NBN - Good or Bad

Remove this Banner Ad

So the other day I got an email from iiNet saying NBN will be in my area by June.

Today I get a knock on the door and its a guy from Lendlease saying he's doing it tomorrow. I say I rent so I cant give permission for him to dig a trench to the house.

I call my real estate agent and they literally say "Not in our brief, we dont want anything to do with it".

I then point out that if we dont get NBN we lose our ADSL because it gets shut off, and if we cant have internet then we would move out. And then I said I couldnt imagine anyone renting a place with no internet. I said that surely they are getting calls from other renters if its being rolled out in the neighbourhood.

Response was "yes, we say the same thing."

I then asked if they would contact the landlord and point all of this out then was told "oh just say yes, its just like Foxtel".

Anyone else rent and have issues like this?

Im on the phone to iiNet to ask them what happens once the box is installed. The wait time is "between 31 and 53 minutes".

And iiNet is the best ISP customer service in Australia ?!!?!

So the other day I got an email from iiNet saying NBN will be in my area by June.

Today I get a knock on the door and its a guy from Lendlease saying he's doing it tomorrow. I say I rent so I cant give permission for him to dig a trench to the house.

I call my real estate agent and they literally say "Not in our brief, we dont want anything to do with it".

I then point out that if we dont get NBN we lose our ADSL because it gets shut off, and if we cant have internet then we would move out. And then I said I couldnt imagine anyone renting a place with no internet. I said that surely they are getting calls from other renters if its being rolled out in the neighbourhood.

I then asked if they would contact the landlord and point all of this out then was told "oh just say yes, its just like Foxtel".

Im on the phone to iiNet to ask them what happens once the box is installed. The wait time is "between 31 and 53 minutes".

Officially Property Manager or Landlord has to give permission for the NBN to be connected - https://www.nbnco.com.au/residential/how-to-connect/preparing-for-the-nbn#renting

Telstra only ask you if you have approval, they don't ask you to prove it https://exchange.telstra.com.au/renters-guide-getting-nbn-connected/

Sounds like the REA doing the good old take the money avoid doing their job thing

Officially Property Manager or Landlord has to give permission for the NBN to be connected - https://www.nbnco.com.au/residential/how-to-connect/preparing-for-the-nbn#renting

Telstra only ask you if you have approval, they don't ask you to prove it https://exchange.telstra.com.au/renters-guide-getting-nbn-connected/

Sounds like the REA doing the good old take the money avoid doing their job thing

They did end up saying to go ahead and do it because it is like a Foxtel installation.

How soon after they hook up the NBN do they shut off the copper service? Im assuming I need to be pre-ordering my NBN router as soon as possible, because the ADSL will disappear at some point.

After 40 minutes on hold the South African iiNet customer support person tried to be helpful but didnt seem to offer any real assistance.

Pretty sure it's 2 years after NBN is made available

18 months. Just type “NBN cutoff” into your local google machine for clarification.

You will bombarded with stuff from NBN and RSPs marketing to you. The longer you wait, the more marketing you’ll be exposed to. (Whether you want it or not).

Do not, I repeat do not have anything to do with iiNet.

Their technical support is absolutely abysmal.

If the service is set up properly iinet is decent but if you need actual technical support they couldn't organise a root in a brothel. I've spent months trying to sort out issues with iinet for my mum. It's got to the point where I ask to speak to the complaints team and they hang up on me.

It started when iinet told her and me that fttn had been set up but after six weeks eventually nbnco technician came out and advised that iinet had never had the connection properly activated. There have been a heap of other issues!

The ones I'd look at are:

Superloop and Aussie Broadband. Both offer Australian customer service. Superloop are new kids on the block but the pedigree of their board and management is second to none.

I'm switching to Superloop this week.

One suave *

Last edited:

If the service is set up properly iinet is decent but if you need actual technical support they couldn't organise a root in a brothel. I've spent months trying to sort out issues with iinet for my mum. It's got to the point where I ask to speak to the complaints team and they hang up on me.

Superloop and Aussie Broadband. Both offer Australian customer service. Superloop are new kids on the block but the pedigree of their board and management is second to none.

One suave ****

Been with iiNet for 14 years would average a call every 3 or 4 years. Maybe.

Im on an old unlimited ADSL plan for $50. Their NBN 50 unlimited seems cheaper than Superloop.

But I need a 2 year contract to get the modem free.

Been with iiNet for 14 years would average a call every 3 or 4 years. Maybe.

Im on an old unlimited ADSL plan for $50. Their NBN 50 unlimited seems cheaper than Superloop.

But I need a 2 year contract to get the modem free.
As I said if the iinet service is working no problem but if you need actual nbn technical support it's worse than going through the seven plains of hell.

ADSL is relatively simple to support. iinet simply doesn't have the support model in place for the NBN.

I hope you're never put to the test with iinet support

You can thank TPG for wrecking a once great provider.

One suave *

If anyone is interested, somebody on the Whirlpool forums puts together a relatively frequently updated list of ISPs that use the better networks and are based in Australia (with those with Australian based call centres even more preferred) and what their current plans are which can be found here https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/2574362?p=30

Suoerloop vs iinet

50 Mbps unlimited service

Iinet two year contract for 79.95 per month with overseas "support". Owned by TPG.

Suoerloop 50mbps unlimited for $74.95 no lock in contract. Australian support and actual builder of their own network infrastructure. Independently Australian owned.

I know who I'd choose regardless of some low end router being thrown in.

One suave *

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? So they've gone downhill? What a shame. I had them for a few years when I was on ADSL2 and I thought their support was fantastic. I don't think I ever had to deal with technical support but whenever I had an issue with billing or anything else they were great. This was a while ago though and only switched to Telstra 7 or 8 years ago when I moved to a place on cable.

Support is bog average but for all the bad cred Telstra get it has been super reliable and I'll be sticking with them when I move over to NBN. It rolled out here in February last year but I have switched over yet as we were planning on moving house late last year. That didn't happen but hopefully will this year, need to do it within the next 6 months though otherwise I'll get switched off. I've been getting NBN speeds for a cheaper price anyway but late last year they discontinued my package and my bill went up :'(

Really? So they've gone downhill? What a shame. I had them for a few years when I was on ADSL2 and I thought their support was fantastic. I don't think I ever had to deal with technical support but whenever I had an issue with billing or anything else they were great. This was a while ago though and only switched to Telstra 7 or 8 years ago when I moved to a place on cable.

Support is bog average but for all the bad cred Telstra get it has been super reliable and I'll be sticking with them when I move over to NBN. It rolled out here in February last year but I have switched over yet as we were planning on moving house late last year. That didn't happen but hopefully will this year, need to do it within the next 6 months though otherwise I'll get switched off. I've been getting NBN speeds for a cheaper price anyway but late last year they discontinued my package and my bill went up :'(
Yes really.

Since the TPG takeover of iinet they've lost the support they used to have.

One suave *

Australia slips to 60th spot in world broadband speeds, falling behind developing nations
Australia has plummeted down worldwide broadband rankings again, falling to 60th place for download speeds behind our neighbours New Zealand, China, and even nine developing nations.
In 60th spot, down from 55th position last year, Australia was beaten on broadband speeds by nine developing countries, including Kosovo, Thailand, Serbia, and Belarus.

It started when iinet told her and me that fttn had been set up but after six weeks eventually nbnco technician came out and advised that iinet had never had the connection properly activated. There have been a heap of other issues!

One suave ****

Can confirm iiNet support is horrendous. I was with them for 11 years on ADSL2, only ever had one issue that needed support a few years ago and it was a port rebuild that fixed it. Then about a year ago, my speeds plummeted and so did their support. Got so much run around, had to go through the hoops of having their tech come out to test, then escalate to Telstra, then wait as they test phone line first, then they test for ADSL after that. It was a month cycle of this, for speeds to return for a handful of days and then it happened again. Rinse and repeat. Lost my s**t, threatened telco ombudsman reporting (a work colleague used to work for iiNet and said you have to go that route, it scares the s**t out of them). Finally got it sent to a case manager and had to continually argue with him back and forth just to get refunded for two months of wasted internet. Ditched them and went to a 4G provider (Ovo, who have been decent in the year I've been using them).

My area finally got NBN last month, so have hooked up from today. Went with Aussie Broadband. Seems decent, got the first month free. If it turns to s**t, I at least have Ovo as a backup and can recharge that if it's needed. I half suspect the ADSL2 speeds went to s**t because of NBN work, too. :p

Also, if you're just signing up to a contract for a free modem, I'm pretty sure the cancellation fee is the price of the modem anyway. So if it's s**t, you're just buying the hardware you got for "free".

I half suspect the ADSL2 speeds went to s**t because of NBN work, too. :p

Also, if you're just signing up to a contract for a free modem, I'm pretty sure the cancellation fee is the price of the modem anyway. So if it's s**t, you're just buying the hardware you got for "free".
My ADSl speeds went to s**t for a few months before NBN and when I got NBN I craved my s**t ADSL2 speeds and its stability.

I was on a contract with Telstra they just kept it going at the same price with my pre included discounts and a free modem.
Ive complained about s**t speeds and got $10 off a month

My ADSl speeds went to s**t for a few months before NBN and when I got NBN I craved my s**t ADSL2 speeds and its stability.

I was on a contract with Telstra they just kept it going at the same price with my pre included discounts and a free modem.
Ive complained about s**t speeds and got $10 off a month

My ADSL2 speeds, at best, weren't great. If NBN delivered me less than that, I'd just go back to 4G with Ovo.

3hCUl0k.jpg

THE MONTHLY

Yes really.

Since the TPG takeover of iinet they've lost the support they used to have.

One suave ****
this does not surprise one iota. I switched from TPG to iiNet years ago, partly because TPG had such diabolical service. At least once I raised the issues with iiNet they sent guys around to analyse the faults. It still took four visits and the ombudsman before Telstra fixed one of the two line faults hundreds of metres Telstra side of the building.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back