JLT-2 Crows v GWS - Post Match Thoughts

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I was there, right behind the Crows' bench. Apart from the obvious, I was pleased with Tex, Talia, Sauce. Even Hartigan and Keath weren't too bad and seemed to improve as the game went on (of course, there was the obvious clanger from Harto, but he made them feel his body and spoiled many oppo marks). Gibbs was a bit quiet, but he seemed to be following Cognilio.

We were clearly the better team, but that statement hides quite a lot. Our tackling was absolutely superb, until we ran out of puff in the last. Our one-on-one defence seemed very good overall. We kicked some great goals and points, but we have an enormous amount to work on. (1) I have never seen so many embarrassing clangers on our behalf! If we get those out of our game, we will win by a lot more. They were absolutely atrocious, some from the usual suspects, some not. (2) Our handballing in close was atrocious, so many "half-length" handballs to the ground or oppo. These were amplified because we persisted in doing a sequence of these to each other until the oppo ran away with the ball. (3) The "short kicks" were equally atrocious, many were near airies. (4) Kicking into the man was atrocious also: too much of the taking one step back, hesitating, and then deciding reluctantly to do a short pass, only to obviously kick into the man. What's the matter with either doing the short kick immediately, or running further back and missing the man on the mark?

Sorry for the rant, but there was much frustration.

Two highlights: (1) Tex's rocket long handball, which was an object lesson to all the perpetrators of the crap listed above; and (2) Fog's wonderful "bump" on some oppo in the last which led to a goal. Unfortunately, Fog did several good things, but also participated in the clangers mentioned above.

Finally, they were fitter than us. The last quarter followed last week's pattern: this time Cogniglio and Cameron were the ones running wild: they seemed to be well held earlier. We had to bring on Fog an Cam to stem the tide and they certainly straightened things up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love it if someone could post a review/summary of the game and tag me in it/PM me. I’m currently on a 7 day deployment in Victoria fighting the fires as part of a CFS contingent. Missed the entire game, and the signal is trash here, so I can’t flick through pages to read many posts.

I was there, right behind the Crows' bench. Apart from the obvious, I was pleased with Tex, Talia, Sauce. Even Hartigan and Keath weren't too bad and seemed to improve as the game went on (of course, there was the obvious clanger from Harto, but he made them feel his body and spoiled many oppo marks). Gibbs was a bit quiet, but he seemed to be following Cognilio.

We were clearly the better team, but that statement hides quite a lot. Our tackling was absolutely superb, until we ran out of puff in the last. Our one-on-one defence seemed very good overall. We kicked some great goals and points, but we have an enormous amount to work on. (1) I have never seen so many embarrassing clangers on our behalf! If we get those out of our game, we will win by a lot more. They were absolutely atrocious, some from the usual suspects, some not. (2) Our handballing in close was atrocious, so many "half-length" handballs to the ground or oppo. These were amplified because we persisted in doing a sequence of these to each other until the oppo ran away with the ball. (3) The "short kicks" were equally atrocious, many were near airies. (4) Kicking into the man was atrocious also: too much of the taking one step back, hesitating, and then deciding reluctantly to do a short pass, only to obviously kick into the man. What's the matter with either doing the short kick immediately, or running further back and missing the man on the mark?

Two highlights: (1) Tex's rocket long handball, which was an object lesson to all the perpetrators of the crap listed above; and (2) Fog's wonderful "bump" on some oppo in the last which led to a goal. Unfortunately, Fog did several good things, but also participated in the clangers mentioned above.

Finally, they were fitter than us. The last quarter followed last week's pattern: this time Cogniglio and Cameron were the ones running wild: they seemed to be well held earlier. We had to bring on Fog an Cam to stem the tide and they certainly straightened things up.

Don't agree they were fitter. They rotated 26 players since the start. We played 23 until mid way through the final quarter.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Didn’t they rotate more players than us?

Lambies_Lambs

Draftee
Sep 22, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

I agree with the fumbles and clangers but this is where theoretically preseason is meant to dust off those cob webs, so keen to see how we go under pressure in round 1. Think there was lots of positives from tonight in terms of going back to 2017 crows

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide

Was frustrating at times, but I think a large part of that is probably rust and why we were keen for 2 genuine hit outs pre round one.

Our inside/outside brigade looks so much more potent with Smith and B Crouch, plus a fit M Crouch and Sloane.

I like that we appear to have put a lot of effort into a tempo game. We have a powerful offensive gamestyle, but in the last few seasons when that’s broken down we’ve been in trouble.

Certainly starting to see what we saw in Chase Jones to rate him so highly. I think he’s looking ahead if Murphey at this stage for rd 1. Seems to be quickly acclimitising to the level, with high level pace and pressure, but also some class starting to shine through. Looks like we’ve we’ve identified needing to get early games into.

Walker started slow and had me a little worried, but started to work into it nicely. Betts is certainly looks to be rebounding too.

Still a bit to work on re execution and perhaps the odd lapse. Hopefully will improve as we get some games into the guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back