Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-05/three-states-chase-gun-giant-mid-freo-in-the-hunt

Coniglio for 1.1 million a year, heavily frontloaded on a 7 year deal (8 million)?

In a heartbeat.

Heck we could probably afford 2 million a year for the first 2 years now that we have everyone locked away till 2021, meaning he'd only be getting 750k per year for the remaining 5 years.

By the end of those 2 years Murphy, Thomas, Simpson (waah) and maybe even Kruezer will probably be gone or close to it.

Fills that damaging half forward-mid role that we've been trying to turn Polson into without much luck.
As if Coniglio would go to Freo, beside the fact he despised them growing up why would he want to join a midfield led by the biggest ego in AFL footy in Fyfe would be a ridiculous move on his part and would never happen imo.
I'd go so far as to say I'd rather see Marchbank play limited minutes in the VFL for two months before bringing him back to the seniors. I think we can cover his absence in the short term, and the payoff could be significant in the long term.

BSOS and Macreadie will be hot on his tail if he has another injury-plagued year.
It was fantastic to see Marchbank and McReadie involved in ball work today, shows they are headed in the right direction but no Williamson in any of the photos, although they did say last week he was a bit further behind the other 2, hopefully next week for Willo should have all 3 back early in the year.

Other improvement area is fitness. Spends far too much time playing like Tom Hawkins instead of getting on his bike.
Probably a lot to do with the delivery coming in from the mids which we know they tend to put it on your head instead of out in front so you can actually lead.

Noticed a fair bit of commentary in the past about the pace of our midfield and whether we can play Cripps, Kennedy and Setterfield in the same team.

Absolutely we can.

Teams like Essendon that play smaller, faster midfields are prone to getting smashed in centre clearances and stoppages. Whilst smaller, quicker midfields can look a million bucks when up and running, they're generally inconsistent.

Big bodies hold up in finals because as intensity and pressure lift, games tend to become more congested and require more grunt work.

Noticed a fair bit of commentary in the past about the pace of our midfield and whether we can play Cripps, Kennedy and Setterfield in the same team.

Absolutely we can.

Teams like Essendon that play smaller, faster midfields are prone to getting smashed in centre clearances and stoppages. Whilst smaller, quicker midfields can look a million bucks when up and running, they're generally inconsistent.

Big bodies hold up in finals because as intensity and pressure lift, games tend to become more congested and require more grunt work.

Im confident we can play those 3 in one team.

I'm not confident we can play those 3 plus Ed Curnow in the one team.

How good can our midfield be?

Cripps - Leader
2015: Kennedy (13), Cuningham (22)
2016: Setterfield (5) SPS (6), Fisher (27)
2017: Dow (3), LOB (10)
2018: Walsh (1), Stocker (19)

A group of 10 strong prospects, which contains Cripps plus 4 mids taken in the top 6! I think we can seriously be something very special.
I look back to when Collingwood brought in treloar. They had Pendlebury, Swan and beams. All top end quality and highish picks. Payed two first rounders for him. Now they’ve traded another first to get beams back at the end of his career. We did it the other way kept the firsts and back our development to get the kids ready for AFL. We will go past them very soon in the middle. 2020-21.

Just on a side note, I'm really bullish on Stocker.

According to his profile in the link below, he recorded 2.94 seconds in the 20m sprint (assuming source is accurate).

If he builds his endurance to the point where he can maintain explosive pace from stoppages for four quarters, he could end up being one of the most damaging players in the league, especially given his kicking prowess.

https://footyology.com.au/footyology-phantom-draft-who-goes-where-in-the-top-20/

Im confident we can play those 3 in one team.

I'm not confident we can play those 3 plus Ed Curnow in the one team.

One of those players would be resting forward or on the bench.

Just look at Port. They'll have Boak, Powell-Pepper, Ebert, Rockliff and Wines in the same midfield.

I think our biggest issue is making sure our game plan and structures hold up during match play.

I look back to when Collingwood brought in treloar. They had Pendlebury, Swan and beams. All top end quality and highish picks. Payed two first rounders for him. Now they’ve traded another first to get beams back at the end of his career. We did it the other way kept the firsts and back our development to get the kids ready for AFL. We will go past them very soon in the middle. 2020-21.
I'd love this to be true.

Treloar, Pendles, Beams, Sidebottom, Adams...that is a crazy midfield. Especially when you think they've got DeGoey and Stephenson who can rotate through there part-time.

I think we have much better KPP stocks, but if our midfield gets there within 1-2 years, we'd be a favourite for the premiership. Unfortunately it's more like 4 years before I think we overtake.

Juddernaut08, don't know if you've posted this in the Carlton forum somewhere, but thought your post from the main board was very well-written:

This x 1000% and exactly why we were always taking Walsh and only and older ages mobile tall ( gov). Said it a million times, last draft was all about mids and maybe a small forward (faz). Sos has stuck to this strategy since the moment he walked in. This year 1-2 experienced guns the goal, but can’t be guaranteed (cogs , billings front runners. I would kill for a Rioli but won’t happen or if someone similar)

We’re about to launch! Take a look back at that team in r3 where we were Comp favs and carazzo got smashed. It really is an uninspired list.

I’m so on the soapy train. What we have done here has the potential to be something really really special.

How much can 1 man give to club? In my eyes sos regardless of the results from here has given us the best possible chance for success. Couldn’t have nailed his drafts more or more strategically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As if Coniglio would go to Freo, beside the fact he despised them growing up why would he want to join a midfield led by the biggest ego in AFL footy in Fyfe would be a ridiculous move on his part and would never happen imo.

What have you heard re Fyfe mate? Hadn’t heard that one? Seems like a good lad.

What have you heard re Fyfe mate? Hadn’t heard that one? Seems like a good lad.

A few things I’ve read over the last few years like when he was out with his knee and was helping out with the coaching just the way he was carrying himself around the group and lately what Lachie Neale said about how it was nice being in Brisbane’s midfield without the egos. Think that was a direct swipe at Fyfe. Just my opinion, take it or leave it. No biggy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few things I’ve read over the last few years like when he was out with his knee and was helping out with the coaching just the way he was carrying himself around the group and lately what Lachie Neale said about how it was nice being in Brisbane’s midfield without the egos. Think that was a direct swipe at Fyfe. Just my opinion, take it or leave it. No biggy

Fyfe is NOT very well liked by many in their group

Last edited:
Dangerfield has lengths on Fyfe in terms of ego.

The lack of potable water in Adelaide obviously drove him to start drinking his own bathwater, and he hasn't looked back since.
Definitely got an opinion on everything these days that’s for sure.

Yep. The bottom line is if the club don’t pick Kennedy he will have his spot filled by a very good player. Nice to be able to properly debate positions because a number of players can genuinely step in

Finally

Kennedy will be an automatic selection. He will be the number 2 clearance mid behind Cripps.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just on a side note, I'm really bullish on Stocker.

According to his profile in the link below, he recorded 2.94 seconds in the 20m sprint (assuming source is accurate).

If he builds his endurance to the point where he can maintain explosive pace from stoppages for four quarters, he could end up being one of the most damaging players in the league, especially given his kicking prowess.

https://footyology.com.au/footyology-phantom-draft-who-goes-where-in-the-top-20/
Don't think that source is right, ive been looking at top ten 20m sprints from the AFL and Topendsports and they dont have Stocker in it.

I dont believe stocker has that explosive speed like Danger, fyfe, dusty. Hopefully he isnt slow.

Don't think that source is right, ive been looking at top ten 20m sprints from the AFL and Topendsports and they dont have Stocker in it.

I dont believe stocker has that explosive speed like Danger, fyfe, dusty. Hopefully he isnt slow.

The time would be correct and given it was state testing it wouldn't appear on sites like topendsports

He certainly is quick, but moreso over the first 10 metres

Dangerfield has lengths on Fyfe in terms of ego.

The lack of potable water in Adelaide obviously drove him to start drinking his own bathwater, and he hasn't looked back since.
This is why I sometimes think leadership is overrated. I’d take a Dusty Martin type personality out our club over both Fyfe and Dangerfield’s.

Absolutely we can.

Amazingly apparently Essendon were the 5th best clearance side last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back