Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interestingly, Trent Copeland has been taking wickets at a higher rate than ever, as is just as miserly on the economy side, too. I feel like his ship has well and truly sailed, though, and he'll be relegated to the broadcast team only.

which broadcast team? Ch7 aren't covering the Ashes.

We take 18 on the actual tour?

Wouldnt waste a spot on an extra keeper, Paine isnt getting dropped so just fly one over if he gets injured. Tell them they are first on a plane if something happens. I'd do the same with the back-up spinner, although O'Keefe probs need to be around the tour squad if he's the back-up given his history.

1,2,3: Warner, Burns, Harris, Khawaja, Bancroft
4,5,6: Smith, Head, Patterson
7: Paine
8,9,10,11: Cummins, Richardson, Starc, Lyon, Hazlewood

That's 14 whose spots on the tour are almost locked in at this stage.

Their form would have to drop off a cliff not to make it on at least the tour

One rounder spot to be fought between Henriques, Stoinis and Labuschagne (please no)

One more bowling spot to be fought between Tremain and Bird

Remaining two to be fought between Pucovski, Maxwell, Renshaw and Maddinson.

toml

Club Legend
Nov 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Good post Bob

If that was the selected team I would make a couple of swaps

Warner
Bancroft
Patterson
Smith
Head
Burns
etc

As I have said before I am worried about Burns with the swinging ball at the start against Anderson and co....Reckon Burns has the game for a middle order role

How are you worried about Burns’ issues but not Bancroft’s? Bancroft already got eaten alive on flat decks in Australia against Broad and Anderson because he always falls over his front pad. 5 outswingers then an inswinger and he’ll be trudging back to the pavillion.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How are you worried about Burns’ issues but not Bancroft’s? Bancroft already got eaten alive on flat decks in Australia against Broad and Anderson because he always falls over his front pad. 5 outswingers then an inswinger and he’ll be trudging back to the pavillion.
Bancroft has played over inEngland with deent results, dont think Burns has. And besides he did have that year off in whih he said he was working on technical issues so l assume that. Definitly would say that Bancroft is the form batsman in the Shield atm along with Pucovski

Sproj

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Bancroft has played over inEngland with deent results, dont think Burns has. And besides he did have that year off in whih he said he was working on technical issues so l assume that. Definitly would say that Bancroft is the form batsman in the Shield atm along with Pucovski

And Harris, Maddinson and Patterson.

Dude Pucovski's not even the form batsman of his side. Harris and Maddinson are in better form than both.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
And Harris, Maddinson and Patterson.
I was thinking who is the number 1 batsman in the Shield at the moment, shouldn't have put Pucovski in there if l was only thinking 1. But arguably l think Bancroft is ahead of all of them. I can't get excited over Maddinson, he was completly out of his depth when he was in thetest side what a year or 2 ago.

I was thinking who is the number 1 batsman in the Shield at the moment, shouldn't have put Pucovski in there if l was only thinking 1. But arguably l think Bancroft is ahead of all of them. I can't get excited over Maddinson, he was completly out of his depth when he was in thetest side what a year or 2 ago.
Doesn't mean he isn't the "form batsman of the Shield". Since Christmas:

Harris: 407 runs at 101.75
Maddinson: 334 runs at 83.5
Bancroft: 287 runs at 95.67

Whichever way you spin it, Bancroft would be behind Harris at the minimum, and more than likely Maddinson.

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast

I just think Burns will knick off early against the likes of Anderson and Co......Burns can bat in the middle order and he is very good aggressive batsmen when set....if Bancroft gets picked he is more of a natural opener...and bats time which we need.

Burns can bat in the middle order that is to his advantage....Burns to me is better suited for flatter decks...not seamers in the UK...that's not saying he can't bat in the UK I just think he is suited to a middle order role over there. The good thing worth Burns is that he gives the selectors an option of an opener or middle order player...this could be important

Yes I agree Bancroft tends to fall over his front pad but he has had 12 months to work on it and what I have seen from him batting for WA recently he is a lot more upright....also Bancroft scored a very good 70 odd in his last test innings which a lot of people tend to forget

This is only if Bancroft makes the team .....he might not be playing with Harris opening along with Burns

We just have to wait and see...heaps more cricket to go

Sproj

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Probably a silly question but I don't live in Aus so not always abreast with all the news, why isn't Siddle playing this round?

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast

Whichever way you spin it, Bancroft would be behind Harris at the minimum, and more than likely Maddinson.
Reckon Bancroft is ahead of Maddinson based on not stinking up his early international exposure and greater form over recent years. It's good to see Maddinson making runs, but given his woeful form just one season ago, I wouldn't be taking him to the Ashes. An A-team spot should be on the cards and consideration for next summer if his form keeps up.

I also wouldn't be taking Pucovski to England, he struggled after a week up in Queensland, FFS. Needs time to get himself sorted before putting the pressure of a nation on his shoulders.

Reckon Bancroft is ahead of Maddinson based on not stinking up his early international exposure and greater form over recent years. It's good to see Maddinson making runs, but given his woeful form just one season ago, I wouldn't be taking him to the Ashes. An A-team spot should be on the cards and consideration for next summer if his form keeps up.

I also wouldn't be taking Pucovski to England, he struggled after a week up in Queensland, FFS. Needs time to get himself sorted before putting the pressure of a nation on his shoulders.
I'm purely talking about their current form.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Fair enough about Harris (although you could put an argument down to the pitches being at the MCG = flat and Optus Stadium = swinging).

Certainly would be ahead of Maddinson, just think he needs more than a few good matches to be in the test team.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Fair enough about Harris (although you could put an argument down to the pitches being at the MCG = flat and Optus Stadium = swinging).

Certainly would be ahead of Maddinson, just think he needs more than a few good matches to be in the test team.

Lol, Bancroft played the first game back on the flattest of roads that only got a result because WA sent a barely grade standard side over!

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
Let’s not forget that it was only 12 months ago that Maddinson was sacked by NSW.

He’s in good form, but I’d personally like to see him sustain that form before we go rushing him back into the test side.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Has been playing at the Junction.

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Lol, Maddinson is not ahead of Bancroft for Test selection. Having a good few games but he's lost the plot before and every chance it'll happen again so he needs to prove it over at least a full season.

Bancroft was poor in the Ashes but he was our best batsman in South Africa (far better bowling), has county experience and has made a great start in the Shield games playing in a style which is necessary for at least one of the openers in England where you need to grind out the first session before looking to score.

I can't take Harris seriously in the Ashes when he was nicking off to Sri Lanka's trundlers even in Canberra. Not what you want partnering Warner at the top over there.

Originally I would've picked either Bancroft or Renshaw and given Renshaw's dire form the choice is pretty obvious. I'd take Harris as the back up over Burns and that's about it.

Lol, Maddinson is not ahead of Bancroft for Test selection. Having a good few games but he's lost the plot before and every chance it'll happen again so he needs to prove it over at least a full season.

Bancroft was poor in the Ashes but he was our best batsman in South Africa (far better bowling), has county experience and has made a great start in the Shield games playing in a style which is necessary for at least one of the openers in England where you need to grind out the first session before looking to score.

I can't take Harris seriously in the Ashes when he was nicking off to Sri Lanka's trundlers even in Canberra. Not what you want partnering Warner at the top over there.

Originally I would've picked either Bancroft or Renshaw and given Renshaw's dire form the choice is pretty obvious. I'd take Harris as the back up over Burns and that's about it.
Where did I say I'd select him over Bancroft? I just disagreed with the assertion that Bancroft is in clear better form than him.

Sproj

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Honest question, could you consider taking Wade as the all rounder? He is a good enough bat on present form to be at least a batting back up anyway, he can go as reserve keeper as well for obvious reasons and is better than an average part-time bowler.

I’d suggest the all-round options are Stoinis, Laughingstock, Wade and Maxwell. Am I crazy or is this a legitimately good idea?

I mean a batting order with Wade at 6 certainly isn’t the worst option going round.

On another note, I would seriously consider this top 6:

1. Warner
2. Burns/Khawaja/Maxwell
3. Patterson
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Wade/Maxwell

The thing working against Maxwell here is that he hasn’t been given a shot at long form for ages unfortunately, so he’s out of sight and out of mind for selectors. Plus, Smith and Head are spinning options, Wade/Stoinis offer the pace options as a point of difference.

I do think Maxwell could handle opener just quietly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back