Injury 2019 Injuries

Remove this Banner Ad

The dogs injury list so far is pretty good this season compared to previous ones and some teams.

Now you have gone and done it....

Never ever think that thought, let alone speak or type it.....

Mods - perma ban please....

It’s his decision at the end of the day isn’t it? Surely we have done our due dilegnence.
I agree that we would do our due diligence but it is the known unknowns around head injuries that concern me. Docs can only make assessments on what current medicine knows.

I will be relieved if he were to retire now.

Latest update:

- JJ out of moon boot, returning to training in first few weeks of season.
- Webb likely available early season too
- Bailey Dale (ankle) back to full training next couple of weeks
- Timeframe for Boyd to get back to full training currently estimated at 8-12 weeks
- Jong (6-8 weeks) and Khamis (4-6 weeks) recovering as expected

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/...JDJZHHSpbKPsvloEHhGLqaDGMP1VFRHbj7IASFPe5SQzk

JJ now appears unlikely for Round 1 now, despite previous prognosis.

No word on Picko, which is disappointing.

Boyd up to 12 weeks before full training. This is unbelievable, considering he has had since August to recover. Sounds like an enormous issue.

Boyd up to 12 weeks before full training. This is unbelievable, considering he has had since August to recover. Sounds like an enormous issue.
JJ's injury was always going to be problematical for Round 1. This sounds more realistic.

Caught up with someone connected to the medical dept today who had the following to say:

Were virtually injury free all pre season until Bevo put on 4 90 minute plus match simulations (full umpires etc) within 9 days. Lots of little injuries to guys like Duryea that had to be treated and of course JJ and Jong. Medical dept pretty disappointed they put the players through so much load in a short period.

Jong’s Injury was because an VFL top up player was too aggressive and knocked him well after he disposed of it. Hamstring torn from bone

JJ back round 3/4

Was actually pretty bullish on Boyd, he’ll be back

Caught up with someone connected to the medical dept today who had the following to say:

Were virtually injury free all pre season until Bevo put on 4 90 minute plus match simulations (full umpires etc) within 9 days. Lots of little injuries to guys like Duryea that had to be treated and of course JJ and Jong. Medical dept pretty disappointed they put the players through so much load in a short period.

Jong’s Injury was because an VFL top up player was too aggressive and knocked him well after he disposed of it. Hamstring torn from bone

JJ back round 3/4

Interesting if true (and I'm not disputing it at this stage).
It shows that player strength & conditioning and medical care is a much more complex issue than many here would have us believe. ("Our S&C people must be s**t because we get so many injuries", "We must have the worst medicos in the league" etc)

At the same time some have been querying why we didn't play interclub practice matches. Yet here we have evidence of nearly four full games worth of intra-club matches which we scarcely knew about.

So what do we do ... sack Bevo? Of course not - he's trying to get us cherry ripe for Round 1 and maybe keeping the wraps on his game plans for 2019.

At the same time he's got to learn to strike a balance if such an intense workload is going to decimate our squad. I hope there are strong enough people in the club to give him fearless advice.

JJ back round 3/4

The one positive is that everyone would have got all the volume in before that time. That's the key, a good preseason always helps increase the chance of a full season in average to great form. So while we got a few knocks, it's actually a positive overall imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere but is Lynch injured? From what I have read he did not play AFL or VFL on the weekend.

Hope not, as he was a really exciting prospect at the end of last year.

Thanks for the info!

Interesting if true (and I'm not disputing it at this stage).
It shows that player strength & conditioning and medical care is a much more complex issue than many here would have us believe. ("Our S&C people must be s**t because we get so many injuries", "We must have the worst medicos in the league" etc)

At the same time some have been querying why we didn't play interclub practice matches. Yet here we have evidence of nearly four full games worth of intra-club matches which we scarcely knew about.

So what do we do ... sack Bevo? Of course not - he's trying to get us cherry ripe for Round 1 and maybe keeping the wraps on his game plans for 2019.

At the same time he's got to learn to strike a balance if such an intense workload is going to decimate our squad. I hope there are strong enough people in the club to give him fearless advice.

Our squad is hardly decimated. Who was injured during this match simulation? Just JJ and Jong, right? Hardly damning. If anything the fact that we sustained so few injuries is evidence that the workload was not excessive.

Our squad is hardly decimated. Who was injured during this match simulation? Just JJ and Jong, right? Hardly damning. If anything the fact that we sustained so few injuries is evidence that the workload was not excessive.
I was responding to another post that suggested injuries to JJ, Jong and Duryea (his was minor) may have been workload related. So if workload was indeed the cause of both JJ's and Jong's injuries (debatable) that's nearly 5% of our list.

Decimation was the ancient Roman practice of executing one out of every ten soldiers in a legion that had mutinied, defied orders or shown cowardice. So yes, two weekends like that would be nearly 10% of our list, i.e. decimation.

I'm sceptical but in any case my point was not so much the extent of the injuries but:
  1. We are quick to blame our S&C and medical staff without knowing the full story - this anecdote presented a different side to it
  2. Bev is a very strong-willed person which is not a bad thing in itself but it's important that he receives frank and fearless advice from his hired experts ... and that he heeds them from time to time. Being surrounded by yes-men is a recipe for failure in the long term.

I was responding to another post that suggested injuries to JJ, Jong and Duryea (his was minor) may have been workload related. So if workload was indeed the cause of both JJ's and Jong's injuries (debatable) that's nearly 5% of our list.

Decimation was the ancient Roman practice of executing one out of every ten soldiers in a legion that had mutinied, defied orders or shown cowardice. So yes, two weekends like that would be nearly 10% of our list, i.e. decimation.

I'm sceptical but in any case my point was not so much the extent of the injuries but:
  1. We are quick to blame our S&C and medical staff without knowing the full story - this anecdote presented a different side to it
  2. Bev is a very strong-willed person which is not a bad thing in itself but it's important that he receives frank and fearless advice from his hired experts ... and that he heeds them from time to time. Being surrounded by yes-men is a recipe for failure in the long term.

The mental gymnastics in this post are impressive.
The poster whose information you're using to speculate on also mentioned that Jong's was an impact injury, not work-load related. You're stretching too hard to include Duryea's non-injury. That leaves us with JJ, who makes up something like 2.2% of our list. That's still a long way from your historical definition of decimated.

The mental gymnastics in this post are impressive.
Thanks!
The poster whose information you're using to speculate on also mentioned that Jong's was an impact injury, not work-load related. You're stretching too hard to include Duryea's non-injury. That leaves us with JJ, who makes up something like 2.2% of our list. That's still a long way from your historical definition of decimated.
Not sure if you're just trying to have a bit of fun or if you're serious Scrag, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Read carefully and you'll see that
  • I was discounting Duryea's injury as minor (yes the original poster did in fact use the term injury)
  • I said it was "debatable" whether they were both load-related (for the very reason that Jong's was described as an injury from a late tackle).
  • I said I'm sceptical.
The points I was trying to make didn't depend on whether the injuries were indeed load related or whether they were decimated, duodecimated or quintated. I was drawing attention to the fact that more goes on behind the scenes with medical and S&C staff than many people here give them credit for.

Just reported that now Adams will miss the start of the season due to secret knee surgery. What a surprise!
Bloke just wanted enjoy his many rehab sessions in the sun for the next few years. An outdoor physio table and barbell bench set were key clauses in his contract. A good chance for him to work on the glamour muscles and his tan at the same time.

2019 is the year for honesty. No one on this board is devastated for Adams injury. We all feel mild glee. No one here once Stringer to ‘get over his demons’.....I hope he does a ACL round 1. F*ck him.

Am I to assume from this you have never had a back injury ? I sustained one decades ago, and I'm still limited as to what I can, and can't do. I was warned by the medicos and others, that a back injury, once sustained, can easily equate to a lifelong weakness. Years of treatment, and medications, and it still causes me limitations and pain. His obviously, is not as serious a mine originally was, but even soft tissue injuries to the back can take a long amount of time, that is if it ever comes completely back to where it was pre injury. Likely he will always have the potential for relapses. I still require repeated treatments when it decides to play up.
I know it is frustrating, his not being available, but he does need our patience, and hopefully they can get him back out on the park soon, and more often than not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back