Preview JLT1: Dockers vs Collingdidnt, Monday 4th March

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don't think Ryan is injured at all is he, not even a suggestion of it?

See the West article from Duffield - reportedly heavy strapping on his shin and a severe limp at training. Not a major injury - sounds like a shin corky. Not training at all.

Logue - strapping around his hamstring and also limping and not training.

Swita’s mouthstring injury unconfirmed diagnosis and observed walking laps at training. Hopefully not long term.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Cox kicked three goals in first half. Hogan went to bench in early third. Cox kick no more goals. Possibly a correlation there. Plus Cox looked to be carrying a knock to his wrist - could see him avoiding putting weight on it when picking himself up off the ground.

Hogans value won’t just be the goals he kicks for us, but just a better performing offence in general. I don’t care if Hogan kicks no goals if Cox kicks 60

Wrist/hand/finger - there was definitely an issue there and noted by afl.com.au. He dropped sharp marking chance in the last quarter and stayed down playing with his wrist/fingers for a while but kept on going. He seemed none to happy with it after that dropped mark.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Did Swita have any history of hamstring problems before he entered an AFL program?
Given his struggles in 2017, being finally selected by the Dockers was actually a bit of surprise.

Switkowski had a challenging season in the VFL, playing just 12 games.

Glandular fever and a recurring hamstring injury kept him on the sidelines, but what he did in his 12 games was enough to catch the eye of Fremantle's recruiting team.

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
See the West article from Duffield - reportedly heavy strapping on his shin and a severe limp at training. Not a major injury - sounds like a shin corky. Not training at all.

Swita’s mouthstring injury unconfirmed diagnosis and observed walking laps at training. Hopefully not long term.

I think Luke Ryan is undergoing some experimental surgical procedure to turn him into a footballing version of robocop... at least that’s my take from his insta post

EBD2A2E6-8C49-4A0E-9F44-67D33E090734.png

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle

What training session was that? They didn't train today, was there a session earlier in the week?

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Funky selection of stats. Mind you the Saints twice bettered 60 i50's in a game in 2009, scoring 25.11 and 17.12, not bad scores.
Depends on the opponent.

Ross’s coaching career has been plagued by having teams that can make good field position and dominate all areas of the ground except the scoreboard.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Depends on the opponent.

Ross’s coaching career has been plagued by having teams that can make good field position and dominate all areas of the ground except the scoreboard.
Is that so? Perhaps it's for the best you've moved away from trying to use a veneer of "stats" to cling to your pov, not really a strong suit.

I would guess your point from that highly selective use of stats was that i50's are irrelevant to any increase in scoring for Lyon's coaching. I'd need to have a bigger sample to make any firm conclusions, but 2009 would suggest generally the more the better for scoring. Also more i50's might be more helpful to scoring than less.

Given the skinny supply last year, the big increase over the weekend suggests there are changes to the plan to aid scoring. We'll have to see how solid that is, but it'd be churlish to not see that as a more attacking approach.

Rion

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is that so? Perhaps it's for the best you've moved away from trying to use a veneer of "stats" to cling to your pov, not really a strong suit.

I would guess your point from that highly selective use of stats was that i50's are irrelevant to any increase in scoring for Lyon's coaching. I'd need to have a bigger sample to make any firm conclusions, but 2009 would suggest generally the more the better for scoring. Also more i50's might be more helpful to scoring than less.

Given the skinny supply last year, the big increase over the weekend suggests there are changes to the plan to aid scoring. We'll have to see how solid that is, but it'd be churlish to not see that as a more attacking approach.

I'd rather we worked on improving on our efficiency I50 over just 'getting it in there'. I don't think against the better teams in the season proper we're going to be getting the type of midfield dominance that'll allow us to go for this type of quantity over quality approach.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'd rather we worked on improving on our efficiency I50 over just 'getting it in there'. I don't think against the better teams in the season proper we're going to be getting the type of midfield dominance that'll allow us to go for this type of quantity over quality approach.
Absolutely, but it's fair to say in preseason of a new forward line and new game style, it's a work in progress.

It's also not unreasonable to assume the rapid ball movement (indicated by increase in i50's) shows intent, while the finesse of connection with forwards can take more time to build.

If it was easy every one would be doing it.

Are you suggesting that on Monday we had midfield dominance over Collingwood?

We got high inside 50s despite getting killed in the middle. If we dominate the middle we might get cleaner i50s.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
Are you suggesting that on Monday we had midfield dominance over Collingwood?

We got high inside 50s despite getting killed in the middle. If we dominate the middle we might get cleaner i50s.
I wouldn't call it dominance, but we were far from killed in the middle. We lost the hit outs, but won clearances, stoppages, contested possessions and tackles - I'd say that was a good win for us considering the quality of the Collingwood midfield.

The worrying thing is the disparity in overall disposals, which goes back to our old "Hawthorn" issue that we turn the ball over and once the opposition gets the ball we don't seem able to get it back!

1551921192839.png

I wouldn't call it dominance, but we were far from killed in the middle. We lost the hit outs, but won clearances, stoppages, contested possessions and tackles - I'd say that was a good win for us considering the quality of the Collingwood midfield.

The worrying thing is the disparity in overall disposals, which goes back to our old "Hawthorn" issue that we turn the ball over and once the opposition gets the ball we don't seem able to get it back!

View attachment 630720
We'll meet in between. Killed is a bit harsh but when Sidey, Pendles, Beams and Phillips get 118 between them, the midfield had a fair day out.

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle

I’m not backing off from anything, running up score against a crap team is meaningless.

Ross has serious flaws in his style, yet 13 years into his senior career people still want to pretend he’s about to unleash something new. When does the gloss come off?

Last edited:

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle

View attachment 630720

Jeeps our " OLD Hawthorn issue " ??????????

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’m not backing off from anything, running up score against a crap team is meaningless.

Ross has serious flaws in his style, yet 13 years into his senior career people still want tor pretend he’s about to unleash something new. When does the gloss come off?
Here's a little question to ponder on a rainy Wednesday arvo

If Belly and Rosco swapped roles tomorrow would Freo be better , worse or the same in 2019 ?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back