Connecting to 4G modem via ethernet cable

Remove this Banner Ad

Hello peeps,

I'm going to buy a 4G modem that I can stick my sim in and broadcast wirelessly around my apartment. I'd also like to be able to connect via ethernet to it but they don't seem to make 4G modems with sim card slots that contain ethernet ports.

So, if I buy one, will it be possible to somehow attach another device, a router or whatever, such that I can then connect to the internet via ethernet? I have a desktop and a laptop and the desktop I prefer to connect via ethernet since it doesn't have a wireless card.

Hello peeps,

I'm going to buy a 4G modem that I can stick my sim in and broadcast wirelessly around my apartment. I'd also like to be able to connect via ethernet to it but they don't seem to make 4G modems with sim card slots that contain ethernet ports.

So, if I buy one, will it be possible to somehow attach another device, a router or whatever, such that I can then connect to the internet via ethernet? I have a desktop and a laptop and the desktop I prefer to connect via ethernet since it doesn't have a wireless card.

You can buy 4G modem docks

http://www.netgear.com.au/home/products/mobile-broadband/hotspots/AirCardSmartCradle.aspx

Ouch on the price. The one I'm planning on getting is about 100 AUD, broadcasts a wireless signal to I think up to 12 devices.

I think I'll just use this and connect everything to it wirelessly, except the computer which I'll connect to it via USB.

I was using 4G modem and had the same requirements, then my friend suggested me modem "4G LTE Modem with Dual Ethernet Ports" on Netgear.
Here you check it with its features.
https://www.netgear.com.au/home/products/mobile-broadband/lte-modems/LB2120.aspx

We install these quite a bit for our business clients with offsite requirements for projects.

The thing to note is that it doesn't offer WiFi, it's a SIM modem with an Ethernet port for connecting to a local network, and then a WAN port for pushing through an existing internet connection to run it as a backup (you likely won't use this feature).

So if you're thinking of something like this you'll still need a WiFi access point/router to plug into the LAN port. The setup would be:
- SIM on Netgear LB2120, which performs the routing function
- Existing WiFi access point/router connected into Netgear LB2120

Note that if you're connecting an existing router that has WiFi in it (like most standard WiFi routers you buy off a retail shelf), you need to connect the WAN port (not the LAN) on the existing router to the LAN port (not WAN) on the Netgear LB2120.

Good luck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back