Social Science Things that please me - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got 10 years worth of blu-rays to back up next. Thankfully that's not an extensive collection (lucky to buy 10 blu-rays a year if that!).
That's fascinating, but not as disturbing as your signature.
To each their own though, carry on.

What sort of tech are you using for your backups? Are you converting the backups to anything or just storing the vobs?

DVD Fab to the rescue :D

I've been backing up my collection since 2006 (technically started my dvd collection in 1997!). This was a full scale operation (long story but I was backing up months worth of dvd purchases back in October last year.... had a hard drive failure which resulted in losing the progress I made. Thus while playing catch up and re-copying the same dvds, I decided to have a dvd clean out - which I generally do once or twice a year which led me to backing up my older dvd titles (some I never bothered to copy back in 2006).

I'm storing the vob's/file structures for now, but will convert them to .iso's and other video formats when I can be bothered in the future. In 2006 - 2010 I was just happy with backing them up to dvds (the dual layer blank dvds were not cheap back then!). I got a WDTV media device in 2010 which then led to me copying the purchased dvd to a hard drive, then converting the vob files to .iso format.

When I buy a new dvd I'll generally copy it to my computer with DVD Fab, then use dvdshrink (old school!!) to make the iso of the movie or tv show episodes. Then depending what else I want to watch the movie or tv series episode on (be it the PSP, or Samsung Tablet etc) I'll make different file formats to suit the device I'll watch the media on.

I replaced the WDTV Media Player with an NVidia Shield in December, the Shield is fantastic :D

I've been backing up my collection since 2006 (technically started my dvd collection in 1997!). This was a full scale operation (long story but I was backing up months worth of dvd purchases back in October last year.... had a hard drive failure which resulted in losing the progress I made. Thus while playing catch up and re-copying the same dvds, I decided to have a dvd clean out - which I generally do once or twice a year which led me to backing up my older dvd titles (some I never bothered to copy back in 2006).

I'm storing the vob's/file structures for now, but will convert them to .iso's and other video formats when I can be bothered in the future. In 2006 - 2010 I was just happy with backing them up to dvds (the dual layer blank dvds were not cheap back then!). I got a WDTV media device in 2010 which then led to me copying the purchased dvd to a hard drive, then converting the vob files to .iso format.

When I buy a new dvd I'll generally copy it to my computer with DVD Fab, then use dvdshrink (old school!!) to make the iso of the movie or tv show episodes. Then depending what else I want to watch the movie or tv series episode on (be it the PSP, or Samsung Tablet etc) I'll make different file formats to suit the device I'll watch the media on.

I replaced the WDTV Media Player with an NVidia Shield in December, the Shield is fantastic :D
Plex?
I got Nividia too

Plex?
I got Nividia too

Just Kodi, I don't stream off the computer hard drive............. I've got a few external hdd's of all of my content. It's actually amusing to me that back when I first started doing this 250gb was the lowest hard drive size I could get. Now the lowest is 4TB (while the largest size I've seen is 10-12tb) - my mind is blown

Just Kodi, I don't stream off the computer hard drive............. I've got a few external hdd's of all of my content. It's actually amusing to me that back when I first started doing this 250gb was the lowest hard drive size I could get. Now the lowest is 4TB (while the largest size I've seen is 10-12tb) - my mind is blown
Do you have an add on keyboard or just remote?

Saw them in 2010 and thought they were awesome. Not sure if they would be the same without Glenn Frey
They were my first concert in 2004 as a 17 year old. I also saw them in 2010.

They were very good last night.

Deacon Frey sounds and looks exactly like Glenn.

Cool!
Ha - DvdShrink! I haven't used that for years!
Last lot of backups I did I was using an old version of DVD Decrypter. But Adobe bought that and promptly disappeared it years ago. So good to know about DVD Fab Thanks.
Having a networked media server is such a game changer when you've a big library like it sounds like you do. I have a Thecus running Plex and have the Plex client installed on my Samsung TV and iPad. It's awesome.

My next issue is that I have the '61 to '91 Hawk Premierships on VHS that I need to preserve. And of course I no longer have a VCR.

Anyway - thanks for letting me know about DVDFab - I've got a few DVDs that I never watch because physical media shits me. Could be time to back them up onto the Thecus!

Cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were my first concert in 2004 as a 17 year old. I also saw them in 2010.

They were very good last night.

Deacon Frey sounds and looks exactly like Glenn.

What's the makeup of the Eagles these days? I remember reading that some hatchets were buried...

Cool!
Last lot of backups I did I was using an old version of DVD Decrypter. But Adobe bought that and promptly disappeared it years ago. So good to know about DVD Fab Thanks.
Having a networked media server is such a game changer when you've a big library like it sounds like you do. I have a Thecus running Plex and have the Plex client installed on my Samsung TV and iPad. It's awesome.

My next issue is that I have the '61 to '91 Hawk Premierships on VHS that I need to preserve. And of course I no longer have a VCR.

Anyway - thanks for letting me know about DVDFab - I've got a few DVDs that I never watch because physical media shits me. Could be time to back them up onto the Thecus!

Cheers

I never really stopped using DVDShrink despite it not being supported, it still works on Windows 7 & Windows 10 :D. Yes there are other ISO making programs around, but I fly through DVDShrink's menus and it's done relatively quickly.

I thought DVDFab was the next evolution from DVD Decrypter. It's a program I've been using for many years, I only upgraded to a current version of it (I do pay for my software!!) in July last year.... many years after using my last paid for version back in 2012. I never bothered buying a new version of it until last year as despite the previous version being so ancient.............. it still copied every dvd I processed through it. Something I found surprising as Universal/Disney/Paramount would come up with a new wiz-bang copy protection method that resulted in DVDFab needing to update to circumvent the new copy protection. Yet I copied many blockbusters (eg: the Marvel movies) through it.

Slysoft (now known as Redfox) Anydvd is another good program. I purchased a limited licence version of it back in 2009/2010 when DVDFab couldn't copy a few titles (eg: the first Transformers movie).

I recommend just buying a Hawthorn premiership collection instead of converting from vhs to dvd or vhs to a hard drive :p.

And a media server is something I've looked into. As technologically savvy as I am, it's foreign to me. At one stage I was going to get one of those NUC pc-s and have a mini media box (tv tuner card as well etc).

What's the makeup of the Eagles these days? I remember reading that some hatchets were buried...
Vince Gill has also rejoined. He took the lead on a lot of songs Frey would sing. He was fantastic too.

Henley, Walsh, Schmidt, Gill, Frey and Stuart Smith - he's been with them since early 2000s. Unreal guitar player.

I recommend just buying a Hawthorn premiership collection instead of converting from vhs to dvd or vhs to a hard drive :p.

Yeah - that's probably the most sensible approach. Just makes my Scottish heritage twitch. :D

Cool!

Cheers

i run a networked media server and Plex on my Samsung and Panasonic TV's, i mainly have TV shows and some movies on mine, makes it so much easier, even the missus knows how to work it, i dont if i could be arsed backing up my dvd's and Blu-ray/4k Blu-ray movies, i still have a VCR player and VHS tapes, but i have some videos on beta that i need to back up, but mum threw away my beta player :mad:

i run a networked media server and Plex on my Samsung and Panasonic TV's, i mainly have TV shows and some movies on mine, makes it so much easier, even the missus knows how to work it, i dont if i could be arsed backing up my dvd's and Blu-ray/4k Blu-ray movies, i still have a VCR player and VHS tapes, but i have some videos on beta that i need to back up, but mum threw away my beta player :mad:

Beta!
Respek mon :cool:

Ive got all the DVD of the Grand Finals but got digital copies off Youtube including a few other finals in HD some of them
Just get a free youtube downloader (firefox has a few)

Ive got all the DVD of the Grand Finals but got digital copies off Youtube including a few other finals in HD some of them
Just get a free youtube downloader (firefox has a few)

CHEAPSKATE!!

In fairness I've also got a few youtube rips of matches I already have on dvd :p

I adore the Fox Footy HD rip of the 2013 grand final :D.

I have one too, old PC's that work don't need anymore make fantastic media servers. bought the lifetime plex pass too and now my library has different accounts for everyone that has access to it

I've got about 150 video tapes that I need to convert to digital. started the process a while ago but windows 10 happened and it wasn't compatible with my tuner card anymore. put a stop to that for the time being unfortunately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back