MVP Tommy Boyd - The Grand Final Enigma

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe i read somewhere that he had a bulging disc in his back or something along those lines. I think it was reported late last season not long after he first injured it.

those dont get better, but the degeneration can be slowed by low impact exercise and avoiding any sports that involve a lot of running and jumping.

otherwise you just keep trimming the bulge surgically until its bone on bone.

Bryce Harper has won ZERO World Series, and just signed a 13 year, 330 million USD contract.

Bobby Bonilla retired in 2001. In 2011 the New York Mets baseball club started paying Bobby $1.19 million USD on July 1st, every year until 2035.

Thomas Boyd was the prime reason the Footscray/Western Bulldogs Football Club broke a 62 year premiership drought.

When the great man AKA The Messiah comes out of contract, I say we either give him a 10 year extension for $62 million Australian pesos,
or we defer the money and pay him $1 million dollars every year on Tom Boyd Day (date to be decided) for 62 years.

those dont get better, but the degeneration can be slowed by low impact exercise and avoiding any sports that involve a lot of running and jumping.

Lucky he doesnt play any sports involving running or jumping then

"If its mutually agreed on by both parties a contract can be terminated"... exactly my point. I don't think anyone is suggesting that an appropriate action would be for the club to be the party who breaks contract and get into a legal and pr battle with Tom and his manager. In any event there would have to be a clause in the contract which allows the club to take that avenue.

I'm not so sure that it's "very unlikely" Tom would choose to retire early, particularly if the back issues continue or mental health raises its head again. He has a premiership, nearly a norm smith and publicly stated he's seeking an identity outside of football. All the news I've read on Tom's contract is that it was front loaded, so he's also cashed up.

It's all a bit presumptuous at this point but I do hope the club is looking at all its options in case the situation doesn't improve by end of year.

The mutuality is just a negotiation ie at the end of 2019 Tom has 2 years and say $1.5m left, we both agree that he gets paid say $750k immediately and retires.

Tom gets to do something else and retire due to injury, we spead the $750k over 2020 and 2021 contracted seasons for salary cap purposes which is an advantage and both parties go seperate ways.

Isn't Carlisle going in for surgery for this same problem soon?

Coming from someone with a 23mm herniation on the S1 (me, Brisdog)- it can and will get better! There are many methods other than surgery to fix it up.

Coming from someone with a 23mm herniation on the S1 (me, Brisdog)- it can and will get better! There are many methods other than surgery to fix it up.

yeah me too. if I swim regularly I dont feel day to day pain, but its not 'better' its just not worse. But I couldnt do anything like an AFL players training regimen - Id be @$@#$@ed.

Disc herniations can definitely heal. They may take a little bit longer than other injuries, but the nucleus pulposus will resorb and the annulus fibrosis (outer ring) will heal. Many people can continue to feel back pain well after the disc has healed due to sensitisation of the nervous system and dysfunctional movement patterns. Here's a little blog with some good references if you're interested. https://www.consortiumphysio.co.uk/...bar-disc-protrusions-heal-on-their-own-accord

Disc herniations can definitely heal. They may take a little bit longer than other injuries, but the nucleus pulposus will resorb and the annulus fibrosis (outer ring) will heal. Many people can continue to feel back pain well after the disc has healed due to sensitisation of the nervous system and dysfunctional movement patterns. Here's a little blog with some good references if you're interested. https://www.consortiumphysio.co.uk/...bar-disc-protrusions-heal-on-their-own-accord

Mine must be different then, cos its permanent.

So if Boyd has only a herniation then if he doesnt play for most of the year he may recover fully. ok.

Sounds like a prolapsed disc which is a permanent issue. It can be managed with strengthening and or maybe surgery.

Time will tell if the medicos can get his body right. Just given the already lengthy rehab it's looking pretty grim for Tom.

It's entirely possible that we may have seen he best of Tom which would be a shame. I had hoped the '16 GF was Tom's breakout game similar to Hawkins. And become the KPF that we so need to straighten us up.

Sincerely hope he can make it back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had hoped the '16 GF was Tom's breakout game similar to Hawkins. And become the KPF that we so need to straighten us up.
Sincerely hope he can make it back.

Funny to mention Hawkins in a way cause he has also been plagued by back problems all his career. Still done alright though so hopefully a prophetic comparison.

The mutuality is just a negotiation ie at the end of 2019 Tom has 2 years and say $1.5m left, we both agree that he gets paid say $750k immediately and retires.

Tom gets to do something else and retire due to injury, we spead the $750k over 2020 and 2021 contracted seasons for salary cap purposes which is an advantage and both parties go seperate ways.
The situation most likely to occur if Boyd continues to struggle to get on the park this year imo. Might not be a bad outcome for both parties. From memory Red left in similar circumstances. Rumour had it that the delay of his retirement announcement was due to disagreement over the settlement amount.

I know you guys are taking the piss but nothing would surprise me in football these days. Stranger things have happened then Tommy finding his feet at full back.

probably not mobile enough but I dare say he'd have a better time intercept marking than he would at full forward, thats a different beast altogether. Good ball user, good in traffic, seems to read the play pretty well. I actually don't think its crazy haha, but again probably not mobile enough to work.

I'd probably argue that marking is more important than punching as a defender these days.
And I'd agree with you (initial reply was somewhat tongue in cheek). But we need to find something that Boyd can do, and my take on it is his inability to mark makes him a liability up forward, and his back issues mean his ruck days are numbered...might be selected in defense by process of elimination?

And I'd agree with you (initial reply was somewhat tongue in cheek). But we need to find something that Boyd can do, and my take on it is his inability to mark makes him a liability up forward, and his back issues mean his ruck days are numbered...might be selected in defense by process of elimination?
And yet he was no liability forward in the most important game this club has played in 70 years and was able to mark and goal under the intense scrutiny of a GF.

I personally think he's a fwd/ruck and nothing else. Also an enigma no doubt but the fact that cometh the hour cometh the man seems beyond dispute.

Could the answer, every year, be to let him play 3 to 4 warm up games as fwd/ruck between say rounds 15 to 23 and then finals if we make it.

What message does that send? Does it send any message or is it simply pragmatic? Stay tuned...or not...

Mason Cox is twice the footballer as Boyd. Easily. Think about that for a second.

Tom did his job, got paid and we are very thankful for it.

If he stays he should be on minimum $ otherwise move on... Quickly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back