Oppo Camp Jono Marsh has been signed by the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd take him. Him leaving really hurt our defensive stocks at the time.

I'd say he'd be borderline because he's missed 2 seasons, but his pace was great and 2 of our other defenders - DUNN and GOLDY - are coming to the end.

I'd agree from a football standpoint. Marsh had enormous potential as a KPD. Awesome athlete with fabulous speed and strength. Hit contests really hard and read the ball flight well. Kicking was dodgy, but improving.

I just have the impression that his realationship with the club is irredeemable.

It's pretty rare in the AFL for a a player to get a second chance at their original club though a few examples do exist at Collingwood like Beams or Marty Clarke.

I assume if we didn't approach Marsh for our VFL side then we are unlikely to have him in our plans for this season.
Really good players do return to their original clubs from time to time.

Much rarer for basic average types to return.

Last edited:

It's pretty rare in the AFL for a a player to get a second chance at their original club though a few examples do exist at Collingwood like Beams or Marty Clarke.

... or Chris Tarrant.

Yep. Often what separates good players from average ones is their ability to dontetirn.
Well now we know the secret ingredient of Willie Wonka.

Curious how do people arrive at conclusion his original departure was acrimonious?

I thought he had illness and sad to the boys he can’t do this anymore.

He didn’t want a league career and wanted to return to WA?

Now he’s feeling better, has a lady love that wants to live here...

He’s in a better space, so can’t see any issues as such.

Curious how do people arrive at conclusion his original departure was acrimonious?

I thought he had illness and sad to the boys he can’t do this anymore.

He didn’t want a league career and wanted to return to WA?

Now he’s feeling better, has a lady love that wants to live here...

He’s in a better space, so can’t see any issues as such.
The issue I see is that no one else wanted him at the draft so why should we? How does he fit our list needs?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue I see is that no one else wanted him at the draft so why should we? How does he fit our list needs?
And that The Great, is exactly correct.
Does he fit our needs?

If yes, then sure, if not, it’s a pass.
That simple.

and will we even call on any other player?

I always thought that Jono had the potential to be a more physically blessed version of Jimmy Clement. If so I believe that he could become the best FB in the comp. As such it is my belief that we should get him if we can. Also , I beleive that our list is so strong at the moment, baring another massive run of injuries, that we can afford to take the risk on a one year contract for a potential AA FB.
But
That’s just my opinion.

I always thought that Jono had the potential to be a more physically blessed version of Jimmy Clement. If so I believe that he could become the best FB in the comp. As such it is my belief that we should get him if we can. Also , I beleive that our list is so strong at the moment, baring another massive run of injuries, that we can afford to take the risk on a one year contract for a potential AA FB.
But
That’s just my opinion.
James Clement had terrific disposal skills. Jono doesn't.

James Clement had terrific disposal skills. Jono doesn't.
For sure! Despite Marsh having fine athletic qualities, it's still like comparing a draught horse with a thoroughbred!! Clement was a real class act, while Marsh is yet to show he is good enough to play top level football. I wouldn't be surprised if he got there, so I hope someone gives him a chance. If it's not us, and he does well elsewhere, then fair enough.

Yeah, if Beams and the club were able to reconcile after those bridges were seemingly burnt to ashes, then anything’s possible.

I’m not so sure that Marsh was very close with anyone from Collingwood though, which was Beams’ main reason for his return. From a previous article I’ve read Marsh said he would isolate himself due to his depression at the time.

Did not think Beams would come back in the fold, so it’s a future possibility that Jono can
Thats a fair point; though Beams is high level A grade top end talent.

Marsh is handy C grade depth in my view from exposed form.

Yeah, if Beams and the club were able to reconcile after those bridges were seemingly burnt to ashes, then anything’s possible.

I’m not so sure that Marsh was very close with anyone from Collingwood though, which was Beams’ main reason for his return. From a previous article I’ve read Marsh said he would isolate himself due to his depression at the time.

Were in the hugging era.
They’d probably hug him to the point where he’d say enough already.

On a serious note, Our club seems very close so I’d imagine they’d welcome him strongly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back