Unpopular Opinions (Wrestling Edition)

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
When's the last time you watched King of the Ring 1998 or SummerSlam 1998?? (the two PPV's that the matches you've recommended are from)

I watched both shows last year (mainly out of interest after Bruce & Conrad spoke about them on STWW) and IMO they are both really mediocre matches. Yes; the crowd was super hot compared to today, but the matches weren't that great.

Give me Brock Lesnar against a smaller guy (Styles, Bryan, Finn, etc.) any day over any Ken Shamrock match I've ever watched.

That’s your opinion. I respect that. However I do disagree. Brock vs Finn and AJ were good, not great, prefer his match against Punk tbh. Brock vs Bryan was mediocre, Bryan has had better matches.

That’s your opinion. I respect that. However I do disagree. Brock vs Finn and AJ were good, not great, prefer his match against Punk tbh. Brock vs Bryan was mediocre, Bryan has had better matches.

Of course Daniel Bryan has had better matches than the Lesnar one, he's Daniel Bryan! One of the greatest wrestlers of a generation.

I also respect your opinion that you think Ken Shamrock was a better wrestler than Brock, I just personally don't see it, which is why I was asking for some more matches I may've missed. I only really got into professional wrestling in 2000; so I've been slowly trying to catch up on matches before then-- but haven't seen every PPV from pre-2000 yet.

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Brock's only REALLY good matches were against Kurt Angle, particularly the Ironman Match. Everything else is honestly forgettable. Since his return Squash Lesnar who tells the same in-ring story nearly every ******* match is not enjoyable.

Saw a match between brock and Benoit on a SD. That was fairly brutal.

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Saw a match between brock and Benoit on a SD. That was fairly brutal.

He had a lot of good matches back on SmackDown and even worked tag matches really good too. It's crazy remembering how good he was, especially when you gave him a good opponent.

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He had a lot of good matches back on SmackDown and even worked tag matches really good too. It's crazy remembering how good he was, especially when you gave him a good opponent.

With Benoit and angle they were pretty good shoot fighters outside the ring as well. So probably had his respect.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Lesnar has been going through the motions for seven years. * him. Heyman too for that matter. People cheer this repetitive campaigner because ECW died 18 years ago?

I'd hate Shamrock if he hung around until 2006 while putting in the minimum possible effort. But he didn't. He's a superior wrestler to Lesnar.

Last edited:
I'd hate Shamrock if he hung around until 2006 while putting in the minimum possible effort. But he didn't. He's a superior wrestler to Lesnar.

Agree. He was a Very Underrated Wrestler and could easily been WWF Champion

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Brock's only REALLY good matches were against Kurt Angle, particularly the Ironman Match. Everything else is honestly forgettable. Since his return Squash Lesnar who tells the same in-ring story nearly every ******* match is not enjoyable.

The best match Brock ever had was the HIAC against The Undertaker. It's arguably the best HIAC match too, and among the top handful of matches in The Undertaker's career as well.

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Lesnar has been going through the motions for seven years. **** him. Heyman too for that matter. People cheer this repetitive campaigner because ECW died 18 years ago?

The thing is, you're not meant to like either of them. They're heels, and they're doing a good job if they're drawing out reactions such as yours.

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
The best match Brock ever had was the HIAC against The Undertaker. It's arguably the best HIAC match too, and among the top handful of matches in The Undertaker's career as well.

I can think of a handful of HIAC matches in just seconds off the top of my head that easily trump that one. Not even a Top 5 Lesnar match IMO even among his recent garbage.

Last edited:

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agree. He was a Very Underrated Wrestler and could easily been WWF Champion
Dave didn’t know you were a wrestling man?

Good work there.

:)

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Woooooooo

The greatest of them all, just turned 70.

C8784DD4-8006-4A50-8744-2AFFE15D090F.jpeg

I don't recall liking that match, but I should give it a re-watch.

As far as Undertaker goes, how many matches are in a handful? If we're saying 10, you can add 3 vs HBK (first HIAC, 2x WM) into his top matches straight away.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Wouldn't have used this word at the time but 2002--04 Lesnar was utilitarian. When he quit on short notice the internet was angry. I was very surprised but that was about it.

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I can think of a handful of HIAC matches in just seconds off the top of my head that easily trump that one. Not even a Top 5 Lesnar match IMO even among his recent garbage.

I don't recall liking that match, but I should give it a re-watch.

It's certainly one of the more underrated/overlooked big matches of the past 20 years. It doesn't have the big falls that the Cell is known for, but it's still a brutal war of a match.

To be clear, I'm talking about their Cell match at No Mercy 2002, not Hell in a Cell 2015.

As far as Undertaker goes, how many matches are in a handful? If we're saying 10, you can add 3 vs HBK (first HIAC, 2x WM) into his top matches straight away.

Yeah, I'd probably say top 10 is a "handful". This match would certainly be in there.

Wouldn't have used this word at the time but 2002--04 Lesnar was utilitarian. When he quit on short notice the internet was angry. I was very surprised but that was about it.

I think it's amazing just how good Brock was back then, considering how new he was to the business. Yeah, he worked alongside some great talent, but I can't think of another big guy who had such consistently great matches so early in his career. They pushed him to the moon, but he delivered, too.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lol, please.

When I think Top 5 Lesnar matches, his HIAC match against Taker isn't even in the equation. When I think greatest HIAC matches of all time, I only think about HHH - who owns the stipulation. There's still a handful of HIAC matches that in my opinion surpass and are clear standouts compared to that match. Hand = 5 Fingers = Handful = 5. So with that said, it's not even in Taker's top "handful" of matches either.

Armageddon 2000
HHH / Foley
HHH / Batista
HHH / Taker
HBK / Taker

Even Edge / Taker was a better HIAC match. Lesnar / Taker barely makes the Top 10 all time.

So best Brock match ever + best HIAC ever + Top 5 Taker match at once is a bit too ambitious for what it actually was, but hey whatever that is your opinion.

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Even Edge / Taker was a better HIAC match

Given the build-up, that was one of the most disappointing big matches of all time. Edge's return later on, after being "sent to hell", was even more disappointing. It was just like "he's back!", continuing on as always, without any change in character.

Agree to disagree on the Lesnar one, I guess.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I couldn't give a s**t about tag team wrestling.
Back in the day, Pro Wrestling Illustrated and their sister mags (Aka Apter mags) absolutely promoted the Road Warriors as THE tag team.
They did look mean and tough.

Getting the right chemistry makes a great tag team especially if they are great workers like:
Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard.

Back