Life

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anybody else do a lot of living on the weekends, but S.F.A during the week? I work, train footy and sit on my a$$. But come weekends I'm never home and always out and about.

I wouldn't say I do heaps but always try and do something on the weekend, much to the missus hatred. She could lie in bed all weekend watching TV. I find it such a waste of time when you could be out doing something, anything. If I do nothing on the weekend it feels as though I haven't had any fun time and find myself back at work and just a boring lifestyle.

I wouldn't say I do heaps but always try and do something on the weekend, much to the missus hatred. She could lie in bed all weekend watching TV. I find it such a waste of time when you could be out doing something, anything. If I do nothing on the weekend it feels as though I haven't had any fun time and find myself back at work and just a boring lifestyle.

I couldn't think of anything worse than wasting a whole weekend inside watching TV. Can do that stuff throughout the week because it is relaxing after work. But weekends are made for activities and exploration IMO.

My full empathy to the current generation and the few professionals I know in their 40s and 50s who are experiencing underemployment and unemployment.

I couldn't even get volunteer work in the field I recently got qualified via a Grad Dip in. Joined that organisation, all volunteer shifts given to those with lots of experience and thus all the graduates stopped attending the mandatory monthly meetings.

I'd consider working for free if it was a month long internship at NASA or Harvard or something prestigious like that but not some run of the mill job for some multinational just wanting free labour. A lot of graduates barely get paid more than full time minimum wage anyway, less if they are worked over time. Grad lawyers do a s**t ton of hours and try and one up each other in the hope of impressing the partners which is a pretty well worn pathway to a good wicket and that just sounds ****ed.

What I would agree with (and have done before) is working on short term contracts. Obviously that still depends on short term work being available.

I'd consider working for free if it was a month long internship at NASA or Harvard or something prestigious like that but not some run of the mill job for some multinational just wanting free labour. A lot of graduates barely get paid more than full time minimum wage anyway, less if they are worked over time. Grad lawyers do a s**t ton of hours and try and one up each other in the hope of impressing the partners which is a pretty well worn pathway to a good wicket and that just sounds ******.

What I would agree with (and have done before) is working on short term contracts. Obviously that still depends on short term work being available.
Yeah, I can understand working unpaid for a month at places like Goldman Sachs or Google, where the jobs are highly sought after and you need to do anything you possibly can to stand out.

The woman in the article mentioned worked for Muffin Break or something like that. Sorry, but who is going to give up 8+ hours a day + travel expenses for a potential job offer at a company like that? It isn't exactly a dream job at a prestigious corporation.

I don't even want to go Muffin Break as a customer.

Maybe there are roles at Muffin Break HQ (she did mention having someone in marketing which isn't really a store role unless they are outside wearing a sandwich board) that we don't know about, but by the same token maybe the roles that were previously offered and/or the jobs they led to were s**t. They sought comment from a former franchisee but it would have been interesting to hear from a former intern.

Bradman's hand eye coordination and technique would stand up in any era.

What is interesting is how our 4 bowlers would go in past eras where they didn't need to grind out overs on flat pitches.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...k=5184ba40713f81bab59e452ce649edc7-1551869473
It was a Test match rest day and a 70-year-old Bradman, wearing no protection, showed no fear facing up to Thommo.

“I thought this won’t take long — this little old guy with glasses,’’ Thomson recalls.

“I thought I had just better bowl my legspinners as it wouldn’t look too good in the newspaper if I killed Don Bradman in a game of backyard cricket.

“Bradman had nothing but a bat ... no protector, no pads or anything on a green turf wicket.

“I thought ‘good luck old man you will be dead shortly’.

But Thomson was astonished when the ‘old man’, who had played his Test match 30 years earlier in 1948, started to unleash his famous shots.

Thomson is one of the few people alive today who have bowled to Bradman, who died in 2001.

“He just belted the first ball and I thought hmm that wasn’t a bad shot, it must have been luck,’’ Thomson says.

“I bowled one more ball and then sat aside and watched this guy for 20 minutes flog two young bowlers.

“If you had Greg Chappell, Viv Richards or Ian Chappell in there they would have been backing away because they had no protective gear.

“But Bradman just backed himself to hit everything and I was gobsmacked. If anyone doubts how good a batsman he was, they should come and see me.’’

Natalie Brennan is worse than a normal baby boomer giving bad advice. She's not actually ignorant. She works high up in Muffin Break which is built around sucking in money from franchisees (not a unique model, but she works for Muffin Break). If they go broke who cares someone else will come in and pay the fee and do the same thing. Rinse and repeat. So ******* over actual employees and potential employees is completely normal and acceptable from her point of view.

“People are clueless,” she said.

Not only am I not going to hire you, I will tell everybody about you as well. That’s the thing people don’t realise — whatever industry you’re in, it’s a small industry.”

[...]

Ms Brennan recalls how, after she went overseas to a conference for two weeks, one of her subordinates demanded a payrise for “looking after the department” while she was gone.

“I said, ‘Actually you didn’t, I wasn’t on leave. You had maybe an extra 10 emails to deal with for two weeks. That was part of your job. If you had solved this problem or saved us money, that’s a thing to bring to me.’”

https://amp.news.com.au/finance/wor...d/news-story/57607ea9a1bbe52ba7746cff031306f2

Last edited:
Does anybody else do a lot of living on the weekends, but S.F.A during the week? I work, train footy and sit on my a$$. But come weekends I'm never home and always out and about.
Isn’t this what every bloke does and has done for decades?

I work, come home, maybe chill out and watch a TV show/movie or exercise and that’s it.

During footy season in particular I’d rarely be home ona Saturday. Friday it varies.

"If you had solved this problem or saved us money, that’s a thing to bring to me." Re Pay rises

This is something I'm seeing more and more of in Aus. The sentiment comes from America and is basically" doing your job really, really well and professionally for years isn't enough. Even for a CPI type adjustment. You need to be doing something "extra". And they won't even talk about correcting for adjustments in market rate. You want a reaction from one of these types - slide a Hays salary survey across the desk at them.

So basically the longer you work for one of those places, the more disadvantaged you become. I've worked for a CEO who strongly held these same views. ASX listed. They're out there - be vigilant!

I relax on days off of work (what are weekends?), TV, video games, and driving my car. I'm more inclined to be wanting to live it up after work on a work day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the topic of life....

I went in to my local coffee club for an early morning meeting.

In there were a bunch of public high school girls, ordering breakfast, milk shakes, coffees with their 1k smart phones by their sides.

As a gen X I reflect back and remember I was flat out taking a dollar to school to buy a coffee flavoured Big M a couple of times a week. And it was Vegemite or liverwurst on toast for me for breakfast.

My conclusion.
We have a very high standard of living today.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Isn’t this what every bloke does and has done for decades?

I work, come home, maybe chill out and watch a TV show/movie or exercise and that’s it.

During footy season in particular I’d rarely be home ona Saturday. Friday it varies.

I work with a bunch of females who do stuff nearly every night. I guess my male friends are more similar to me.

"If you had solved this problem or saved us money, that’s a thing to bring to me." Re Pay rises

This is something I'm seeing more and more of in Aus. The sentiment comes from America and is basically" doing your job really, really well and professionally for years isn't enough. Even for a CPI type adjustment. You need to be doing something "extra". And they won't even talk about correcting for adjustments in market rate. You want a reaction from one of these types - slide a Hays salary survey across the desk at them.

So basically the longer you work for one of those places, the more disadvantaged you become. I've worked for a CEO who strongly held these same views. ASX listed. They're out there - be vigilant!

It's valid in a lot of roles. If you are a director/partner in some kind of services firm (law, accountancy etc.) you get paid for bringing in work. No one goes to a firm because of the 5 graduates earning $60k a year, they go for the names of the higher ups. As a worker ant you want someone to notice that you are good at what you do and are someone they can sell for a higher rate and then you have grounds to earn a higher rate. A trap in those fields is they tend to charge a high flat rate for anyone. They'll sell 100 hours at $250/hr and 80 of them will be done by underlings earning $30-40/hr leaving a lot of fat left over for high salaried partners, directors etc.

If you work for BHP or something then they could make or lose squillions regardless of your contribution because their business is in selling a product that fluctuates in price and demand. Best way to get up that ladder is to swallow their corporate bullshit. And be a woman, but that's an aside.

Adjustments for market rate are interesting because market rates go up and down. If market rates go up everyone wants a pay rise. If they go down, no one puts their hand up for a pay cut.

It's valid in a lot of roles. If you are a director/partner in some kind of services firm (law, accountancy etc.) you get paid for bringing in work. No one goes to a firm because of the 5 graduates earning $60k a year, they go for the names of the higher ups. As a worker ant you want someone to notice that you are good at what you do and are someone they can sell for a higher rate and then you have grounds to earn a higher rate. A trap in those fields is they tend to charge a high flat rate for anyone. They'll sell 100 hours at $250/hr and 80 of them will be done by underlings earning $30-40/hr leaving a lot of fat left over for high salaried partners, directors etc.

If you work for BHP or something then they could make or lose squillions regardless of your contribution because their business is in selling a product that fluctuates in price and demand. Best way to get up that ladder is to swallow their corporate bullshit. And be a woman, but that's an aside.

Adjustments for market rate are interesting because market rates go up and down. If market rates go up everyone wants a pay rise. If they go down, no one puts their hand up for a pay cut.

Totally agree. Different roles, etc. If you're in a BD position, or a role with a BD element - that bringing in new money becomes part of doing your job competently. IMO you don't want to tie everybody's role to their direct involvement to that regardless of what they're supposed to do. I've worked in a place that tried that and it ends badly. People go rogue, don't share. It hurts the client who may not get the best outcome. And that hurts your company in the longer term.

In a previous life I was a program manager delivering a multi million dollar government contract. The implicit view was that if I doubled the contract value over a year through additional works, extensions, variations, etc. then I was doing a "good job". We paid people about 40% of what we charged them out for.

Market rates are interesting, because as you say nobody puts their hand up for a cut. It may vary by sector, but for me the market rate tends to either rise or be stagnant. But I'm very fortunate. And again, speaking personally, if I'm talking about market rates then I'm not chasing minor adjustments or incremental pay rises. It's because I'm down well under the bottom of the band and this is part of a robust negotiation.

Most businesses aren't stupid. They know how rates affect things and keeping cost rates down whilst increasing revenue rates is sound business strategy. And if they find themselves over-committed on employee market rates, they have many tools to deal with it. All the contractors get let go. The business restructures or "right sizes" and a bunch of people are laid off or encouraged to reapply for the "new" read cheaper positions. We may not explicitly put our hands up for a cut, but in the scenario of dropping market rates, they can be put up for us. Seen all of this happen firsthand.

You're bang on about corporate bullshit though. It's all just a game and none of this matters. You want their money, you've got to at least look like you're playing by their rules. :moustache:

Most businesses aren't stupid. They know how rates affect things and keeping cost rates down whilst increasing revenue rates is sound business strategy. And if they find themselves over-committed on employee market rates, they have many tools to deal with it. All the contractors get let go. The business restructures or "right sizes" and a bunch of people are laid off or encouraged to reapply for the "new" read cheaper positions. We may not explicitly put our hands up for a cut, but in the scenario of dropping market rates, they can be put up for us. Seen all of this happen firsthand.

Yep seen this many times. Have worked for company that maintains a core of maybe 30-40 people then will go up to 60, 70, 80 depending on workload. Contractors come and go, and you'd often work with someone for 6 months, they'd finish up and then reappear 6 months later. People bemoan casualisation of the work force but I know plenty of people who have made very good livings out of being guns for hire.

You're bang on about corporate bullshit though. It's all just a game and none of this matters. You want their money, you've got to at least look like you're playing by their rules. :moustache:

Sadly in a lot of big companies if you go with something like 'I've got this great idea that will save millions for the company and improve work flow etc.' the next level or levels of manager up will only look at it from a perspective of how it affects them. If they can sell it up the chain and win credit they'll be on board. If it makes it look like what they were doing was poor or they feel their position being threatened they'll shut it down.

On the topic of life....

I went in to my local coffee club for an early morning meeting.

In there were a bunch of public high school girls, ordering breakfast, milk shakes, coffees with their 1k smart phones by their sides.

As a gen X I reflect back and remember I was flat out taking a dollar to school to buy a coffee flavoured Big M a couple of times a week. And it was Vegemite or liverwurst on toast for me for breakfast.

My conclusion.
We have a very high standard of living today.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
There are also lots of poor kids tho.

I dunno I don't really see that as an indictment. Kids have gotten pocket money for decades.

Nobody went out for coffee when I was at school, that was an adult thing. Been a bit of a cultural shift there.

I remember going to school with a couple of gold coins and that bought recess, lunch and after school tennis. Make your own way there, make your own way home. The equivalent today I imagine would be at least $25 or so (been a while since I was at a school canteen) given insurances and supervision etc. for sports. We're talking 1995 vs 2019 but it's more than inflation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back