Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warner
Harris
Burns
Smith
Head
Patterson
Paine
Cummins
Lyon
Richardson
Hazlewood

Extended Squad: Bancroft, Wade, Labuschange, Starc, Bird

Usman doesn’t cut it for me. Shithouse all summer, did nothing other than score a token century when we were already leading by 500 runs against Sri Lanka’s B side

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Warner
Harris
Burns
Smith
Head
Patterson
Paine
Cummins
Lyon
Richardson
Hazlewood

Extended Squad: Bancroft, Wade, Labuschange, Starc, Bird

Usman doesn’t cut it for me. Shithouse all summer, did nothing other than score a token century when we were already leading by 500 runs against Sri Lanka’s B side

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What has Labuschagne done then to impress you?

39.3 is really getting technical. He had multiple 1000+ run Shield seasons. If someone was putting up those numbers now they'd walk into the Australian Test team

klinger participated in 16 australian fc summers and he averaged over 40 in 5 of them. klinger's real talent was his tendency to dish out a double ton, 5 of them, but you can hardly push your way into the team when no-one has any idea if in the upcoming summer you're gonna average over 70, or below 25, or average 35 and not score any tons until the 2nd last game of the season where you hit 219* (his 2011/12 season)

Could the infamous Nick Maddinson back-door his way into an Ashes berth?

He was garbage in the Big Bash (not that we should be basing Test selection on this anyway), but his Shield form has been undeniable (albeit limited) this summer - 3 matches, 5 innings, 445 runs @ 111.25 average (3 hundreds, 0 fifties), 61.46 strike rate.

39.3 is really getting technical. He had multiple 1000+ run Shield seasons. If someone was putting up those numbers now they'd walk into the Australian Test team

klinger participated in 16 australian fc summers and he averaged over 40 in 5 of them. klinger's real talent was his tendency to dish out a double ton, 5 of them, but you can hardly push your way into the team when no-one has any idea if in the upcoming summer you're gonna average over 70, or below 25, or average 35 and not score any tons until the 2nd last game of the season where you hit 219* (his 2011/12 season)

A career Shield average of 38.68 (or 34.83 runs per innings, when you remove the average-boosting not outs) isn't really anything special in isolation. It's the longevity that is the most noteable thing about Klinger, and the development over time.

Holy Moises Henriques firming for an all-rounder spot too:

Current Shield Season
Batting - 41.23 average (1 hundred, 2 fifties, 1 duck), 70.24 strike rate

Bowling - 18.75 average, 37.50 trike rate, 3.00 economy rate (0 5-fers)

Career Shield record

Batting - 36.93 average (8 hundreds, 14 fifties, 12 ducks)

Bowling - 32.72 average, 61.49 strike rate, 3.19 economy rate (1 5-fer)

Inb4 "Are you Mark Waugh?"

Please not Bird, he is bog ordinary against everyone except the Redbacks where he becomes Akram.

Holy Moises Henriques firming for an all-rounder spot too:

Current Shield Season
Batting - 41.23 average (1 hundred, 2 fifties, 1 duck), 70.24 strike rate

Bowling - 18.75 average, 37.50 trike rate, 3.00 economy rate (0 5-fers)

Career Shield record

Batting - 36.93 average (8 hundreds, 14 fifties, 12 ducks)

Bowling - 32.72 average, 61.49 strike rate, 3.19 economy rate (1 5-fer)

Inb4 "Are you Mark Waugh?"

It's a shame how he's turned out. Was a very good bowler as a junior but has fallen off mainly due to injuries...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's my go (in the team in red, in the squad in blue, considered but not included black):

TOP ORDER BATTERS: Warner, Burns, Bancroft, Harris, Renshaw, Khawaja, Finch
MIDDLE ORDER BATTERS: Smith, Patterson, Head, Maxwell, Labuschagne, Wade, Marsh (Shaun), Handscomb
ALL-ROUNDERS: Henriques, Stoinis, Marsh (Mitch)
KEEPERS: Paine, Carey, Wade, Nevill
QUICKS: Hazelwood, Starc, Cummins, Richardson, Tremain, Worrall, Sayers, Siddle, Bird
SPINNERS: Lyon, O'Keefe, Holland

Team
1. Warner
2. Burns
3. Bancroft
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Patterson
7. Paine (C)
8. Cummins (VC)
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazelwood

Plus Squad: Harris, Maxwell, Henriques, Carey, Richardson, Tremain, O'Keefe

Here's my go (in the team in red, in the squad in blue, considered but not included black):

MIDDLE ORDER BATTERS: Smith, Patterson, Head, Maxwell, Labuschagne, Wade, Marsh (Shaun), Handscomb
QUICKS: Hazelwood, Starc, Cummins, Richardson, Tremain, Worrall, Sayers, Siddle, Bird

Team
1. Warner
2. Burns
3. Bancroft
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Patterson
7. Paine (C)
8. Cummins (VC)
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazelwood

Good post Bob

If that was the selected team I would make a couple of swaps

Warner
Bancroft
Patterson
Smith
Head
Burns
etc

As I have said before I am worried about Burns with the swinging ball at the start against Anderson and co....Reckon Burns has the game for a middle order role

Team
1. Warner
2. Burns
3. Bancroft
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Patterson
7. Paine (C)
8. Cummins (VC)
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazelwood

I like that team to,as I keep saying Maxwell should be at least in the squad.Not sure about O'Keefe but no other spinners stand out.

I like that team to,as I keep saying Maxwell should be at least in the squad.Not sure about O'Keefe but no other spinners stand out.

Doubt we will take a second spinner. Have one on so called standby, might be a Holland or what not.

It’s a 5 test series. We will 100% be taking a second spinner.

I doubt it. They would have one who is playing in County cricket as standby. It is why I expect Laubasgne to go (spare bat) as he can bowl his leg spinners.

We aren’t taking a 20+ man squad. The squad is 17 (just call it 16 as the last spot is the reserve keeper). They will fly someone over if they get a serious injury. Even so in the hypothetical that Lyon goes down I’d be playing 4 quicks, the next lot of spinners are either not ready or not good (Holland/OKeefe). Use Head to bowl part time spin.

Second spinner will be Holland. He's been the second spinner for the last 3 overseas tours (I believe) and was selected in the A game ahead of O'Keefe, and their Shield records are near on identical.

I doubt it. They would have one who is playing in County cricket as standby. It is why I expect Laubasgne to go (spare bat) as he can bowl his leg spinners.

We aren’t taking a 20+ man squad. The squad is 17 (just call it 16 as the last spot is the reserve keeper). They will fly someone over if they get a serious injury. Even so in the hypothetical that Lyon goes down I’d be playing 4 quicks, the next lot of spinners are either not ready or not good (Holland/OKeefe). Use Head to bowl part time spin.
What happens if Lyon does a McGrath and rolls his ankle during the warm up of day 1 of the first test? There is no way we only take one spinner.

What happens if Lyon does a McGrath and rolls his ankle during the warm up of day 1 of the first test? There is no way we only take one spinner.

Play 4 quicks. The other spin options are poor anyway. Honestly who is there?

Swepson- not ready
Boyce- average in long form
Zampa- terrible in long form
OKeefe- would they even go back there? His bowling would be pedestrian over there anyway.
Holland- average at best.

Rather use Head as the so called spinner and play an extra quick whether that be Richardson, Bird, etc.

It would surprise me to take a second spinner in the squad. You may be right but I wouldn’t take one. Take Laubaushgne as a spare bat as coverage or Maxwell. Both can bowl spin.

Play 4 quicks. The other spin options are poor anyway. Honestly who is there?

Swepson- not ready
Boyce- average in long form
Zampa- terrible in long form
OKeefe- would they even go back there? His bowling would be pedestrian over there anyway.
Holland- average at best.

Rather use Head as the so called spinner and play an extra quick whether that be Richardson, Bird, etc.

It would surprise me to take a second spinner in the squad. You may be right but I wouldn’t take one. Take Laubaushgne as a spare bat as coverage or Maxwell. Both can bowl spin.
I agree that the other options are trash, but just can’t see the selectors leaving themselves vulnerable picking only one spinner.

I agree that the other options are trash, but just can’t see the selectors leaving themselves vulnerable picking only one spinner.

Just seems a waste. Imagine England seeing a team with one of those spinners...they’d be saying “you Beauty”. They might name one I just don’t agree with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back