AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish - Won't play round 2 due to hamstring awareness - 22/3

Remove this Banner Ad

03 - parish.jpg

Contract Status: Unrestricted free agent 2028 or 2029
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 18, doug85

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm not really seeing what he is doing or not doing that wouldn't have been expected pre draft. He is a good user of the ball which is what he was expected to be. I dont think there were ever going to be any real match winning points of difference that we thought we'd be getting that haven't been seen.

He was always going to be a low risk even contributor. Maybe not getting the ball enough or winning as many clearances as he could?

Can someone fill me in further on this?

Edit: The above may seem like a knock on him, but it certainly isn't meant to be. I think he is playing his expected role just fine.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm not really seeing what he is doing or not doing that wouldn't have been expected pre draft. He is a good user of the ball which is what he was expected to be. I dont think there were ever going to be any real match winning points of difference that we thought we'd be getting that haven't been seen.

He was always going to be a low risk even contributor. Maybe not getting the ball enough or winning as many clearances as he could?

Can someone fill me in further on this?

Edit: The above may seem like a knock on him, but it certainly isn't meant to be. I think he is playing his expected role just fine.

I think his debut season was high quality, and he was played largely in a natural midfield role. Since then he's been played outside the midfield, and hasn't really 'improved' (numbers wise) as such because of it. We've all had pretty high expectations on him because of how he started, yet he's probably one of the draftees with less upside given he was a pretty known quantity when we took him. Francis was your high-risk / high-reward pick, Parish was a safe bet for an AFL quality midfielder.

He's a midfielder, and if he's got the tank and size to play on-ball I think we'll see him continue the good form he finished 2018 with. Since his return from VFL his average disposals (18 vs 22), and (I know people will criticise this) Supercoach score (71 vs 90) all jumped noticably, indicating he was getting more of the ball, but also providing more impact with it.

Check out his career averages; brilliant in 2016 and hasn't really changed since, largely due to playing a more outside / half-forward type role. I think he'll have a good 2019.

eb043234d7.png

Also; consider just how good his 2016 was given the below:

31b7a22032.png

Last edited:

Hey guys, couldn't find a topic thread to put this so I put it here.

Your boys were up here in Kyneton yesterday doing a bit of training and also a auskick session with the kids.
The boys all seemed to engage pretty well with the kids and the kids loved it so just wanted to say thank you to the EFC and the players for putting on a good show.

I put it in here as Darcy was the standout with engaging with the kids.

Thank you :thumbsu:

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Hey guys, couldn't find a topic thread to put this so I put it here.

Your boys were up here in Kyneton yesterday doing a bit of training and also a auskick session with the kids.
The boys all seemed to engage pretty well with the kids and the kids loved it so just wanted to say thank you to the EFC and the players for putting on a good show.

I put it in here as Darcy was the standout with engaging with the kids.

Thank you :thumbsu:
Growing up with 3 younger brothers he would be used to dealing with younger kids and going to as many of their games as he can shows how much he cares aswell.

While attending training, my eyes show me that Parish is a bit bigger around the chest and the shoulders - In saying that, he was definitely in the previous pre-season - Reckon he's just about right for size - I'd worry if he bulks up any more.

While attending training, my eyes show me that Parish is a bit bigger around the chest and the shoulders - In saying that, he was definitely in the previous pre-season - Reckon he's just about right for size - I'd worry if he bulks up any more.

Would be happy for him to graduate from the Dylan Shiel school of big chested mother*ers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I finally got a chance to watch JLT 1 last night and thought my boy Darcy Parish did some nice things around the contest without being a standout. Everyone in the side was rusty though. I still think he's in for a big year. Ploughs article is basically just saying he wants to see more spread which is ok, but he's wrong that he shouldn't/ cant play inside as thats where Darcy can thrive with quick clean hands and decision making imo. He's solid enough and will continually get stronger as he gets older. Still only 21 Plough.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
What was Parish like as an U18? What kind of player are we actually expecting him to be like? Not sure if you recall his draft year or not.
He was more of an outside type, used the ball better than he does now aswell but he still wasnt overly quick. He mostly played half back in his bottom age year before moving onto a wing/midfield/half forward the next year.

FlyingV

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
I kind of agree with Wallace TBH, looks like he’s still finding his identity in the midfield. Having built his tank in the offseason will hold him in a good position to play more outside this season.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Gaff won more of the ball and was a better kick. Parish was alot like Sloane when Sloane played 18s, Sloane spent most of his 18s on the wing if i recall correctly.

If Parish could emulate Sloane that would be a pretty good outcome. He seemed well off the pace last week, hopefully we see more this week. McGrath really set the example for the young players in the second half.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
If Parish could emulate Sloane that would be a pretty good outcome. He seemed well off the pace last week, hopefully we see more this week. McGrath really set the example for the young players in the second half.
The player Parish should be looking to emulate is Sloane, make aggression the staple of his game even Devon Smith in terms of intensity is another he can emulate.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
The player Parish should be looking to emulate is Sloane, make aggression the staple of his game even Devon Smith in terms of intensity is another he can emulate.

Actually Smith would be a great rolemodel, Parish is a little taller and therefore should end up heavier, but I can see that style.

Imagine if all our players had the intensity and aggression Smith did?

Likely none of them would survive the preseason fights

Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
100% agreed. Not sure if he's smart enough though. Comes across to me as confident but way too confident. Sloane would be the perfect mould for him to emulate.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

Come on Terry, Parish doesn’t have the speed of Zorko or the kicking skills of Gaff to play those roles. The Parish of under 18s was never that type either.

I read it as just a nice way of saying he's probably not good enough at the moment.

It stood out like dogs balls when he played 2s last year. He's about the same standard as Mynott.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back