Preview JLT1: Dockers vs Collingdidnt, Monday 4th March

Remove this Banner Ad

If Fyfe is back next week this is what I'd do personally.

Cerra moves midfield. Conca comes in to assist midfield. One of Duman/Hughes gets the arse for Nyhuis.

Walters moves into the forward line.

Fyfe Lobb Matera

Hogan Cox Schultz

Langdon Walters Hill

Wilson Pearce Ryan

Logue Hamling Nyhuis

Darcy Brayshaw Cerra

INT from: Conca Colyer Bewley Giro Hughes Taberner Crowden North Ballantyne Duman

It's more balanced

ACtually the other though I had was 50% of the game like this

What I thought I learnt:

- Brayshaw is better than I thought he was going to be this year.
- Tucker is best 22.
- Lobb is better than I thought.
- Hamling shouldn’t play on smalls - with Logue around this year dropping one of these two for smaller forward lines may be an option.
- Cox has much more ability at ground level than Taberner. Ultimately this probably gets him the last spot in the forward line.
- We need Schultz or Switkowski to go past Ballantyne as quickly as possible - preferably both so one can go past Matera too.
- Defender number six will be up in the air. Reckon they may go with Conca and Cerra sharing it at this stage.
To your point on Hamling playing on smalls. This is why I think Nyhuis should be in the backline especially against a team that has dangerous medium/small forwards. Nyhuis is a lock-down defender and who cares about his run from defense, we have so many others to do that in the side. I also think Nyhuis can tag in the midfield and leave Banfield to get forward more often.

I think what counts against Nyhuis is that we want everyone to contribute to offense when we have the ball. Ideally, you want 18 defenders we they have it and 18 forwards when we have it. I reckon the club doesn't want to return to the days of, say, Dawson when the moment we have the ball we are playing one short because Dawson doesn't contribute to offense. And that makes us easier to play against: Dawson's man causes an out-number elsewhere which makes the dreaded defensive transition harder.

I think the perception is that guys like Duman and Hughes are more useful because they are more effective at attacking football. What you lose in pure man-on-man defense you make up for when Duman or Hughes contribute further up the ground.

I don't know if I agree with this assessment, but I think that might be how it plays out at Match Committee.

Page after page of calling for Nyhuis.
Nyhuis has played two decent AFL games in his life, and one of them was a fluke.
We have a history of being smashed by oppo small forwards and Nyhuis has shown (from limited opportunities) that he can nulify their influence significantly. Ross's obsession with every defender being attacking seems dumb to me. Stopping an opposition small forward kicking 5 each week, seems more valuable, than having one extra running leaking tap in the backline. Nyhuis appears to be best placed to play that role so why not give him a reasonable go. Not saying it will definitely work, but some of us would like to find out.

We have a history of being smashed by oppo small forwards and Nyhuis has shown (from limited opportunities) that he can nulify their influence significantly

He really hasn't. I reckon many on here developed their love for him because he outpointed Ryan when they were both playing WAFL. Except that same mob also call Ryan overrated....

We have a history of being smashed by oppo small forwards

I'm not sure we do. More that when our midfield fall to pieces opposition players start kicking bags. I've posted this before but it illustrates my point.

Small forwards that kicked 3 or more goals on us in 2019.
Rnd 13 v Brisbane - Lewis Taylor 3 goals
Rnd 18 v Essendon - Orazio Fantasia 5 goals
Rnd 19 v Hawks - Luke Bruest 4 goals
Rnd 20 vs Eagles - Jamie Cripps 4 goals - Liam Ryan 3 goals
Rnd 22 vs Geelong - Brandan Parfitt - 4 goals

Five games where our midfield got completely outworked. I know it's cliche but if the midfield doesn't work hard enough the backline is going to cop a hammering and it doesn't matter what defenders are playing.

Quite painful to say it but imo Blakely is still our best option off half back in terms of individual output and team structure.

I think what counts against Nyhuis is that we want everyone to contribute to offense when we have the ball. Ideally, you want 18 defenders we they have it and 18 forwards when we have it. I reckon the club doesn't want to return to the days of, say, Dawson when the moment we have the ball we are playing one short because Dawson doesn't contribute to offense. And that makes us easier to play against: Dawson's man causes an out-number elsewhere which makes the dreaded defensive transition harder.

I think the perception is that guys like Duman and Hughes are more useful because they are more effective at attacking football. What you lose in pure man-on-man defense you make up for when Duman or Hughes contribute further up the ground.

I don't know if I agree with this assessment, but I think that might be how it plays out at Match Committee.

So we want defenders who attack
&
Forwards who defend?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm not sure we do. More that when our midfield fall to pieces opposition players start kicking bags. I've posted this before but it illustrates my point.

Five games where our midfield got completely outworked. I know it's cliche but if the midfield doesn't work hard enough the backline is going to cop a hammering and it doesn't matter what defenders are playing.

Are you psychic?
Who knows how many goals will be kicked on us in 2019?

Are you psychic?
Who knows how many goals will be kicked on us in 2019?

The pattern from last year was that small forwards were only an issue when our midfield under performed.

I wouldn't mind Nyhuis playing because I think he is quite a well rounded footballer, not because of a 'feeling' that small forwards are an issue for us as a team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just out of interest, how many of those games was Nyhuis playing in, and how many of the games where small forwards were quiet, did he play in?

At most I think our backline needs tweaking. Most of the components are in place, and there are some options for a couple of positions, or for a couple of strategies.

What the club/coach has clearly put in place is a strategy to address the dreadful problem we had with transition from defense (through the midfield and into attack).

I think we are in the situation where we will be trying a strategy, assessing it, then making a decision on whether to continue with it or not, knowing that we have a more conservative option (Nyhuis; lockdown small defender) if required. But our first preference is a more attacking strategy, prioritising players with a bit more panache and run, as well as taking the opportunity to have one more midfielder in the 22.

I like it, and hope it works.

So now Ross Lyon and the match committee are being potted for being too attacking.

Exactly.

To your point on Hamling playing on smalls. This is why I think Nyhuis should be in the backline especially against a team that has dangerous medium/small forwards. Nyhuis is a lock-down defender and who cares about his run from defense, we have so many others to do that in the side. I also think Nyhuis can tag in the midfield and leave Banfield to get forward more often.
I just don't think he offers enough offensively tbh. I'd only play him if we were to drop Hamling or Logue.

The midfield suggestion for Nyhuis is interesting. Good imagination is what I'd say - doubt it'd actually work. Might be worth a shot though as Hughes and Duman have gone past him.

With Logue and Ryan under injury clouds - Nyhuis will be certain to get a go against the Eagles.

Let’s remember that he was delisted and then added again as a rookie list player. He has a fair bit of work ahead of him to be a regular 22 player. I doubt he’ll play more than 3-5 games in 2019. In saying this it is up to Ryan when the opportunity presents.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ideally, you want 18 defenders we they have it and 18 forwards when we have it.

Nope. Ideally you have both happening concurrently, otherwise you are screwed when everything doesn't go to plan - and it is rare that everything goes to plan, especially when you have people actively trying to stuff up that plan (your opponents).

It is hard to get a goal as
  1. Your opponent is trying to stop you.
  2. There are things outside of your control (Umpires, which way an oval ball bounces, you don't have access to the 1000 football players in the league but up to 42 of varying quality - and even then some of those will be unavailable to injury and sods law says it's Fyfe or Sandi or someone that your plan dearly needs etc).
If you your eggs are all in the basket of offense when you have the ball in hand, what happens if there is a turnover? They sure as hell have a contingency in plan for when the ball is turned over, that rebound is going straight to their goal and you have not setup anything to stop them if you have no defense in your game. So, hard goals for you, but they get easy goals from being defensive and causing a turnover - equally they also have a similar opportunity to you to get goals from the outset, on the offensive when they've won a center bounce etc.

Real world examples and sport has a lot of parallels with military planning and thinking (as does business). A tank. Offensive weapon. Of itself it is highly defensive - e.g. it's covered in armour, that allows it to be offensive. It is also enabled to be offensive because you defend it's weaknesses - usually with troops on the ground (protect flanks and rear). You protect the supply lines, it is not offensive without supply so you protect supply (fuel, ammunition, parts, food). You also hope to have air superiority or it's just biding it's time until it get's destroyed by air. Big offensive Aircraft Carriers or Battleships, are the same as tanks but in the water. You protect their vulnerabilities with a screen of smaller ships/aircraft and you defend supply routes.

It's not either/or, it is both concurrently. You are offensive because your defense enables it and you also enable your defense with offense. If your team mate has the ball, you consider sacrificing your run to block for them, ie your defensive effort enabled your team mates offense as just 1 footy example.

With Logue and Ryan under injury clouds - Nyhuis will be certain to get a go against the Eagles.

Let’s remember that he was delisted and then added again as a rookie list player. He has a fair bit of work ahead of him to be a regular 22 player. I doubt he’ll play more than 3-5 games in 2019. In saying this it is up to Ryan when the opportunity presents.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Don't think Ryan is injured at all is he, not even a suggestion of it?

Cox kicked three goals in first half. Hogan went to bench in early third. Cox kick no more goals. Possibly a correlation there. Plus Cox looked to be carrying a knock to his wrist - could see him avoiding putting weight on it when picking himself up off the ground.

Hogans value won’t just be the goals he kicks for us, but just a better performing offence in general. I don’t care if Hogan kicks no goals if Cox kicks 60

Cox kicked three goals in first half. Hogan went to bench in early third. Cox kick no more goals. Possibly a correlation there. Plus Cox looked to be carrying a knock to his wrist - could see him avoiding putting weight on it when picking himself up off the ground.

Hogans value won’t just be the goals he kicks for us, but just a better performing offence in general. I don’t care if Hogan kicks no goals if Cox kicks 60

imho, I saw Cox's decline as after q1 - when Lobb stopped being the main ruck. But agree that Hogan will add a heap of value for things he does down the field, should greatly assist in quality transition of the ball up to the forward line in passages.

Square Peg,given your post do you actually know anything about footy?, Nyhuis is our one and only lock down defender , yes not attacking, great kick or pace but he can beat his opponent in a one on one in a contest ie Robbie Gray type of player and someone like that egirl pest Rioili
Roly as a defensive coach doesnt seem to value that quality for some strange reason,for mine first guy picked to handle the most dangerous opposition forward
If you want to look at poor players on our list go no further than Scott Jones , he is not even WALF standard (and i have seen plenty of him at Peel last year, the guy cant even take a grab at that level)
PS/talking about Peel can we please add Blair Bell to our list as a half forward flanker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back