Draft Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

When you’re asking someone to back up their claim with cold hard facts, of course it’s perfectly reasonable.

If you were talking about one or two players, or one or two stats, then I’d agree, but we’re talking about a range of stats of a large group of players from only their first 3 seasons over a 10 year period ... nah, it’s kinda ridiculous to ask someone to collate all that here when any one of you can just go click on a freely available stats site easy as pie.

Output, just output, stats, realism

Nothing to do with awards based on people's opinions

peoples opinion based on output?

Lever was in the AA squad in his third year. Weitering was dropped from a putrid 2 win football team to the VFL.

If that is not output than I don't know what is!

In fact, lets compare them in their 3rd season of football

1551933177330.png
Free kicks against and clangers are the only 2 stats that Weitering tops Lever lol...no make that ******* triple lol!

Last edited:
You must be thinking of Harris Andrews who's only a year older. Head and shoulders, and then some above Weitering.
I’m staggered it took so long for someone to mention Andrews tbh...

I’m staggered it took so long for someone to mention Andrews tbh...

I'm extremely biased (obviously) but I'd argue that Harris would have been in the AA team if he hadn't lost a month of football due to Cameron. To me he's pretty clearly at least the third best KPD, and at just 22 (and won't turn 23 until december) he's by far the best young KPD though I understand why Melbourne fans will argue for Lever ;)

Back to the Weitering thing I think its fair to say he hasn't yet lived up to his pre-draft expectations but it is still very early for most KPDs - plenty of time to improve.

I'm extremely biased (obviously) but I'd argue that Harris would have been in the AA team if he hadn't lost a month of football due to Cameron. To me he's pretty clearly at least the third best KPD, and at just 22 (and won't turn 23 until december) he's by far the best young KPD though I understand why Melbourne fans will argue for Lever ;)

Back to the Weitering thing I think its fair to say he hasn't yet lived up to his pre-draft expectations but it is still very early for most KPDs - plenty of time to improve.
Nah that's a fair shout mate, I agree with you that Andrews could have easily been AA and agree he is the best young KPD.

These threads are the ultimate form of modern tribal warfare.

Let's be honest, it's too early in their careers to be making grand proclamations, particularly writing off young talent still finding their feet at afl level. The talls in this draft will not peak until 2021 - 2022. In that period anything could happen. For example, I suspect that McKay will be a better footballer than Curnow in the future.

Each year of this thread the evaluations of this draft. Sometimes each game the evaluations change.

I will say that Oliver is clearly the standout player of the draft. Hindsight is wonderful, but given the circumstances, every recruiter would have taken Weitering at pick 1 at the time

These threads are the ultimate form of modern tribal warfare.

Let's be honest, it's too early in their careers to be making grand proclamations, particularly writing off young talent still finding their feet at afl level. The talls in this draft will not peak until 2021 - 2022. In that period anything could happen. For example, I suspect that McKay will be a better footballer than Curnow in the future.

Each year of this thread the evaluations of this draft. Sometimes each game the evaluations change.

I will say that Oliver is clearly the standout player of the draft. Hindsight is wonderful, but given the circumstances, every recruiter would have taken Weitering at pick 1 at the time

Out of curiosity why do you think McKay could be better than Curnow? Do you think Curnows ceiling is overrated?

Out of curiosity why do you think McKay could be better than Curnow? Do you think Curnows ceiling is overrated?
I think Curnow will be an X Factor star but McKay more dependable week in week out. McKay's mobility, particularly beneath his knees, for a 200cm key forward is exciting. He is also really quick as shown multiple times last year where he started 5 metres behind opponents and ended up speeding away. Also a beautiful kick. In summary, I think he is the complete package as a modern key forward. He does, however, have to work on hitting contests harder in the air and he could still fill out more.

My comment was not a criticism of curnow at all. I just have huge hope for McKay. I am aware I could look silly in three years - it's just a feeling

I think Curnow will be an X Factor star but McKay more dependable week in week out. McKay's mobility, particularly beneath his knees, for a 200cm key forward is exciting. He is also really quick as shown multiple times last year where he started 5 metres behind opponents and ended up speeding away. Also a beautiful kick. In summary, I think he is the complete package as a modern key forward. He does, however, have to work on hitting contests harder in the air and he could still fill out more.

My comment was not a criticism of curnow at all. I just have huge hope for McKay. I am aware I could look silly in three years - it's just a feeling

Fair call.

peoples opinion based on output?

Lever was in the AA squad in his third year. Weitering was dropped from a putrid 2 win football team to the VFL.

If that is not output than I don't know what is!

In fact, lets compare them in their 3rd season of football

View attachment 630798
Free kicks against and clangers are the only 2 stats that Weitering tops Lever lol...no make that ******* triple lol!

You mean Lever playing as a 3rd tall, while they had Rutten/Hartigan and Talia playing the 2 KPD roles?

McCluggage in 2018 caught McGrath and Taranto has overtaken him.

I’d agree with that but it looks set to go up a level this year, as does Taranto. Not sure on McCluggage who needs to improve his contest work to keep up.

You mean Lever playing as a 3rd tall, while they had Rutten/Hartigan and Talia playing the 2 KPD roles?
Nope. Rutton retired in 2014. Lever wasnt drafted yet.

I believe they call this check mate

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are right, but only check

I believe Hartigan and Talia would still be checkmate
Not at all, the fact you are now changing the goal posts is a sign that you are blatantly wrong.

One player was in the AA squad, he managed to work his way into the best team in the league and become a key pillar.
The other was playing VFL after some putrid form in the worst side in the league, a side that they gift games to anybody.

But this wasn't enough for you, you wanted stats to prove Lever was better. Those stats were shown. Lever was better in EVERY category than Weitering (except clangers and frees against).

You lost, you were wrong!

Now run along and take your bullshit theory that Weitering is in the best 3 performing KPD's in their first 3 years over the last 10 years with you!

Not at all, the fact you are now changing the goal posts is a sign that you are blatantly wrong.

One player was in the AA squad, he managed to work his way into the best team in the league and become a key pillar.
The other was playing VFL after some putrid form in the worst side in the league, a side that they gift games to anybody.

But this wasn't enough for you, you wanted stats to prove Lever was better. Those stats were shown. Lever was better in EVERY category than Weitering (except clangers and frees against).

You lost, you were wrong!

Now run along and take your bullshit theory that Weitering is in the best 3 performing KPD's in their first 3 years over the last 10 years with you!

Lever a KPD now?

Interesting

Weitering played well last night.
I stood up for him in this thread over the summer, and in game 1 he returned the favour.

Not saying he'll be the best from this draft (that is currently Oliver), but some folks were not aware that Weiters had a good 2nd half of 2018 (as the team stunk). He continues that form in game 1.

I like SOS's draft here in 2015:

- Jacob Weitering
- Harry McKay
- Charlie Curnow
- David Cunningham

Watched the whole game and thought Weitering was ok. Had a few brain fades unfortunately, but defended strongly at times

Remove this Banner Ad

Back