Analysis 2019 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great. Now give me the ones that didn't make it from the fourth round or later. I've got all day.

I dont need to. Your assertion that Kerr cant be any good because of where he was taken is not NECESSARILY true. Apologies if this is not what you were saying/meaning. Of course I am not saying that I wouldnt acknowledge that first round draftees have a higher success rate compared to 4th rounders- that is clearly true -on average. But there are also the Tamblings and jaksch's of the first round and there are the hirds and Betts of the latter rounds that show that we should acknowledge that players develop at differing rates and TAC level form is not the be all and end all . And dare I say it, the attitude of the player to hard work and improving himself is critical for their AFL career. By all accounts Kerr is really putting in on the training track and also on the field for the NB's. Add this to the fact that he is key position and therefore takes longer to develop, and I think you can see why I think its premature to write him off.

Senior, mature, tough and fit, Ed is a perfect complement to the younger "more talented" mids we're developing. Has an important role and can't see him missing a game that he's fit for in 2019.

Yeah we need a battering ram place holder so that our younger mids can rotate in and out. IMO Russell will only play our young mids when they are feeling fit and psychologically ready. Young bodies need rest and their minds sometimes needs to get confidence back. Having Ed, Murph, Cripps gives us a reliable core from which to launch from. If all the young mids are fit and firing then Murph drops off to the forward line for example, but if he is needed because SPS and DOW are being managed then it is super handy to be able to rely on Murph. Thats also why having such a large and talented young mid group is important - to allow our young mids to replace each other rather than always relying on Murph for example. I think Ed has shown himself to be far more bullet proof than Murph, and so I see he and Cripps being our mainstays this year

1552037258769.png 1552037535140.png Would love to see this happen at the end of season......Welcome Tim Taranto!!

Maybe don't have Kerr as the welcoming committee with Juddy.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1552037258769.png
Probably get Setterfield instead of Kerr to help reunite these past-GWS and past-Sandringham Dragons team-mates....Oh boy!!!!
1552037535140.png
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry, just started drooling over what this electric half-forward could add to the Carlton dynasty.

Prefer Taranto and Billings over Coniglio. Just saying.

Coniglio 25yrs Dec 1993 118 games 63 goals
Taranto 21yrs Jan 1998 37 games 13 goals
Imo there's a fair gap between these two from a trade and contract comparison Eiffel, Coniglio's market value to Carlton or back home to say Fremantle would be minimum 900k on a six year contract, if he decided to leave and GWS forced a trade he's worth two good first rounders, better player than Treloar or Shiel. Taranto is an outstanding talent, he can play inside or out, forward or midfield, has poise and football smarts. If I'm Carlton, he's market value is 600k on a four year deal, if i was GWS would rate his trade value at a good first round & a second round pick.👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imo there's a fair gap between these two from a trade and contract comparison Eiffel, Coniglio's market value to Carlton or back home to say Fremantle would be minimum 900k on a six year contract, if he decided to leave and GWS forced a trade he's worth two good first rounders, better player than Treloar or Shiel. Taranto is an outstanding talent, he can play inside or out, forward or midfield, has poise and football smarts. If I'm Carlton, he's market value is 600k on a four year deal, if i was GWS would rate his trade value at a good first round & a second round pick.👍
Depends how high the 1st round pick is...
Both would cost a top 5 pick plus maybe a mid to late 2nd or a 3rd. Or 2 picks (2 x picks in the range of 6 - 14). No way 2 picks beyond 14 get either done (1 would need to be in the single digit figures for a 2nd to be beyond 14).

When it comes to wage, coniglio will get at least a million a year if he decides to leave. And if Taranto decides to leave, his pay packet would be not too far off. Id suggest an average of 800k a year. Gws would be stoked if Taranto stayed and was under 700k a year imo.

Obviously Coniglio is a FA but i can understand the exercise you've put forward.

If Coniglio decided to leave, for a club such as us or the Dockers, the only way GWS would be able to match the offer, is if the lost/traded other quality players

Basing it on pure trade value, Taranto is worth more. He may not be at Cogs level yet, but has more years left in the game, which is a major factor when determining value

Depends how high the 1st round pick is...
Both would cost a top 5 pick plus maybe a mid to late 2nd or a 3rd. Or 2 picks (2 x picks in the range of 6 - 14). No way 2 picks beyond 14 get either done (1 would need to be in the single digit figures for a 2nd to be beyond 14).

When it comes to wage, coniglio will get at least a million a year if he decides to leave. And if Taranto decides to leave, his pay packet would be not too far off. Id suggest an average of 800k a year. Gws would be stoked if Taranto stayed and was under 700k a year imo.

Obviously Coniglio is a FA but i can understand the exercise you've put forward.
By good draft picks, "i should have worded it better" what i meant was high draft picks around the 4-8 range I would not be excepting anything worst than that HCJ. 700-800k for a 37 game player just seems too high in my opinion but i totally understand that to get a player of his talent to your club, you have to pay a little overs to get the deal done👍

Last edited:
If Coniglio decided to leave, for a club such as us or the Dockers, the only way GWS would be able to match the offer, is if the lost/traded other quality players

Basing it on pure trade value, Taranto is worth more. He may not be at Cogs level yet, but has more years left in the game, which is a major factor when determining value
Fair enough, I see where you're coming from Arrow, Hypothetically If Taranto wanted to be traded to Carlton at the years end what's your opinion on his trade/contract value.👍

Looking at it right now Taranto vs Coniglio is potential vs proven form. Taranto has the potential to an A grade midfielder but Coniglio has proven form as an A grade midfielder. A players trade value and salary should be on there proven form not there potential. There have been a lot of cases where a player was traded on potential and has never lived up to it and clubs have burnt top picks on average player. In saying that IMO by the end of year Taranto could have proven form, he's ready for a break out year.

Watching Paul Ahern running around and looking good for North after 2 knee reco's gives me hope that Docherty will come back as good as ever

Hopefully the fact that Docherty has done the knees after his body has developed will make it easier, remembering that Ahern injured them at a young age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back