Society/Culture Jordan B Peterson

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay.

I am suspicious of this terminology:

https://researchguides.dartmouth.edu/human_geography

It presents as another Trojan Horse for bullshit to insert itself amongst proper academia.

There is only the one unit called social geography that would have quite left leaning ideals imo that encapulates feminism, ethnicity minorities immigration victims etc. Other than that rest of degree so far (my last year) its all quite central.

You gotta sift through the bullshit even in tertiary education. This social unit definetly felt like you had to sway a certain way to get maximum marks tho.

There is only the one unit called social geography that would have quite left leaning ideals imo that encapulates feminism, ethnicity minorities immigration victims etc. Other than that rest of degree so far (my last year) its all quite central.

You gotta sift through the bullshit even in tertiary education. This social unit definetly felt like you had to sway a certain way to get maximum marks tho.

It appears I am correct then.

Grievance Studies (GS) has made a complete mockery of itself and after destroying sociology it is now reinserting itself amongst a combined branch of anthropology, economics, and geographical statistics & planning. These fields have cause for concern, considering the other fields GS white anted have become an academic laughing stock.

There's a hell of a lot of useless degrees that need to find a place for themselves. Brace yourself for the invasion of the morons.

All the arts degrees in the world can't help a mediocre mind past a certain point. Mediocre minds thrive in business, the bureaucracy and politics.

The truly brilliant people I have met strongly tend to put interest ahead of material career choices, simply because their brilliance puts them in a space where they can have that choice.

People need to break out of the "career" cage. It's a concept of the last century.

Mediocre minds outnumber brilliant ones 1000:1 if not more.

From my experience the majority of people who put interest ahead of career choices don't have brilliant minds.

Mediocre minds outnumber brilliant ones 1000:1 if not more.

From my experience the majority of people who put interest ahead of career choices don't have brilliant minds.

Brilliant people walk around with an AMEX platinum card between their ears and choose what they like.

Careerists have to plan where they can fit.

Last edited:
Archaeology is probably peripheral to the humanities subjects being discussed. In fact I would have assumed it was considered part of the sciences on first instinct, but I understand the history and sociological aspects are significant on second thought.

In any case, the humanities in Australia have got a majority of female students quite clearly. The stats are even further skewed if you discount more "traditional" humanities subjects. I think this idea of males bailing out has a lot to do with the rise of the newer humanities studies that are still most fringe work but growing. Not so much here, but in North America.
I would have thought the lower potential money and general denigration of the arts drives people out.

I would have thought the lower potential money and general denigration of the arts drives people out.
Could well be a major factor, which then brings up some interesting questions about men vs women in personality and career aspirations given the women are still enrolling in the humanities well. Flows on to the gender earning gap debate etc.

Expansion of university placements led to less abstract subjects lowering their standards. Eg reality won’t be fooled if you can’t understand an equation or technical concept, but you can fudge your way through a degree in politics.

That doesn’t mean everyone who studies politics is a dunce, obviously.

Of course, I wouldn't recommend asking those questions if you're an engineer at Google. That s**t will get you fired.
Huh? Wasn't that about some shitty screed sent around by one guy?

People are also exaggerating what you have to write in humanities. I did a gender subject and wrote an essay on why I think multiculturalism is doomed to fail and got an A on it. Just because you feel like you need to write something doesn’t mean you do.

Fortune favours the brave.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People are also exaggerating what you have to write in humanities. I did a gender subject and wrote an essay on why I think multiculturalism is doomed to fail and got an A on it. Just because you feel like you need to write something doesn’t mean you do.

Depends. One of my classes was on bioengineering and ethics, and we had to write a paper on using pig organs for human transplants. The lecturer was in favour of it, my take was that because a lot of current human diseases had crossed from pigs to humans (flu etc) and because (at the time) HIV was thought to have arisen from using monkey tissue samples in medicine, that the most sound strategy was to follow the precautionary principle for xenotransplants and simply wait until the science & tech was a lot better, perhaps even for cloning / stem cells generating tissue. Eg you might save a few lives while introducing a plague-proportion pathogen, so it's not worth the risk.

My mate took the alternative strategy of identifying that the lecturer had research on the topic and was in favour of it, and wrote a gungho paper that didn't even identify a single risk, just extolled the virtues and infinite applications of it. I think we were equivalent writers: he got an HD and I got a D.

Anyway in the 15 years since I don't think xenotransplantation has taken off, so I can feel smug in being proved right.

The idea that he's some master logician coming out with well researched and well thought out ideas has been shown to incorrect so many times now, I'm surprised at your surprise. The first time I read something of his outside of psychology I was stunned by how ideological it was and just laden with easily identifiable factual errors. It was like he literally had read a single book on the subject 30 years before and only added to that knowledge through the extra wrong opinion pieces of America's pundit class. I was shocked and angered at the start but by the end it was embarrassing.
Other than JP be bad - over and over - you’ve never specifically highlighted anything that JP has said or written which cast a shadow on his thinking.

But you seem to possess an indefatigable spirit when it comes displaying a complete lack of comprehension.

Expansion of university placements led to less abstract subjects lowering their standards. Eg reality won’t be fooled if you can’t understand an equation or technical concept, but you can fudge your way through a degree in politics.

That doesn’t mean everyone who studies politics is a dunce, obviously.
This is true but it need not necessarily be true.
I’m a idealistic about education and believe with dedicated effort and honest self reflection even a mediocre mind can be elevated to something approaching genius.

I also believe the accessibility of the internet and you tube to classic books, commentaries and lectures enable anyone with a modicum of sustained effort applied correctly and intently for a single year - to make themselves both very employable and both verbally and in writing acheive standards that will run rings around all but the most extraordinary BA graduate.

And this at least is a positive

I knew someone who did a PHD in Chinese weddings. It seemed like such a niche topic, and largely pointless. Yet they had endless grants thrown at them, and collected data around China for a few years with what felt like an unlimited budget.

Their dad's theory was that the funding came indirectly from defense agencies wanting to better understand chinese culture. *shrugs*

Good to hear, but N=1 here. I would imagine that many lecturers who are particularly ideological would struggle to mark essays fairly that go against their beliefs.

It appears I am correct then.

Grievance Studies (GS) has made a complete mockery of itself and after destroying sociology it is now reinserting itself amongst a combined branch of anthropology, economics, and geographical statistics & planning. These fields have cause for concern, considering the other fields GS white anted have become an academic laughing stock.

There's a hell of a lot of useless degrees that need to find a place for themselves. Brace yourself for the invasion of the morons.

err social geography is the study of differing impacts of events on certain groups - you wont believe this but infant mortality for first nation kids is much higher, people who reside in Kew are more likely to have a law degree, that people from Non English Speaking Backgrounds sometimes have less opportunities for employment. You would say Social Geography is on the empirical end of the spectrum - but please. please while listing ad nauseum your grievance about all academic learning in the humanities - tell us how much you all hate "grievance studies'

This is true but it need not necessarily be true.
I’m a idealistic about education and believe with dedicated effort and honest self reflection even a mediocre mind can be elevated to something approaching genius.

I also believe the accessibility of the internet and you tube to classic books, commentaries and lectures enable anyone with a modicum of sustained effort applied correctly and intently for a single year - to make themselves both very employable and both verbally and in writing acheive standards that will run rings around all but the most extraordinary BA graduate.

And this at least is a positive

There is no discipline without guidance - its the tertiary equivalent of home schooling. You only say that to denigrate Arts students and disciplines

Could well be a major factor, which then brings up some interesting questions about men vs women in personality and career aspirations given the women are still enrolling in the humanities well. Flows on to the gender earning gap debate etc.
We have a culture where students expect to get a university degree, so there needs to be a market created for people to get that without the hardcore science or maths involved. That's where I think it's coming from.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back