed bet to carving out a decent career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back