Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
The point of the rule ultimately is to increase scoring. The hold your ground rule or whatever its called was brought in for the same reason. To create more scoring.

I think attendance figures are a pretty good indication the product isn't the worst it's ever been

If you actually believe that the manipulated attendance figures are a reasonable indication of what people think then the PR machine has another victim.

If there was a poll up about whether footy was better ~15 years ago now atleast 50% would agree

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Taggers should be just as if not more important. Going to want to stop the best mids have time clearing to one on ones.

Different sized grounds will be a factor. SCG with the 50m arc basically on the square will still allow players to come in straight away.

Great point. Will make a bif difference at the longer grounds too like Shell.

Is Longmore clever enough to have at least two plans for this, starting with one at home and one away?

I wonder how this will affect the rise of pressure forwards?

Less valuable as presses become less prominent? More important in the immediate entries?

Will smaller players need to be better crumbers to capitalize on fast entries?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I wonder how this will affect the rise of pressure forwards?

Less valuable as presses become less prominent? More important in the immediate entries?

Will smaller players need to be better crumbers to capitalize on fast entries?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It is probably going to have several effects but only at the margins i.e it is not going to radically transform the dominant game style by itself

"Pressure forwards" will still be a thing but I suspect both the 6-6-6 and the kick out changes will marginally reduce their value. It is a little bit harder to keep the ball in after points and the value of players that can mark or crum (thus reducing the marginally the relative value of pressure) in the from 6 after centre bounces.

I think it will take longer for teams to morph back into extra-players-behind-the-ball-structures after centre bounces than many people think but it will still happen. Likewise teams playing territory-press systems.

Wackajack

Team Captain
Mar 4, 2011
Darwin
AFL Club
Collingwood
If you actually believe that the manipulated attendance figures are a reasonable indication of what people think then the PR machine has another victim.

If there was a poll up about whether footy was better ~15 years ago now atleast 50% would agree

Manipulated attendance figures? That's a pretty interesting accusation, you got evidence to back that up or you just wearing your tin foil hat.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

And if you asked the same people if they were getting more sex now or then you would get a strong correlation too

Manipulated attendance figures? That's a pretty interesting accusation, you got evidence to back that up or you just wearing your tin foil hat.

Having worked a few venues, the figures do tend to be boosted and that goes for all sports/events. In theory, the official attendance includes everyone who was on site (staff, food/merch sales, security, etc.), so is always going to be higher than ticket sales, etc. and there are always going to be some estimates there, but sometimes the difference between the figures do make you wonder just which orifice they pulled that out of.

Wackajack

Team Captain
Mar 4, 2011
Darwin
AFL Club
Collingwood
Having worked a few venues, the figures do tend to be boosted and that goes for all sports/events. In theory, the official attendance includes everyone who was on site (staff, food/merch sales, security, etc.), so is always going to be higher than ticket sales, etc. and there are always going to be some estimates there, but sometimes the difference between the figures do make you wonder just which orifice they pulled that out of.

While I'm not calling you dishonest, anecdotal evidence makes for a pretty poor argument.

So I think my initial point stands.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

The AFL i'm pretty sure explicitly does not include staff....in fact from memory they were reducing Adelaide oval reported numbers for this reason. The AFL only counts ticketed entries (i.e. it also doesn't count ticket holders that don't attend like many foreign sports do)

It wouldn't shock me if "different" approaches have been used for the Giants and the Qld clubs....but ultimately topkent's claim requires crowd inflation to be some phenomena to have exploded in the last 15 years after the organised football revolution has destroyed interest

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

Maybe that was a poor choice of word, manipulated fixtures to maximise attendance numbers

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Not sure how the 6-6-6 will play out for the tiges however one rule change that will definitely help us is the kick in rule. Teams will need to be accurate against us as every kick in will end up on the wing with short and houli sharing the honours.

It feels like a return to the early 2000s

A strong genuine ruck and an athletic back up

Three key forwards and defenders

Great crumbing forwards

Taggers

I just hope we don’t see the return of the flood

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
The AFL i'm pretty sure explicitly does not include staff....in fact from memory they were reducing Adelaide oval reported numbers for this reason. The AFL only counts ticketed entries (i.e. it also doesn't count ticket holders that don't attend like many foreign sports do)

It wouldn't shock me if "different" approaches have been used for the Giants and the Qld clubs....but ultimately topkent's claim requires crowd inflation to be some phenomena to have exploded in the last 15 years after the organised football revolution has destroyed interest
No reason to think so, given each ticket holder has to scan in, I cant believe an accurate record is difficult.

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Teams have always been demolished.. the standard of football was at its lowest I've ever seen in my life. I've never turned off so many neutrals games before from being bored.

If full forwards start kicking bags again that's a huge tick in my book
Not sure how one or two forwards kicking a hundred improves the game not that it needed improving really.

Part of the reason we dont see the 100 goal scorer is because coaches dont want it, as it is to easy to take that one player out of the game leaving a team no options, Buddy the last 100 goal kicker is a prime example.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure how one or two forwards kicking a hundred improves the game not that it needed improving really.

Part of the reason we dont see the 100 goal scorer is because coaches dont want it, as it is to easy to take that one player out of the game leaving a team no options, Buddy the last 100 goal kicker is a prime example.

That's right.

There is no way we are ever going back to goal-square-bears kicking 100 goals are year on the back of numerous leads into massive space or one-on-one goal square contests

People might be nostalgic for that - each to their own - but you can't unteach tactical know-how.

One of the most exciting things about 6-6-6 for me is the tactical development around it

Even if we have less goals now they are, on average, far craftier or more skillful than the bulk of the goals kicked in back in the good old days

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
The point of the rule ultimately is to increase scoring. The hold your ground rule or whatever its called was brought in for the same reason. To create more scoring.

I think attendance figures are a pretty good indication the product isn't the worst it's ever been

I'm not so certain, I'm inclined to believe that the intent is to stop the congestion of play. Sure that may result in higher scoring but you'd argue that HQ don't necessarily want higher scores but rather freer flowing footy. OK at the endth degree we'd end up with something akin to AFLX but again I don't think that's the aim of HQ, the optimum goal would be somewhere in the middle - and for mine it's a thumbs up if that balance can be found with some consistency.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

No one said 100, you invented your own argument to argue

I wanna see more one on one contests in the forward half. More forwards leading at the footy rather than chip scabbing out the back

Juzzk1d

Senior List
May 1, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Richmond will be the biggest losers of the 6-6-6 rule. Statistically, worst league in the club for center clearances and a ruckman who needs support by Grigg. Not only that, but all of the past two years they played extras in their backline which allowed Rance to not have to man up on someone, now he has to be accountable 1 on 1. They're doomed...

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
No one said 100, you invented your own argument to argue

I wanna see more one on one contests in the forward half. More forwards leading at the footy rather than chip scabbing out the back
I think you know what I mean
The good forwards have always led hard at the footy, not sure we need rule changes to turn our game into some kind of basketball, that's boring, I like defenders getting a fair chance.

Nothing wrong with the game that constant rule changes will fix, quite the opposite, leave the game alone, our game was always good the worst thing to happen to it is a rules committee.

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Richmond will be the biggest losers of the 6-6-6 rule. Statistically, worst league in the club for center clearances and a ruckman who needs support by Grigg. Not only that, but all of the past two years they played extras in their backline which allowed Rance to not have to man up on someone, now he has to be accountable 1 on 1. They're doomed...
Yeah I noticed that in the JLT game where we had 13 more scoring shots and Rance dominated:rolleyes:

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
I'm not so certain, I'm inclined to believe that the intent is to stop the congestion of play. Sure that may result in higher scoring but you'd argue that HQ don't necessarily want higher scores but rather freer flowing footy. OK at the endth degree we'd end up with something akin to AFLX but again I don't think that's the aim of HQ, the optimum goal would be somewhere in the middle - and for mine it's a thumbs up if that balance can be found with some consistency.
As long as we don't go back to the Ross Lyon style of the naughties, that was truly terrible, all the top teams move the ball fast and score heavily as it is.

I'm not sure 666 will make a lot of difference, it may even hamper the weaker teams more, seeing more blowouts, which isn't a good thing.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

Even if that was true Grimes and Astbury are very good 1 on 1 defenders and so is Vlastuin. Rance doesn't even have to take the best tall

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
That's not a good argument
Troll posts don't deserve good arguments, well I read it as a troll if it wasn't then apologies to the poster.

Our line up is not the same as last years, we have the Coleman medallist and Lynch up forward so will likely benefit from 666, especially if it does enable more one on ones, we also have a very good defence so again I cant see it harming us a great deal no matter how we played last year you play to the rules in place. So far the JLT game is all we have to go on and it didn't harm us at all, in fact I barely noticed it.

The rule that may hurt us more is the ruck rule, but then we do have other options other than Grigg, Balta looked good and Lynch could also pinch hit in the ruck, we have one of the better centre lines as well so they will benefit from 666 more than being harmed and can rove of the oppo ruckman if need be.

Back