Toast Nathan Burke elevated to LEGEND status

Remove this Banner Ad

190307-Bryce-HoF-Edit.jpg

St Kilda Football Club champion Nathan Burke has been elevated to ‘Legend’ status at the club’s Hall of Fame event on Thursday night.

Burke became the club’s ninth ‘Legend’, joining the likes of Darrel Baldock, Tony Lockett and Trevor Barker as immortals of the red, white and black.

https://www.saints.com.au/news/2019-03-07/burke-becomes-a-legend

Fantastic stuff for Burkey. One of the hardest working players to ever wear our colours. Three hundred gamer, broke Stewart Loewe's (then) club games played record, an all-out star.

Represented the Big V 11 times
4x All-Australian
323 games, 124 goals
1993 Best and Fairest
1996 Best and Fairest
1999 Best and Fairest
St Kilda FC Team of the Century 2001
2008 Inducted to Hall of Fame
2019 Elevated to Legend

WELL DONE, BURKEY!

Here's some of his best moments.

nathan-burke.jpg

CafHWioXEAIizko.jpg

peter-everitt-robert-harvey-and-nathan-burke-of-st-kilda-in-action-picture-id1563865

6689f044593b9820d2578a789e62e474

B9IbhUdCEAIM0qs.jpg

I was there it was fantastic tonight.
Banger said some brilliant words about Burkey about just how tough the guy was. He played through some unimaginable injuries and pain that even the legendary Rob Harvey was in awe of!
Such a true sainter who played with players from Barker, Burns and Cunningham to Lockett, Loewe, Winmar and Harvey and then to end off with Reiwoldt, Lenny, Dal Santo, Milney and Goddard.
As a 42 year old sainter to hear all of that from one of my favourite ever players Banger about another absolute legend of our club Burkey all I can say is congratulations Burkey you’re a dead set legend mate! 👍

Last edited:
I was there it was a fantastic tonight.
Banger said some brilliant words about Burkey about just how tough the guy was. He played through some unimaginable injuries and pain that even the legendary Rob Harvey was in awe of!
Such a true sainter who played with players from Barker, Burns and Cunningham to Lockett, Loewe, Winmar and Harvey and then to end off with Reiwoldt, Lenny, Dal Santo, Milney and Goddard.
As a 42 year old sainter to hear all of that from one of my favourite ever players Banger about another absolute legend of our club Burkey all I can say is congratulations Burkey you’re a dead set legend mate! 👍
Here here!
A big hearted warrior who got the very best out of himself!

Gun player, underrated.

Overshadowed by some AFL greats that he was team-mates with in Plugger, Banger and Nicky but played as big a part as any of them (probably more as he was a selfless leader like Stewie) in turning our culture around - which was no mean feat!

A real warrior and a Saint through and through.

Good to see Burkey elevated!

Other than Trevor Barker, I can't think of another example in the entire AFL system where a player has been elevated to legend status in their own club's hall of fame, yet hasn't even been inducted into the regular AFL Hall of Fame.

He's always just been a good guy Burkey. Was usually the guy chatting and shaking hands when all the players were already back in the rooms.

Good to see Burkey elevated!

Other than Trevor Barker, I can't think of another example in the entire AFL system where a player has been elevated to legend status in their own club's hall of fame, yet hasn't even been inducted into the regular AFL Hall of Fame.
Is this true?
Considering some of the names in the AFL hall of fame, both Barker and Burke''s omission is a disgrace!
Mind you the former Blues champ Wayne Dominator Johnson was only just inducted last year!

Nathan presented my father with his 70 years of support certificate (signed by all the players) in the rooms before a night game at Waverley against Essendon.
Yes, THAT night game.
Made my father’s day, especially as the whole exercise was a surprise for him.
He had no idea what was happening when we wheeled him downstairs to the rooms before the game.
Chuffed as.
My old man never said much, that night he didn’t need to.
Nathan was brilliant.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nathan presented my father with his 70 years of support certificate (signed by all the players) in the rooms before a night game at Waverley against Essendon.
Yes, THAT night game.
Made my father’s day, especially as the whole exercise was a surprise for him.
He had no idea what was happening when we wheeled him downstairs to the rooms before the game.
Chuffed as.
My old man never said much, that night he didn’t need to.
Nathan was brilliant.
Burkey is a super impressive guy...…..that's a great story sunny3193.

I was at the function last night......and boy....what a night it was...…..will do a quick review on the other thread......and when Burkey was announced as being elevated to legends status....I thought...."awesome"

Mid way thru the night the people sitting next to me said they knew who was being elevated and did I want to know....I said no,I wanted to be surprised.

The "whispers" during the night was it was going to be Verdun Howell or Big Carl.

Burkey is such an impressive speaker.......I'd never heard him speak much over the years but his passion and content last night was absolutely terrific.....I was so rapt he got the gong last night and so was the sell out audience....he received a great standing ovation.

Burkey is a super impressive guy...…..that's a great story sunny3193.

I was at the function last night......and boy....what a night it was...…..will do a quick review on the other thread......and when Burkey was announced as being elevated to legends status....I thought...."awesome"

Mid way thru the night the people sitting next to me said they knew who was being elevated and did I want to know....I said no,I wanted to be surprised.

The "whispers" during the night was it was going to be Verdun Howell or Big Carl.

Burkey is such an impressive speaker.......I'd never heard him speak much over the years but his passion and content last night was absolutely terrific.....I was so rapt he got the gong last night and so was the sell out audience....he received a great standing ovation.
He does a lot of resilience coaching these days.

I worked with Burkey at a consulting firm back in 2011. He's a ripper bloke, very down to earth, and a great leader. No wonder he had the career he did.

Is this true?
Considering some of the names in the AFL hall of fame, both Barker and Burke''s omission is a disgrace!
Sadly it is true, along with Stewart Loewe and Nicky Winmar.

Those four should be absolute certainties above many of the recent inductees.

As it stands, of the modern era, all we have represented are Plugger (2006) and Harvs (2012), with Plugger elevated to legend in 2015.

As for the St. Kilda hall of fame, I'd say Justin Peckett and Austin Jones would have to be next in line, at least for the modern era anyway. I also reckon Joffa Cunningham is a glaring omission, especially when Greg Burns and Jeff Sarau are already in.

I'd think Roo should be straight in at the next ceremony, whenever that will be, along with perhaps BJ, Joey, Sam Fisher and Nicky Dal. Jack Steven will also be in once he's done.

Wildcards could be David Grant, Steven Baker, Kosi and Andrew Thompson. I can't see Barry Hall ever making the Saints Hall.

And let's not forget about Fraser Gehrig, Luke Ball, Aaron Hamill, Sean Dempster and Matt Maguire.

What does everyone else think? Are there any other glaring omissions? Anyone who will never make it?

And for those wondering, Spud is already in. But I reckon him, Winmar or Loewe will be the next legends, at least from the modern era. Barker, Plugger and Harvs (and now Burkey) are already Saints legends.

Last edited:
I was there Thursday night for this. Down the front on Table #5. I was invited by my mate who is the grandson of Wels Eicke who is in the Hall of Fame. He captained/coached around the 1920's and won the inaugural Trevor Barker medal.

Was a great night. The speeches were awesome. I think one of the funniest moments would have to be Milney in the queue to the bathrooms saying 'I'll just squeeze in here lads, I've only got a little one' as he pushed his way to the urinal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back