Traded Jake Carlisle [traded w/ #23 and #44 for #5, #24 and Craig Bird] pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Three and a half years after the trade, as it stands, here's the respective scenarios for each of the three teams when considering the drafted players involved:

Sydney

Lost: Craig Bird and draft position (due to points accrual in securing Callum Mills) and Jade Gresham. Also 'lost' Alex Morgan, but in reality considering they were merely using the points to make sure they could secure Mills it's hard to label it as such.
Gained: The clout to secure Mills, really.

Summary: Effectively Sydney gave up Craig Bird and the opportunity to draft Jade Gresham in exchange for Callum Mills and a smattering of later picks; it made their entire offseason about Mills, which in isolation is enough to say they 'won' their exchanges because they got the only thing they really wanted and didn't lose anything of value to them.

Essendon

Lost: Jake Carlisle, Luke Partington, Tyrone Leonardis
Gained: Craig Bird, Aaron Francis, Alex Morgan

Summary: Let's face it, this trade boils down to a simple exchange. Essendon swapped Jake Carlisle for Aaron Francis and a dozen or so pretty serviceable games from Bird. You'd think Essendon would currently be very comfortable with this exchange.

St Kilda

Lost: Aaron Francis, Alex Morgan
Gained: Jake Carlisle, Jade Gresham

Inclined to think that with Jade Gresham being a best 22 player, this exchange has worked ok for the Saints. Had it been a Francis for Carlisle trade in isolation, I think this would be labelled a bust now.

Trade Summary

No one has come out here a standout winner, and equally, no one has really lost the world.

The amazing part about this trade is that had the picks that ultimately ended up being 28 and 29 not turned in to busts, it could have been HEAVILY skewed one way or another; an entirely possible eventuality at the time when you consider the players that have been taken thereabouts to these picks in recent years such as Zach Merrett, Tim Kelly, Touk Miller.
Saints are in front. Francis has played 1 good game. He may break out this year but until he does the Saints are winning this trade due to how good Gresham has been.

Saints are in front. Francis has played 1 good game. He may break out this year but until he does the Saints are winning this trade due to how good Gresham has been.

More like one excellent games and several good ones. Champion Data had him as a top 5 defender in league across the last 5 games of the season.

StKilda definitely did well out of this trade though as Carlisle and Gresham are two of their best 3 players.

More like one excellent games and several good ones. Champion Data had him as a top 5 defender in league across the last 5 games of the season.

StKilda definitely did well out of this trade though as Carlisle and Gresham are two of their best 3 players.
Gresham has had a lot more than 1 and why it puts saints in front. But this year things could change.

Here's hoping the back injury doesn't cruel Carlisle. I did enjoy watching him play, esp a forward (as much as he preferred defence).
But, he got us Francis, so im happy.

It's like FB stalking an ex. :p

I actually have a soft spot for Carlisle.

When St Kilda we’re trying to * us over, it was ultimately his agreement to go to the Hawks if he had to that forced that rank amateur Bains hand.

Contrast that with Ryder for example, who held the club to ransom, and I quite like Jake.

I actually have a soft spot for Carlisle.

When St Kilda we’re trying to **** us over, it was ultimately his agreement to go to the Hawks if he had to that forced that rank amateur Bains hand.

Contrast that with Ryder for example, who held the club to ransom, and I quite like Jake.

Ryder is my favourite ex Essendon player to watch. When a player leaves Essendon I know longer get annoyed by the weaknesses/problems in their game and just enjoy see them playing.

Ryder is my favourite ex Essendon player to watch. When a player leaves Essendon I know longer get annoyed by the weaknesses/problems in their game and just enjoy see them playing.

Oh don’t get me wrong, Ryder is a star when he’s up and about.

Just have no time for him as a bloke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Francis will be a gun and has talent for sure but wow has that bloke actually watched Gresham? Has Francis covered comfortably. Carlisle a very very good player of us obviously this year isn't ideal but if we can improve as a side and he comes back next year he'll get the due recognition.

Well he indisputably has more runs on the board, but more talented? No. Nup. Nada. I am quite comfortable in suggesting that on pure talent, Francis would be in the top three at Essendon (Daniher and Fantasia the other two that jump to mind). Then of course, there is the fact that Francis was rated more highly than Gresham by Champion Data (though I do acknowledge that's not the be all and end all).

Gresham went ok yesterday. BOG? Francis kicking into the back of Hurley was also a highlight for me.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back