Society/Culture Jordan B Peterson

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
I know what you are talking about - but myopic narcissism in academics isn’t limited to SJWs

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Absolutely. I just find them harder to put up with. As a mostly liberal and progressive person, I probably come down on them harder for making everyone else look stupid. Like when I say we should move Australia Day, the people against it would assume I am one of "those". No. I am just sensible and have thought it through. I blame "those" for hijacking progressive ideals.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
My degree is about 25 years old - I don’t know what the kids are up to these days.

Nor can I normalise a database any more :(

A lefty that "learned to code". You saw the writing on the wall. Good for you.:thumbsu:

Contra Mundum

To Know Nothing is the Happiest Life
10k Posts
Aug 1, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
Absolutely. I just find them harder to put up with. As a mostly liberal and progressive person, I probably come down on them harder for making everyone else look stupid. Like when I say we should move Australia Day, the people against it would assume I am one of "those". No. I am just sensible and have thought it through. I blame "those" for hijacking progressive ideals.

I totally get what you are saying. I live in North Melbourne which has a lot of SJW types - the smugness alone is suffocating. Can’t imagine what it would be like to be taught by someone like that

Whenever I have taught I was always glad someone cared enough to disagree with me

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Your rhetorical style is very sexy like Jordan himself.

Tell me is a standard a Map of the World an a accurate representation of the thing it represents - if it does not then why not - could it be the social and the geographical inform one another - or is that too post modern for you

Mercator is simply a projection that maps a globe onto a plane using a cylindrical representation. Any projection from a globe to 2D comes with a loss of information.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Only if the were CFMEU

Some workers fighting for a piece of the pie simply because they weren't fortunate enough to be born with it?

I think you have mistaken me for a conservative.

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sick burn - I don’t study social geography. You are very angry today

It’s funny you never say which Uni and what course you studied?

You’d probably lie but your exposure to actual humanities courses (rather Some internet fuelled American fever dream version) seems somewhat limited

You should post a bunch of links to academic papers(with the full blurb), that you don't understand... That will up your cred.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
He’s the product of spending a year watching YouTube videos.
I'm currently seeing this chick (believe it or not) and she's a kiwi studying science online from a uni in NZ. It's only early in the course, but so far every lecture has sent her off to view a youtube vid. As in a normal, publicly available YT vid.

If you had the discipline, and people to discuss content with, you could obtain a fair bit of human knowledge on the internet.

Aug 1, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I am a mentor/student sort of learner. If you have to duck and parry with your lecturer then it’s much more rewarding.

I work part time at Melbourne Uni in an LLM program - the entire student body has different politics to me

I wouldn't argue with that, if you are fortunate enough to find yourself with a great lecturer and tutor, in a subject you love, and you can really engage in open and challenging way with them - it is truly a gift you must treasure - and I am jealous. It is precisely that kind of relationship which can elevate your interest and understanding in the subject and potentially twist your entire life destiny around it.

But this is not always the case and I believe - anecdotally - it occurs far less in the humanities fields than anywhere else. Now whilst, Law is, of course, a humanities subject it is also a profession and is thus, unlike most Humanities subjects, forever confronted with and adapting to reality - within the court room, with legislative changes and interpretations which impact real people and their real life issues.

The English Literature department, on the other hand, is not burdened by reality and has often freely immersed itself - its professors and students - in a series of phantasmagorical and inscrutable interpretations without fear of being challenged. The philosophy department is not entirely immune to this and of course the cultural studies programs have long ago tossed the anchor of logic and reason overboard to ride the tide of sanctimony.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
What do you base that on?
It's a fairly well accepted idiom. You know the "If you're a conservative when you're young, you have no heart; if you're a liberal when you're old, you have no brain". I think most would agree it's been the younger generations who agitate for socially progressive change.

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's a fairly well accepted idiom. You know the "If you're a conservative when you're young, you have no heart; if you're a liberal when you're old, you have no brain". I think most would agree it's been the younger generations who agitate for socially progressive change.
I think that's my point. I've seen that idiom all over the place, but it contradicts my actual real life experience.
Outside of the idiom, would you say your experience is that people become more conservative, or less conservative?

Why do we blindly accept that idiom as the norm?

Back