MRP / Trib. 2023 MRP Lotto

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AFL would love him. He's incredibly consistent - he makes the decisions they want him to. Literally a cardboard cutout for the AFL board & PR teams.

I'm not convinced the AFL love him. Sure, they want someone to make their decisions, but I would suggest with more subtlety.

He looked extremely stupid when he was rolled on appeal every week for about 4 weeks and his decisions were made to look like clumsy, incoherent, inconsistent nonsense. By association, the AFL looked stupid and I'm sure they hated that.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
nah they got nothing on your melts

Yet, here you are constantly responding to me about non football issues. I don't remember a single contribution about football that you have ever made.

Let's face it, I'm your reason to exist.

Hootini

Team Captain
Jun 9, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yet, here you are constantly responding to me about non football issues. I don't remember a single contribution about football that you have ever made.

Let's face it, I'm your reason to exist.
uh huh, and how is that god complex?
anyway you've told me im on ignore a bunch of times so perhaps you doth protest too much.

The real joke is that Michael Christian still has the gig. I would have thought that after his clownishly incompetent efforts last year, the AFL would have quietly moved him on during the off season and just hoped no-one would notice.
Pretty sure I saw him at a school parents' welcome drinks night a few weeks ago. Took a lot of restraint not to jump the bar and have a few quiet words about Shaun Higgins.

I'm not convinced the AFL love him. Sure, they want someone to make their decisions, but I would suggest with more subtlety.

He looked extremely stupid when he was rolled on appeal every week for about 4 weeks and his decisions were made to look like clumsy, incoherent, inconsistent nonsense. By association, the AFL looked stupid and I'm sure they hated that.

Sure but you can't put lipstick on a pig and expect it to wow the boys. What they want is impossible, what they need is clear rules, precedent and an independent process - which they won't accept so we'll be stuck with this nothing system until they face the fact that they can't manufacture every result they want for PR purposes.

All you need to know is the same bloke determined that Tom Mitchell jumping off the ground 50m off the ball to elbow someone in the head was less serious than a relatively innocuous tackle.
Afl is a joke these days.
The brownlow is sacrosanct.

One suave *

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still amazing how 1 knobjockey gets to make these decisions. The bloke is the definition of incompetence.
Is it just one bloke? Doesn't he go through every decision with Hocking?

I don't get he outrage. The AFL has made it clear, if you tackle someone to the ground and they hit their head, you will be held responsible. Driving someone into the ground has a high probability of causing head injury and the AFL can't be seen to allow this. They have to cover their own butt from any possible litigation in the future. It's the way it is, it's the way it's always going to be. Get used to it.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I don't get he outrage. The AFL has made it clear, if you tackle someone to the ground and they hit their head, you will be held responsible. Driving someone into the ground has a high probability of causing head injury and the AFL can't be seen to allow this. They have to cover their own butt from any possible litigation in the future. It's the way it is, it's the way it's always going to be. Get used to it.

Not really an outrge mate, there is no consistency, people will get hurt when playing a full contact sport. the purpose is to tackle people to the ground, how else are you meant to tackle someone falling with momentum if you can tackle the arms or the legs? there isn't much left.

If the afl wants to protect themselves then make the players wear protective gear.

Higgins got knocked out last year and nothing happened, accidental bump wouldnt have happened if he tackled.

Anyway whatever.

As the first reply suggests, you're correct in what you say but you've missed the point. What people don't like is the inconsistency that borders on blatant fraud. Burton on Higgins, Cotchin on Shiel, and many others escaped sanction, but then many football accidents were penalised.

Anyway, my view is that it's a contact sport and participants know the risks. Unfortunately, this litigious world allows people to blame others when they should accept the consequences of their own decisions. If I was advising the AFL, I would have it written into every contract that players/clubs accept liability/costs associated with injuries suffered whilst playing or training. Of course, if an injury was suffered in illegal circumstances, e.g. assault (like Gaff on Brayshaw), then action against the perpetrator is an option (this doesn't need to be in contracts).

spongebucket

All Australian
Jun 18, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NBA, F1, EPL
Should get a few weeks for this. No place for a bit of “hero” behind the ball when your team is getting slaughtered. Very, very poor and very, very stupid

If the AFL are serious and consistent, is there any difference between Liam Jones hit on Jack Riewoldt (who mind you escaped with a fine) and Ben's hit on Nathan Wilson. I would say NO.

If Ben gets a week the system is rigged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back